Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Default The Hot Tub Question ????

How do you feel about on-ship hot tubs?

Queeg and I were once told by a ship's doc to stay away for a variety of reasons.

Hot tubs ARE fun (we have one in our back yard) but who knows who was in a ship-board one before you and just WHAT they might have done?

The doc said that lots of people will uriniate in them, either due to the comfort level of the temperature, the lack of interest in getting out to go to the bathroom, lack of knowledge, or, possibly, BAC. (That's blood alcohol content, not bacteria.)

Worse, folks will take little diaper-wearing kids into the hot tubs. Think e-coli bacteria.

The infamous "Legionnaire's Disease" incident on Celebrity's Horizon was supposedly traced to the hot tubs.

Is the fun worth the risk?

pamda -- CruiseMates First Time Cruisers Editor who keeps her hot-tubbing at home.
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: The Hot Tub Question ????

I tend to agree for all of the same reasons. On the Millie inaugural, I decided to throw caution to the wind...figuring that it was brand new....only a few hundred TA's and TJ's (no offense pamda) had been in there first. To make a long story short...ended up with a terrible upper respiratory infection that took 2 courses of anti-b's to kill.

On the Millie TransA in April...I stayed out of the hot tubs and the T-pool...one of our friends didn't...he got an even worse URI than I had...went to ship's Doc got Rx, but wouldn't stay out of the hot tub....even though I and others cautioned him about it being the initial source...he said the mist helped...anyway he grew increasingly worse, anti-b changed...still worse...breathing treatments added...was put on 4 different anti-b's over the course of another month before it was determined that he had a FUNGUS. The at-home Doc said the spa/pool was most likely the source.

So....will I go back in?...don't think so. But to clarify...some people are just more prone to any kind of illness...all immune systems are NOT created equal. What may just about bury 1 person may never faze another...go figure.

Mgram who will just have to be a chair hog and cool off under the pool-side shower.
Old July 16th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Admiral

I really enjoy hot tubs (especially when used like the one at the phrolic), but I don't think I'll be using public ones. I did at last year's San Antonio Bored Cruise, but that was probably the last one I'll ever get into. My reasons are the same as the ones cited above.
Old July 16th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

there was a time...long ago, when you didn't have to worry, you did, but nothing happened...now life has changed, and you have continually worry about everything...they say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... be careful, anyway!!!
Old July 16th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Chyna_C

don't they empty the hot tubs or chemically treat the water? Do you stay out of the regular pools for the same reasons? I want to know before I cruise. The thought of the hottub crossed my mind but this doesn't sound too appealing to get URI etc.
Old July 16th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Hi,

From what I have read, I think I will stay away from hot tube. However, the pool in my yard has now reached 91 degrees. Does that make it a hot tub? Anyway, I can testify to the fact that it is clean!!!!!

Paul B
Old July 16th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

working for the local health dept. I bet you can guess my vote would be NO!
Angela Z.
Old July 16th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Robocop

Man, you guys sure know how to rain on my parade! <G> I love the whirlpools! I do admit that I take a shower immediately afterwards though.
Jim
Old July 16th, 2001, 09:57 PM
rsawick

Mrs. rsawick has all manner of advanced nursing degrees, and she has always looked upon hot tubs as the breeding grounds for all manner of bacterial and fungal infections.

It stands to reason. Its by definition damp and warm. And quite apart from urinating people (its unlikely that greatly diluted urine will effect anyone externally exposed), humans secrete, sweat and their dead skin flakes off in the hot tub. That makes a good organic soup for the little meanies to grow and multiply in. Lastly, if I am not mistaken, I believe that hot water opens the pores which would allow the more aggressive to gain yet another entry point. Now add in the vapor and/or steam that you may be breathing in, and thanks I will pass.
Old July 16th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I generally avoid the hot tubs for fear of being accused of moose dropping.

Regards,
Kuki
Old July 17th, 2001, 01:21 AM
Admiral

Avoid the Amsterdam for fear of bear droppings.
Old July 17th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Oh my God!!

I didn't think about this. On Millennium last Feb I got deathly ill about the third day out, and I had spent a considerable amount of time in the hottub. I will never do that again.
Old July 17th, 2001, 10:03 PM
susancruzs

My hot tub story:

I spent three days in the hospital, getting IVs with antibiotics fighting a bacterial infection. They grilled me endlessly about my habits, all these personal details I wouldn't even discuss with my sister! In the end, they were fairly certain the whirlpool from a recent hotel visit was the culprit. I don't go in hot tubs. In fact, I don't go in pools, lakes or oceans like I did before either. They weren't 100% sure but being that sick, was enough for me! Is it worth it? On my last Costa Cruise, brand new ship, the tubs were monopolized by teenagers. Now you walk up, and think great, the hot tub is empty! How do you that 8 people didn't just leave it? And they don't clean every time a group of people get out! Sorry to rain on the parade but I was really sick, I wasn't sure why, and I never want to be that sick again.
Old July 18th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Captain

No chance we'll get in the hot tubs on our up-coming cruise. I don't even select a lounge chair which is located close to the tubs. I don't want to breathe the vapors...Several of the people who got Legionaires on Horizon didn't actually get in the hot tub but rather sat for a while on the edge talking w/ people who were in it. Just breathing the moist, hot "steam" was enough to infect them.
Old July 18th, 2001, 03:25 PM
HySeas

On the Enchantment last October, they drained the tubs at night. Yep, the Hot Tubs. I thought it strange as it takes forever to heat the water again. Must have been a precautionary thing.
Old July 18th, 2001, 07:21 PM
First Mate

You all sound like a bunch of old people.! The hot tubs are no worst that any pool in the country. Just don't put your face in the water! And for the one that started this all, when was the last time your Hot Tub was used, and what did you all use it for at this party?
Old July 25th, 2001, 12:35 AM
CruzinTeen

I was actually in a hot tub on the Golden hen the "Deck attendant" took some reading of the water and said, "son, you might want to get out, this water is 30% urine. That sure made my day.....