Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Default Put your film and camera in your carry-on!

Just returned from San Francisco.

I must look like a terrorist because every leg of every flight I have been "randomly selected" to be searched in some way.

This morning I tried to take as little in my carry-on as possible to save time when I am randomly selected to have my carry-ons inspected. When I checked into San Francisco airport - the ticket agent asked if I had my camera and film in my big suitcase that I planned on checking - I indicated yes.

She informed me that I should take it out because it would be damaged in the x-ray machines. I thought this was strange because I have always put this in my luggage. What I didn't know was that I was randomly selected to have my checked luggage go through this big x-ray machine. Apparently - they are increasing the amount of luggage that will go through this x-ray machine next week. She did say that my film is safe going through the carry-on luggage x-ray machines.

So to make a long story short - I had to open my big suitcase and search through everything at the ticket counter to find all my film canisters that I threw into my suitcase.

Next time - I am just bringing my digital camera.

Moral of the story - put your camera and film in your carry-on to prevent this type of moment.

Thought I would warn you all!
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Captain

Default Re: Put your film and camera in your carry-on!

Thanks for the warning. I always put the film in my checked bag but my filmless, empty camera in my carry on for safety reasons. Really would rather it isn't stolen or lost in baggage that may never be seen again.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Admiral

I alway put both film and camera in my carry-on. I know too many people that have lost cameras and other electronics in the past. No way am I going to make it easy for those inclined to feel they have a right to MY stuff. Mgram
Old January 13th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

But wouldn't a lead bag protect it from ALL x-rays? We always put our extra film in it and would hate to have to carry that heavy bag around in our carry -on.
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Bobbie - it would protect it but would show up as "suspicious" in the big x-rays if your bag is picked to be x-rayed because they can no see into it. Thus, you would be pulled aside and would be further inconvienced.

There was a story in USA Today on Thursday or Friday would stated a larger percentage of bags would be x-rayed starting this week or next.

This is a pain. I am sure it will get worse before it gets better.
Old January 14th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Longboysfan

Thanks....
I'll take note of this and be sure to have it in my Carry on.