CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   I need some Information.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/355908-i-need-some-information.html)

seadog2 September 9th, 2008 08:59 PM

I need some Information....

Some friends of mine were to sail on the Millennium on Sept 5th. They were in Seattle catching a connector filght to Vancover when they got word that a family member was not well. They missed thier cruise. They contacted Celebrity and explained the situation and asked if they could roll thier paid cruise to another sail date. They were told no. They asked for a refund and were told none could be given. We are talking more than $4,900.00 for a 12 day Alaska cruise.
Here is unfortunate part. They did not purchase travel insurance. What if anything can be done?

Kuki September 9th, 2008 10:30 PM

They could try and get their travel agent to advocate for them with the cruise line. Unfortunately in this situation it's going to be unlikely they can remedy the situation.

These situations are precisely why the cruise lines (and 3rd part companies) offer travel insurance.

They spent $4900, and chose not to spend maybe $400 to insure they were covered for a wide variety of things.

This may sound harsh, but people seem to expect the cruise lines to cover the risk of every possible occurance which might occur for EVERYBODY who books. They want them to take all the risks of things going wrong, probably just because they view the cruise lines "deep pockets".

kryos September 10th, 2008 07:23 AM

Re: I need some Information....

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2
Here is unfortunate part. They did not purchase travel insurance. What if anything can be done?

Sadly, I would bet nothing whatsoever. The cruise lines simply don't give refunds for this sort of thing. That's why they offer travel insurance or encourage passengers to acquire the insurance through outside vendors.

While your friends' situation is tragic, there are thousands of others who have been turned down for a refund with equally tragic circumstances, and if the cruise lines started making exceptions for certain cases, they would wind up making exceptions in all cases.

Sadly, it would seem to me that your friends are just out $4,900.

Blue skies ...

--rita

seadog2 September 10th, 2008 08:06 PM

Thanks for the replys. I echoed those same sentiments to them but I thought I might get some other views. Thanks again.

ragtiki2005 September 11th, 2008 12:37 AM

Too many horror stories about unfortunate incidents like this. I used to never buy the insurance but now I do. Bob

spacewoman September 11th, 2008 07:48 AM

Is it wrong to say shame on their travel agent for not explaining the purpose of travel insurance?

I have to say when we used to vacation in Florida we never thought of having travel insurance which was a huge risk financially.

When we booked our first cruise in 2003 the idea of travel insurance crossed our minds because of how far in advance the cruise lines want to be paid in full. I don't recall if our agent first suggested it or we brought up the subject but we realistically looked at the fact that the cruise was going to cost us an extra $200 that's all. We figured it into the cost of the trip basically.

Right now we have a couple who were supposed to come on our next cruise with us who can't because she has a blood clot and an infection from the clot. We have just filed the claim paperwork because we did get travel insurance for them. We're being reimbursed 50% by the cruiseline under their refund policy and the rest will come from the travel insurance. This represents over $2,000 not as much as your friends but it represents a lot of money to us.

Your friends story just represents a warning to anyone reading your post to GET travel insurance. We originally purchased to get reimbursed for cruise money paid but realize this - this insurance covers medical expenses. Our health insurance policies (most companies I ever asked anyway) only cover us in the United States. You take a cruise to Bermuda, fall and break your leg, it's money out of your pocket.

I Love NC September 11th, 2008 11:40 AM

Does anyone know if these folks Had charged their trip with American Express Platium, would they get any money refunded?

Just wondering!!

seadog2 September 12th, 2008 09:38 PM

I spoke with them again and Their TA did recommend travel insurance and they declined to get it they said they may add it later and never did. As far as what card was used I didn't ask. It's still a sore spot for them.
DW and I always buy the insurance at the time we book I look at it like protecting an investment. When they told me about their story I asked them if they bought the insurance and they said "no" the first thing I said was OUCH!!!!
Definately spend the extra money for the peace of mind.

Kuki September 12th, 2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Love NC
Does anyone know if these folks Had charged their trip with American Express Platium, would they get any money refunded?

Just wondering!!

Nope! I have a platinum Am Ex and their travel insurance policy wouldn't cover any of that unless they purchased additional travel insurance from Am Ex.

I occassionally see offers but have never looked closely at their travel insurance.