Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Beginner

Default Formal night dinners, again.

I am new to cruising. My wife booked this cruise on the Celebrity eclipse many months ago and she has been very excited ever since. Unlike her, I didnít do any special shopping regarding formal night dinners. With only a week to go, I started to feel nervous in case I am not prepared.
Although I am over sixty but I am not expert in these formal dinners. I just assumed that it is acceptable to go to a formal night dinner with a normal ( new) suite and normal tie?
Is that correct or should I go tomorrow and buy something else?
Thanks for your advice.
Thanks

James
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via ICQ to KC Gorilla

You will be fine with a suit and tie. Probably two-thirds of the men who dress for the formal dinner will be dressed in a suit or sport coat and tie. Go have a good time and enjoy yourself.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Suit and tie is okay according to Celebrity's dress code for formal nights.. I am wearing the same thing in three weeks on the Solstice...The smart casual nights are simple, nice pants and a collared shirt...Enjoy your cruise...
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

You will be a dapper dan!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Hi James & welcome, I always wear a dinner suit/Tux, but as everyone says a suit & tie is fine, I think the UK based cruises will have more in D/J's. As for the formal dinners, they ain't a lot different to the others in the MDR (main dining room). Have you asked for late sitting/early sitting or the anytime option? You will find the buffet area good, don't miss the Sunday Brunch, do try one of the speciality restaurants..our favourite was Tuscan grill, we thought Murano a bit quiet & Qsine, well, different.. but needs getting used to..I liked it my wife didn't. Bistro on 5 Creperie is a good lunch option too. Best bar for us was the martini bar ....watch the bartenders perform!! For a 1st cruise you will(should) be blown away from the moment you get on board, we think Celebrity is the best mainstream cruiseline & the Solstice class the best ships. Good choice & happy cruising!
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Casual Dining apparently being eliminated

The casual dining option on M and C class ships is apparently being eliminated according to a number of posters on various boards who have recently returned. I think it was expected that it would be eliminated on the M class ships once they got the S class makeover but the reports are that it has been eliminated on Summit which isn't due for the makeover until next year...This is in the last couple of weeks...
Old July 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for the valued advice.

We are booked for the early seating in the main dinning hall. We think we may try some of the specialty restaurants as well. We look forward to the experience.

A very nice bunch of guys in this message board. I am enjoying being with you and benefit from the vast experience of the members of the board.

Once again thank you very much.

James Cruise
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Admiral

I think you will be most impressed by the MDR, an elegant experience. I hope you have chosen a table with other people, makes dinner more of an occasion. Each to our own, but we ''don't get'' early sittings.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thumbs up Early seating

You would "get" early seatings if you had diabetes and had to stick to a regular mealtime or were not able to sleep on a full stomach. I also like having the whole evening stretching out before me and not have to go eat in the middle of it or have an 11PM show which sometimes happens. Main seating is my own.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Admiral

If you get a chance, try Murano's it is really excellent on the Solstice class ships of which Eclipse is one..You may also want to try Bistro on Five for lunch....
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm44 View Post
You would "get" early seatings if you had diabetes and had to stick to a regular mealtime or were not able to sleep on a full stomach. I also like having the whole evening stretching out before me and not have to go eat in the middle of it or have an 11PM show which sometimes happens. Main seating is my own.
Ah ..I see people who go for early dinners are ill then?
Dinner is an enjoyable part of the evening not an inconvenience.
11Pm shows are ideal for us, drinks followed by dinner then the show.