Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2001, 05:36 PM
keiki

Default Other message boards

I have been lurking on this board for a few weeks now. I know of a couple of other message boards, but I am always looking for new boards to visit. Can you recommend any other interesting message boards I can visit. I am, at this point especially interested in information on Carnival. I last sailed RCI and was a little disappointed so I thought I would try Carnival again. Any info would be greatly appreciated. By the way, Kuki, I guess I am de-lurking today. I better go buy a power ball ticket today in case de-lurking on August 21st really is good luck. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:42 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Other message boards

Try cruisecritic.com, cruise2.com, cruise-addicts.com.
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:43 PM
sailinglisa

also - this is a really new bb: imaginescape.com
Old August 21st, 2001, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A very useful resource can be the newsgroup.. rec.travel.cruises. It's unmonitored, and there are silly flame wars breaking out occassionally, but many well travelled cruisers as well.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 21st, 2001, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to JeffStern

If you go into Yahoo.com, and click "Clubs," you'll see various choices. Click "Travel" and, then, "Cruises." There are a bunch to choose from, including, at least, one for each cruise line....
Old August 22nd, 2001, 08:27 AM
StanleyP

I would stay away from Cruise-Addicts if i were you... it is one giant clique and if you aren't in the clique then they put you down... i read this am about a woman who was recommending a tour company as one that did good things for her... and she was immediately questioned about her motives... possible that she got some financial benefit from people booking with her..

on the other hand, there is a TA who comments there all the time.. and even lists new itineraries.. but she is adored there.. why??? because she advertises on the site.

and finally, some people post things there, i think just to see their names in the board.. they really have nothing to say, at least about cruising... but post constantly.

just mho
Old August 22nd, 2001, 10:31 AM
Captain

Not intending to start an argument StanleyP but I have seen people jumped on pretty quick on this board a few fimes also. There are very nice people on this board and cruise-addicts both. There are also a few people that can be considered argumentative on both boards also. No board is perfect. I would think if keiki wishes to look for more information they should try as many boards as they wish and decide which is the right board for them.
Old August 22nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Admiral

StanleyP wrote:
.. i read this am about a woman who was
> recommending a tour company as one that did good things for
> her... and she was immediately questioned about her
> motives... possible that she got some financial benefit from
> people booking with her..
>
Hi Stanley..

Just for the sake of being upfront ...
This same person posted in a number of message folders here on CruiseMates as well. The first one I saw kind of raised my eyebrow..but I left it alone. After seeing the post in a number of spots, and hearing it was posted on other boards, I re read it, checked to see where it came from, and determined it was MORE than likely an "infommercial"... a shill for the company, and I deleted the posts.

We really appreciate when people post to exchange real information, opinions, and testimonials of different services they discover. But, it sure ticks me off if its straight ahead promotion, with no real interest in helping, other than getting people to their service.

It's sometimes a difficult call to make, but without excercsising some judgemental control the message boards would be full of "promotions".

We have classified ads where the readers are welcome to go and check for all sorts of different services. But, people have the choice of clicking and entering there.. rather than having to sift through them on the message boards.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 22nd, 2001, 01:40 PM
Admiral

StanleyP wrote:
>
> I would stay away from Cruise-Addicts if i were you... it is
> one giant clique and if you aren't in the clique then they
> put you down... i read this am about a woman who was
> recommending a tour company as one that did good things for
> her... and she was immediately questioned about her
> motives... possible that she got some financial benefit from
> people booking with her..
>
> on the other hand, there is a TA who comments there all the
> time.. and even lists new itineraries.. but she is adored
> there.. why??? because she advertises on the site.
>
> and finally, some people post things there, i think just to
> see their names in the board.. they really have nothing to
> say, at least about cruising... but post constantly.
>
> just mho

I think most message boards have some non cruise related banter, and folks who have become internet friends, who seem to post alot, and might seem like a clique. Honestly, I think that's OK. It gives the board a "human" element.

The strength of CruiseMates message boards, in my mind, is the different folders Paul Motter and Anne Campbell (the bosses) designed in the boards.
We have this Chat Chat folder, which is a place to meet for coffee, and talk about whatever happens to come up. A good place to socialize.

Yet the other folders exist for people who want to get their questions answered regarding specific topics, or discuss aspects of mostly cruise related issues.

Having one single message board, where all topics and messages are posted, may make it seem like the "Chit Chat" posts are dominating, and imho, make it more difficult and time consuming to find specific information one might be looking for.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 22nd, 2001, 06:21 PM
keiki

Thanks for all of the info on other message boards. I didn't know about newsgroup or imaginescape. Also, I received an e-mail from someone on another board about another site. www.forumco.com/jtrollerb
I haven't been there yet, but plan to check it out later tonight. She said it was new. Has anyone else visited this site?
At first I didn't think I could find the newsgroup, but I finally figured it out. ( and I didn't even have to ask my daughter how ;-) ...)
I agree with Kuki about allowing some chit chat between posters and think a separate area such as this one works very well.
Anyway, thanks for the info on the web sites and let me know if anyone thinks of any others.