Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2001, 01:13 AM
Palm Trees

Default Personal Choice Confusing?

Thinking about the Golden Princess in December. We are partial to traditional cruising, first and second seatings. We would like to try out the Princess Personal Choice program, but is it confusing? Or is it a pain to make reservations? Are there lines in the popular restaurants? And then there's that @#$! tipping thing again. What is your opinion?

Olga
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2001, 04:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Personal Choice Confusing?

After talking to a marketing guru from Princess, I would suggest you confirm a seating and then you can opt for personal any time you please.
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Olga,
Definately agree with Heather, sign up for the traditional and if you want to try out the Personal Choice, you can from there, good luck and hope you enjoy the cruise. Let us know how you like/dislike the PC dinning?

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:31 AM
Admiral

You are very right -- it's too confusing. Mary Ann Hemphill wrote a story on Personal Choices which you'll find in the "contents" area of CruiseMates.

Here's how I understand it. You sign up for one of two restaurants when you book: one, traditional, assigned seating. If you opt instead for the open dining program (the ship's second dining room) you dine when and with whom you like. You just show up at the time you wish to dine.

There are also two alternative restaurants (both with a hefty price tag) where you make reservations -- or, you WILL wait in a long line. Then there's always the Lido restaurant, open at night, where you just show up.

Personally I love the Personal Choices program, since it shold please people who want the traditional dining program PLUS those who don't what to be told what to do. But it's complicated.

Anne Campbell
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Palm Trees, I will be able to answer your question in about 47 days, we are sailing on the Grand and will try personal choice for the first time. I will be happy to get back to you to let you know how we liked it.

Happy Cruising,
Kathy R
Old August 21st, 2001, 01:14 PM
dsawyer

We are booked on The Golden Princess for Thanksgiving and we are confirmed for for traditional late dining. Are you saying that one or two of the nights we can do personal choice and then return to our traditional dining room? Or, if you do personal choice one night, then do you lose your confirmed late dining status? Also, are the traditional diners stuck in the back, out-of-the-way dining room on The Grand and The Golden? Actually I really wanted to do personal choice but I am traveling with my mother and she thinks she won't like it. What are the facts?
Old August 21st, 2001, 05:45 PM
Lady Jag

Personal Choice couldn't have been easier!!! It was just like an land-based restaurant. Put your name in, wait a few minutes, be seated. We absolutely loved it! I wouldn't change the program at all and believe me, we were cynical about it until we tried it. Now, I'd never go back.

Who wants to be worried about set dining times on vacation? We just like to "cruise". In other words, take it easy and not worry about time. We get enough of that at home!
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dsawyer,
From what I understand the program to be, if you are signed up for traditional dinning you can give the PC a try and then the next night go back to your regular table in the dinning room. You can also try one of the alternate room if you wish, but if you from the start sign up for the Personal Choice, you can't go and get traditional after that. Hope that helps? I know its a bit confusing like Anne said, have a great cruise.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old August 21st, 2001, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Here is another great article:

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/nf10517.html
Old August 22nd, 2001, 05:42 PM
dsawyer

Thanks, for all the information. One question that didn't get answered is if they put traditional diners in the Boticelli (back of ship) dining room. Its so hard to get to on Does anyone have any information on this?