Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Captain

Default running out of small ships?

I just viewed the pictures of Equinox-it looks even bigger than the Solstice to me. Looks more like a floating condo than a cruise ship. I must admit that I'd like to go on board just to look at this engineering marvel but I have no desire to ever cruise on it. But then again, it's no where near the size of the new RCI ships at 220,000 tons and over 5,000 passengers. Good Grief! These ships cannot visit the private islands-can you imagine tendering 5000 people? Also, the ports of call are severely limited-there's not too many that can accommodate that size of ship.
The Horizon, Zenith and Galaxy are all history and I'm sure the Mercury will be next. The Millie Class ships are a nice size but how long are they going to be around? The only cruise lines who are continuing to build smaller more intimate ships are the luxury lines,which don't fit into my budget unless we cruise every 3 or 4 years. We're both in our 70's so we want to cruise once a year while we're still able to.
IMHO the idea of a cruise is "going to sea". The newer ships seem to be creating a false environment, creating the sense that your anywhere BUT at sea. On a lawn, a rock climbing wall, a skating rink, even a boardwalk???
If I want a boardwalk I'll go to Atlantic City, for crying out loud!
Celebrity has always been our line of choice and it will continue to be as long as it maintains it's smaller ships or starts building more. Maybe, by the time they run out of them, we'll be too old to cruise anyhow.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Captain

It is really just economics. As you said the only cruise lines who are continuing to build smaller more intimate ships are the luxury lines,which don't fit into your's or my budget.

The fact is they are too expensive to operate and maintain the price points we demand. Small ships have nearly as many crew, full set of officers, and the cost of fuel per passenger is far higher.

They can carry as many paying passengers on one cruise on Oasis cruise as 4 Mercury cruises at perhaps at least half the cost.

As much as many would like to ignore it but cruising is a business and it is all about profit.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: running out of small ships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacdenv24
I just viewed the pictures of Equinox-it looks even bigger than the Solstice to me. Looks more like a floating condo than a cruise ship. I must admit that I'd like to go on board just to look at this engineering marvel but I have no desire to ever cruise on it. But then again, it's no where near the size of the new RCI ships at 220,000 tons and over 5,000 passengers. Good Grief! These ships cannot visit the private islands-can you imagine tendering 5000 people? Also, the ports of call are severely limited-there's not too many that can accommodate that size of ship.
The Horizon, Zenith and Galaxy are all history and I'm sure the Mercury will be next. The Millie Class ships are a nice size but how long are they going to be around? The only cruise lines who are continuing to build smaller more intimate ships are the luxury lines,which don't fit into my budget unless we cruise every 3 or 4 years. We're both in our 70's so we want to cruise once a year while we're still able to.
IMHO the idea of a cruise is "going to sea". The newer ships seem to be creating a false environment, creating the sense that your anywhere BUT at sea. On a lawn, a rock climbing wall, a skating rink, even a boardwalk???
If I want a boardwalk I'll go to Atlantic City, for crying out loud!
Celebrity has always been our line of choice and it will continue to be as long as it maintains it's smaller ships or starts building more. Maybe, by the time they run out of them, we'll be too old to cruise anyhow.
Why not take a look at Azamara, small ships and many of the elements of Celebrity since it was originally under Celebrity.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Captain

dkj-we've looked at Azamara. It has some very nice itineraries. But still a little pricey and almost too small. I know-we're picky. BTW, you said "originally" under Celebrity. You mean it isn't any more?
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
dkj-we've looked at Azamara. It has some very nice itineraries. But still a little pricey and almost too small. I know-we're picky. BTW, you said "originally" under Celebrity. You mean it isn't any more?
Its actually a seperate cruise line under RCI. It technically really wasn't ever under Celebrity, just the ships were before Azamara was created.

Don
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Jacdenv--as an X fan, I think you owe it to yourself to give a Solstice Class ship a try. It certainly does not have a big ship feel to it. I've been on Galaxy, Constellation and Solstice, and with Solstice they've managed to keep the same small ship intimate feel. Equinox, by the way, is exactly the same size as Solstice.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

Our friends sailed on the Solstice last feb. and said the same thing-that although the ship is very contemporary it still has a certain small ship atmosphere. As soon as it starts doing more than 1 week cruises, we might just give it a try. We only cruise once a year, so try to do at least 10 days or more. [/quote]
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Jaceenv,
if you are looking at 10days + on solstice class ships, have I look at Equinox this coming winter in the caribbean (11 nights) I found the prices very competitive!

Happysailing
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Default SMALLER SHIPS

Can't agree more.. we have sailed the three Celebrity small ships, just got off the Pacific Princess (700) passengers..and have been looking at "live" pictures of theNCL Spirit..I must say I'm very impressed with this non-cookie cutter ship that has an asian theme and lots of teak. We cannot afford the smaller ships, plus many of them do port intensive itineraries where we prefer the trans-atlantic and days at sea. But maybe, just maybe for a special anniversary next year I'll try that Equinox..and it's t/a But I too don't want Central Park on a ship, nor bowling alleys or rock climbing or ice skating rinks..
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Our friends sailed on the Solstice last feb. and said the same thing-that although the ship is very contemporary it still has a certain small ship atmosphere. As soon as it starts doing more than 1 week cruises, we might just give it a try. We only cruise once a year, so try to do at least 10 days or more.
[/quote]

I have to agree with that. The Solstice is very well laid out and has a comfortable small ship feel to it.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Admiral

jacdenv24,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just viewed the pictures of Equinox-it looks even bigger than the Solstice to me.
They actually are the same size, built to the same plans. Differences will be no more extensive than the differences between MV Galaxy and MV Mercury or the differences among the four ships of the Millennium class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
The Horizon, Zenith and Galaxy are all history and I'm sure the Mercury will be next.
That's probably about right.

[/quote="You"]The Millie Class ships are a nice size but how long are they going to be around?[/quote]

GTS Celebrity Millennium, the lead ship of the Millennium class, entered service as GTS Millennium in 2000. Cruise ships usually have a lifespan of about two decades with their inaugural line, so these ships probably will be in the Celebrity Cruises fleet for another decade or so.

That said, the Millennium class are so-called "Panamax" vessels, built to the maximum dimensions that can transit the Panama Canal. Thus, Celebrity Cruises will have to replace these vessels with new vessels of comparable size to continue to operate Panama Canal itinieraries, including repositioning itineraries that transit the canal. Thus, the line probably will build at least two or three more vessels of this size whenever the company's executives decide either to retire these vessels or to transfer them to a sister line.

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Why not take a look at Azamara, small ships and many of the elements of Celebrity since it was originally under Celebrity.
I believe that, organizationally, Azamara is still part of Celebrity. It's branded separately only because there are differences in the product (no "formal" evenings, no children's, youth, and teen centers, etc.).

Norm.
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Its actually a seperate cruise line under RCI. It technically really wasn't ever under Celebrity, just the ships were before Azamara was created.
Actually, the Celebrity Cruises subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) operates and markets both brands.

Norm.