Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Cruise Booze

I'm in the bar business, so I obviously benefit when people drink, but I am actually getting amazed with how big a worry it is for people to make sure they have, or can get their booze onboard.

When I was younger and first drank, I never really found any liquor, wine or beer that I enjoyed the taste of. SO.. when I drank, it was with the purpose of getting drunk. I did this on occassion, but thankfully it didn't become part of my routine <G>
I do like the taste of certain "umbrealla drinks", and do purchase these onboard, but honestly I likely wouldn't care if they had booze in them, or I was drinking the virgin versions.

Now I see so many threads where people are asking "booze questions, I kind of get shocked how important an issue it is in planning their vacations.

I guess my question for everyone is.. would you really change your cruising plans if your choice was between a line that allowed you to bring booze with you as opposed to one that did not?

Regards,
Kuki
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise Booze

Good question, Kuki ...

I think the booze question is replacing "Does my husband need a tux ?" as the #1 question out there.

As you know, I've been working a boozin' and cruisin' story for a year and still don't have any good answers.

I don't see anything wrong with people who enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail in their cabins self-supplying. You know, probably better than most, that they are the ones who will contribute most to the alcohol profit center whether or not they're taking their own.

I don't have a problem with people taking their own wine aboard for dinners. We have done that. A $20 bottle from the Quaint State works out to about $80 aboard ship. I have better uses for that $60.

Read that: shopping !!!

I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Maybe I'll get this story done after all !!!

pamda
Old December 15th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Daryle

You asked, "would anyone change their plans....?". My comment is... all things being equal, which, of course they are not in the cruise industry, I think if a cruise offered free booze while gambling, as in Las Vegas, I would give that cruise special consideration. The cruise companies could also try something like an "all inclusive", at a reasonable add on price, for unlimited booze on the whole trip (ID by card or wrist band or?). They do this for soft drinks. This would be like the all inclusive Carribean resorts that provide unlimited booze. I never could understand why the ships charged for their drinks,especially while gambling, other than they are trying to squeeze every last penny out of their "captive" passengers. .... Daryle
Old December 15th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Frank_rim

We have never taken liquor aboard ship on any of our 18 previous cruises. Will not do it when embarking on the Summit in May.

We don't like to have a drink in the cabin, for us it's better in the various lounges about the ship. We enjoy being with friends having a scotch on the rocks, glass of wine etc. If the two of us are together it's great to people watch while "indulging" in the lounge.

When we go on a cruise, the cost of drinks purchased on the ship is factored into the total price of the cruise. I save on alcholic beverages while at home.

Frank
Old December 15th, 2001, 04:51 PM
sailinglisa

I ususally bring a bottle of my own on board to enjoy in my cabin...on my last cruise it was wonderful to just sit on the balcony and have a drink watching the world go by or gazing up at the stars. I also make my contributions at the bars and lounges on board. I would not cancel a cruise based on if I could bring liquor on board.
Old December 15th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Pooh1Bear

I agree with Sailinglisa:

We very much enjoy a drink on the veranda before going to dinner - and perhaps a nightcap before retiring for the night. Thus, we will bring alcohol onboard for that purpose - unless someone stops us at boarding time.

We will order wine during dinner and perhaps a mixed drink or two while relaxing by the pool.

We rarely sit in a bar and drink anything but sodas.

Doesn't matter to us what the alcohol policy is. If cruise line is serious about no alcohol being brought onboard - we will abide by the policy and it would not change our future cruising plans as regards that line.

Smilin' now... 'cause Pooh is Mardi Gras Bound
=^-.-^=
Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Old December 15th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Cherchez les bon temps, ami !!!

la pamda
Old December 15th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Our Century cruise this past Oct. was the first time I had booze in our room. It was a bottle of ameratto that I purchased onboard the duty free shop for a post evening drink on our balcony. It was nice but it isn't something I "have to do". I prefer to have my frozen thingee around the pool, wine with dinner, and a drink at the show. For me, it is just too much to drag it with me....I'll buy it onboard. I do like to buy special liquor in port, but that is to bring home and have a little of the island well after my vacation is over.

DeniseZ
Old December 15th, 2001, 07:08 PM
dezertcruzer (jennifer)

Jose and I also enjoy a drink in the cabin while we get all "purdyed up" for the evening, as well a nightcap as we're turning in. The rest of the time, we contribute to the bottom line of the cruiseline by purchasing drinks by the pool, in the lounges and at dinner. If having that booze in the cabin were ABSOLUTELY forbidden, we woudln't make any changes in our plans. We'd just order from room service.
jennifer
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Linda T.

I don't drink so I guess I don't understand the desire to take alcohol onboard. i was like Kuki and drank when I was a teen to get drunk but after growing up I decided the hangover wasn't worth the "fun". Joe will have a frozen thingee at night during the show sometimes. It wouldn't matter to us either way about bringing it onboard. I do think you should have the choice tho to an extent. It would be tacky to walk around the ship with your homemade drinks in your hand. but if you want a nightcap in your cabin it should be your choice.
Old December 17th, 2001, 12:05 AM
Chyna_C

Fess up time here, on the cruise I just returned from, I took a bottle of rum onboard, but I never openned it....I either bought my drinks or got them free at all the cocktail parties. I doubt I would carry anything on board again as it just made my suitcase heavier!! lol I was celebrating my birthday on board but I am not a big drinker nor do I prefer wine or champagne so I was bringing for my celebration, which I never openned.

And to fess up again, as I was nervous about customs, I declared the bottle I had (and didn't have to pay thank goodness) just in case I was "randomlly searched" as I had purchased a liter of Tortuga Rum in Grand Cayman.

If the policy was strict it wouldn't affect my plans one bit. As I don't plan on taking another bottle onboard anyways. lol For me, it was just a BIG waste of luggage weight/space.

Chyna
Old December 20th, 2001, 09:46 PM
First Mate

Oh, PLEEAASSEE do NOT start having wristbands for unlimited alcohol!! I know most drinkers handle their liquor o.k., but there are really too many who do not. And I know that some of the "sailboat" type cruises do give people necklaces w/beads to exchange for liquor, etc. Why do you think a lot of the all-inclusive resorts give out tiny little cups of liquor so that you have to go back & get a refill continually for it to add up? I don't care what price would be charged! There are already plenty of people who get off the ships not even remembering WHAT they did on a cruise! Not to mention those who are so hung over after the first day/night that they look dead. I've been on a couple of ships where the beer DRINKING in the hot tubs changed into beer EXPELLING IN the hot tubs. I enjoy the "umbrella" drinks, too, and could never make them as good as the ship's bars. So I'll just have those & live w/the price. Keeps me from overdoing it! I also enjoy certain wines & do think it might be nice to save a few bucks to bring some on board, whether or not I can has NO impact. I, too, am surprised at how many people ask about this. It is obviously a major part of the cruise experience for some.
Old December 24th, 2001, 10:33 AM
KathyN

If I had a balcony I would enjoy the convenience of in-room liquor and mixers for sipping on the balcony while enjoying the view etc.I have never used room service for drinks on a cruise, do you call the regular room service or do you call a particular bar on board?