Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2001, 07:48 PM
First Mate

Default Andy Rooney's Thoughts on Life

The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends.
I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time.
And then you die. What's that? A bonus?
I think the life-cycle is all backwards.

You should die first and get it all over with.
Then you live in an old age home.
You get kicked out when you're too young.
YOU CRUISE AROUND THE WORLD (my addition)
You get a gold watch.
You go to work.
You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.
You do drugs, alcohol and party.
You get ready for high school.
You go to grade school and become a kid.
You play. You have no responsibilities.
You become a little baby & go back into the womb.
You spend your last nine months floating...

Then, you finish off as an orgasm. I like it.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Andy Rooney's Thoughts on Life

hmmm...

Have been trying to live my life with the philosophy that I may not be here tomorrow. I am 42 years old, and have done 42 cruises. I work a part-time job just for cruise money.

Yes, I could have spent that money on investments, etc but if I live to be old and have not the health to spend it and it just keeps me in a nursing home, life has not been worth living (IMHO).

My mother was buried when she was 52, my father is only 70 and a double amputee, congestive heart failure, very bad diabetis and my sister is 47 and on total disability. If it happens to me, I'll have my memories, no money, but memories!
Old July 17th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

My dad died when he was 56, and I was 16. He worked hard towards a retirement he never got. I will NOT make that same mistake!!
Old July 17th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Admiral

My dad died suddenly at 51 ... he never got to travel to foreign shores, as I have been blessed to do. I like to think that I am doing it for both of us. Don and I are trying to pack in as much travel as possible before we no longer can. Mgram
Old July 17th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Add me to the list-- my dad died suddenly at the age of 67- two weeks after his birthday to be exact He wasent much of a traveler- his second life-- was with his grandkids-- not mine but my sisters-- too bad they didn't appreciate all that he did for them.-teenagers lol. I think what changed me most is what my mom has now-- She always wanted to go to Alaska and we did-- she took all of us last year- and I also look at thing so differently than I did before-- my motto is lifes to short NOT to live it up alittle--- wether it be travel or ideas or opportunities for myself or children-- go for it with a little bit of caution-- but go for it-- you may never have the chance again.
Now if you can add do overs to Andy's list -- then it would be complete -well amost.
April
Old July 18th, 2001, 08:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

I agree with all of you! We have to enjoy the time we have while we are able. We don't come with written guarantees and never know what tomorrow will bring. Both my parents had very sad endings. My mother spent from age 65 to 70 in a nursing home with dementia and emphesema. She would have sold her soul for a cigerette. My father died at age 64. He had MD. We look forward to our cruises and will go as often as we can get the dollars together. If suddenly we can't do it anymore at least we will have some great memories and no regret for what we should have done.
One of the reasons these forums mean so much to me is that you all are thinking the same way as me. I have a feeling we will all sail off into the sunset with big smiles on our faces.
Old July 18th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Seems like quite a few of us had a parent's death influence our travel desires. My father passed on his love of the ocean to his children before he died early as well at age 61. At age 45, a pillar of strength in all ways, he had his first bypass. Before his death, he endured another bypass, countless angiograms, prostate cancer, and two back operations. Once, during a procedure, we were actually told that he had lost him. 30 minutes later he was back. A year after my father's death, my mother underwent MAJOR surgery for cancer that left her with a colostomy which she has allowed to handicap her, a demolished lymphactic system, and generally bitter attitude.

Live life as fully as you can. Work hard and PLAY hard too.
Old July 18th, 2001, 02:57 PM
HySeas

Again, the uniqueness of our own lives fades as we see how other people have lived theirs. My Dad died at 64 after 3 strokes and along with his death , died the hope of his retirement ,that included travel. My Mother who is 82 has not left the house since his death in 1984. She fears flying and won't either 'cause she smokes like a chimney and the airlines don't allow anymore and has trouble finding a restaurant that still allows smoking, too. I wanted to live my retirement early, so I did extensive travelling just after my Dad died, I was 34 at the time, but the money soon ran out. Now I still travel but not as lavishly as before. I'm 52 and still have my health so I'll not wait for retirement to do my travelling, because retirement might not happen when it should. God Bless you all.
Old July 23rd, 2001, 11:00 AM
Pooh Bear

Life is:

2 Periods of Play
Separated by
40 Years of Work.

We got the 1st period of play behind us.
We got the 40 years of Work behind us.
We are working on the 2nd period of play ahead of us.

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=