Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Beginner

Default Civitavecchia to Rome - Cutting it too close?

My wife and I would like to see the Vatican on our own. The ship (Summit)arrives at 7AM, and the only tickets we could get for the Vatican Museums are for 10:30AM or 1PM.
Are we cutting it too close? Would we be able to make it there in time?

Does anyone know where the Celebrity transportation drops us off in Rome?

What time the bus departs Rome?

We also can get 1PM tickets (our tour is 3 hrs long), which ends at 4PM.

I'm assumming that the bus leaves the dock at 8AM (it says its a 9.5 hr excusion, including travel time), which would mean that it leaves at 4PM to be back at the port by 5:30PM.

Any assistane would be of great help.
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm not sure where Celebrity's drop off spot in Rome is, sorry.

It does sound as if you are planning the Rome on your own tour. I think it will be difficult to fit in your Vatican tour if you stick with this.
Only because it does take some time to load all the departing tour buses at the port. You may want to look at arranging private transportation. That way you could leave as soon as the ship is cleared, meet your car, and probably get to Rome in time for the earlier Vatican tour, and still have time to visit other sites. Leave early enough to get back to the ship, and you eliminate worries about rushing to meet the bus back.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Admiral

There is a train station in the town of Civitavecchia with several trains per hour going to Rome. Local trains take you to Rome's central station (Roma Termini) in about an hour and 20 minutes. Faster trains can make it in under an hour. The station is close to the entrance of the port, but quite a distance from where passengers usually disembark.

Cruise and Ferry passengers can catch a shuttle to the entrance of the port and walk 4 blocks to the train station. A detailed route with pictures is available on
http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=go....com/Rome2.htm

The ride into Rome takes just about an hour to get to the first stop in Rome, St. Peters Basilica.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Civitavecchia to Rome - Cutting it too close?

ctm7943,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My wife and I would like to see the Vatican on our own. The ship (Summit)arrives at 7AM, and the only tickets we could get for the Vatican Museums are for 10:30AM or 1PM.
Are we cutting it too close? Would we be able to make it there in time?

Does anyone know where the Celebrity transportation drops us off in Rome?

What time the bus departs Rome?

We also can get 1PM tickets (our tour is 3 hrs long), which ends at 4PM.

I'm assumming that the bus leaves the dock at 8AM (it says its a 9.5 hr excusion, including travel time), which would mean that it leaves at 4PM to be back at the port by 5:30PM.

Any assistane would be of great help.
The ride from Civitavecchia to Rome is about 90 minutes by taxi or motorcoach. I'm sure that you'll want to go to your hotel to drop off your luggage before going to the Vatican. I don't recommend the train because you'll spend too much time horsing with connections (port shuttle, then schlep several blocks with luggage in Civitavecchia, plus a taxi from the train station to your hotel in Rome) and it probably will cost about as for two people to take the train and then a taxi from the station in Rome to your hotel as for a taxi directly from the pier to your hotel.

Here's another option. If you book a hotel package through Celebrity, it includes the transfer directly from the pier to the hotel. When you include the price of the transfer, Celebrity's hotel packages are pretty reasonable.

As to the timing of your tour, it really depends at what time you leave the ship. You can count on the ship arriving in port very early because the last flights back to North America leave Leonardo da Vinci International Airport in Fiumicino (which is actually closer to Civitavecchia than to Rome...) around 9:30 AM -- which means a VERY early Reville and disembarkation for folks who are flying back in disembarkation day. You can leave the ship very early to make the 10:30 AM tour if you want to, but there's no reason to get up that early. If you leave the ship by 10:00 or so and take a taxi directly from the pier to your hotel, you should have plenty of time to check in, to get some lunch, and to make the 1:00 PM tour upon your arrival in the Eternal City.

Norm.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Norm, I think that this is a day tour and not the final stop for the cruise. So there are no luggage or hotel issues involved.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08