Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Default FOR MGRAM - RE:FILM & x-RAY

Mgram,
Back at the beginning of December you sent OreckMan off to see his newest grandbaby, and you were really upset because security made him pass the film through the X-Ray machine. I never heard any more about it, so is it safe to assume that the pictures came out OK? We did the same on our recent cruise (plastic bag, no canisters, etc), and here in Phoenix, no problem. They passed it through by hand. But no go in Miami. They insisted that everything go through X-Ray. Luckily, the pictures all came out OK.
jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: FOR MGRAM - RE:FILM & x-RAY

I have never had problems with film going through x-ray security for carryons. They assured me that if the film was below a certain speed (my 400 speed fell in this category) - there were no problems.

I saw many people in Miami and SFO ask for their film to be hand inspected and ALL were turned down.
Old January 13th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Admiral

The nice man I interviewed at Kodak when I was doing a camera/film story said anything under 800 ASA was safe in the X-ray machines.
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Jennifer....the film/pics were fine this time...but I have had rainbows and fading in the past with 400 film.....it depends on the machine and the location. A couple of years ago, I started using a lead bag and have had no further problems....but with the new security, I wanted to be considerate and not tie up the security line, so I didn't have him use it.
I hate the inconsistancies among the different airports....and I WAS told it could be hand checked, when I called.

I read somewhere that EVENTUALLY even the carry-ons will be scanned with the higher powered xray machines....thus destroying any and all film....but I don't know when or if that is to happen. Which makes sense...they have got to use higher powered equipment for BOTH types of luggage if they are going to be successful in protecting us. They also need to be consistant so the traveler knows the score and we can prepare accordingly.

A side note here......foreign machines are set higher already...have been for some time and Kodak has always recommended lead bags for foreign travel.....both on the web(which I haven't checked lately...and a Customer Serive rep that I question separately about 2 years ago.....thus the reason for the purchase of the lead bags. At that time, I was told that the machines fluctuate if out of adjustment, so anything can happen and the amount of actual radiation can be anywhere on the scale. But I think this issue is like the doctors......go to 2 doctors for the a problem and you will get 3 opinions!!!

Good luck to us all ..... just may give up traveling and photography!!! Mgram
Old January 13th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Here's a thought ...

Buy your film on board and have the photo shop develop it. For that last roll, buy a Kodak mailer and mail it from port.

That might work ???
Old January 13th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Admiral

We usually use a 1 use camera...however, next cruise we will use a regular camera.......I don't know BUT is it possible for the ones carrying 3 or 4 rolls of film to just put the rolls in a pocket (coat, pants etc..) while going thru check in?
Old January 13th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Hmm ... if the film were in a pocket and set off the walk-through, that may be a way to have it hand-inspected.

What do you think, Mgram?

pamda
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Lady Jag,

What was weird was that they held on to my boarding pass until my suitcase was "successfully xrayed" and then they gave it to me. If a lead bag would have been in there - it would not have been "successful" in the xray and I would have been stopped. Don't know what would have happened next.

I have no clue to the answer to your question - I don't know if they would have hand inspected it and move on but the lady at the counter specifically told me to take out all the film in my luggage.

I seriously think each airport is handling this differently. I used to travel with a lead bag but haven't used it since I flew to Europe. I honestly don't know where it is right now.

My suitecases did get this huge orange sticker indicating that AA X-rayed my luggage.

In the future - I would not put a lead bag in checked luggage. Especially if you are locking your luggage - you are only asking for trouble. I would however put the lead bag in my carry on.
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:09 PM
First Mate

There are a lot of good ideas here. I've always handchecked film and nver had a problem until after 9/11. In Nov, neither Sacramento nor Las Vegas would handcheck. However, I did inadvertantly leave an 800 speed exposed roll which the machine found and they did handcheck it.For the first time I had most of our film developed in Las Vegas to avoid the problem. Consensus is that while one trip thru a machine may be ok, repeated exposure thru several airports and the cruise ship, could be a problem with film, especially 400 and above. I'm aleady concerned about what I will do in Alaska in May for the land portion and on the cruise ship. (I'm don't look forward to paying twice as much) on the ship.

Does anyone know whether mini digital video tape has the same problems either unused or already shot? I would not be a happy camper if my cruise of a lifetime shots were impacted. Thanks for the discussion.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Admiral

As I said before...film and cameras ALWAYS go in my CARRY-0N....I suspect that the lead bag would make them open my bag....but I also suspect they would have me open it and THEN pass it through the xray again....I don't think this would succeed in making them handcheck. As for carry it in a pocket of a coat.....everywhere Don has been since 9/11, they have made him remove all jackets and coats and pass them through xray....so anything in the pocket is still going through xray. If in pants pockets, it would go through the metal detector which is WORSE on film than the xray!!!!! So .... anyway you look at it....we are SCR*WED!!!

Mgram....still looking for ways around this mess that won't cost a gazillion $$$.
Old January 14th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Admiral

I dont understand why they would'nt do a visual check of film. Why can't you put film along with your watch, change and stuff in the tray that goes around the walk thru gate? Are screenings getting so out of hand that one can not do that? Not being a smart azz here..but it just seems so ridiculous for a security check to ruin an item important in value and memories. If anyone gets reliable info on this matter, please let us know. Thanks
Rick
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Admiral

My laptop, watch, cell phone, jacket and change all went through the x-ray at the security check where they check carry ons. It is not that they hand inspected any of these - these are items that would cause you to sound an alarm when you walk through the security area.

What is strange is that each airport does things differently.
Old January 14th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Rick...according to OreckMan....the watch, wallet, change etc. is put in the basket and the basket is then put on the conveyor and put through the xray........depending on which airport......very inconsistant!!!!!!!! Mgram
Old January 14th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Admiral

hummmmm never had that happen but you are right itd very inconsistant
Thanks
Rick
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Admiral

MGram is right - everything put in the basket (watch, belt, change, etc. .) is then put through the X-Ray. Laptops, cell phones also go through.

Have been through some major airports in the last month (SFO, St. Louis, Chicago, Miami, etc. . ) and each airport is different. In LNK, we all had to take our shoes off and they all went through the conveyer belt. Bizarre!
Old January 15th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Admiral

For those of you who may have missed my album of the pics from my July whale watch....here is the link. Hope you enjoy it! Mgram

<http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=99683321303&n=248556143>