Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Default Citizenship

After living and working (school teacher) here in the US for over 22 years, my Deb (British) has decided to become a Citizen. There are practice questions in the packet INS sent us and MY GAWD.....I could'nt answer some of the questions! lol. Seriously, I doubt 1 out of 10 US citizens would know. But easy answers to re-learn from school days <G>. Ex...easy one"What are the colors of the flag"? BUT try this one.."How many changes, or amendments, are there to the Constitution"? "How many voting members are in the House of Representatives"? "What were the 13 original colonies"? (I could'nt name all 13..can you <G>. "Name the amendments that quarantee or address voting rights"? (3 of them). Gezzz I would have to study to become a citizen! lol.
Semper Fi
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Citizenship

Rick,
I hate to admit it, but I too would need to study as well :-)

DOnna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 14th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

That is a hard one. Most of us learned this in HS during US history but after so many years....well, you get the message, but I do know the states:

Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Virginia

DeniseZ
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Actually, there are five (of 26) amendments that address or concern voting rights. OK, I looked it up. I'm certainly not a "Know It All" !!!

There are 435 voting members of the House of Representatives (I knew that). There are 100 Senators, two per state. There are members of the House who cannot vote.

I can do all 13 original states, living in the "First State" as I do.

Those questions have absolutely nothing to do with becoming a good and productive US citizen.

"On what day must you file your federal income tax return?" might be more to the point.

pamda
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Details, details, details! Am I now going to be stripped of my citizenship? Somehow, I think I am NOT alone in my ignorance! It just goes to show you how much we take this for granted.......naturalized citizens really WORK for that status....good for them.....know you will be proud of your wife, Rick.

Mgram
Old January 14th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I am just glad its her taking the test and not me! lol
Rick
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Not only do they work hard to become citizens through Naturalization but many of them work hard in the jobs and business they start here in the states. Many of them are the main force of our service industry. We all must remember that at some time our ancestors were once aliens working to become citizens. I can trace a drover, tinsmith and grocer in my family history, most from Germany.

DeniseZ
Old January 14th, 2002, 08:38 PM
susancruzs

Good for Deb and makes us all stop and think a little bit about what we have! I did not know all those questions without the help of the Almanac! My grandfather came from Sweden and he did landscaping for the big homes in Winnetka so my father got to go to New Trier. I always tell people why my dad lived in Winnetka. My other grandfather (French Canadian) was a blacksmith for a saw mill town (now trying to be revived in the UP) and my sister just moved up there. Almost everyone on this board has stories I bet of family starting over in this country, this alone is pretty important thing to remember. Sue P.S. Sorry for getting long!
Old January 15th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Sue Sue

My son's girlfriend (of 3 !/2 years) just found out that her test is scheduled for the day after we return from our March cruise. She is Filapino and so looking forward to adding Amerian to her title. She is the last of her family to become naturalized and we are so proud of her. It will definetly be a celebration when she takes her oath. My familiy's ancestors, from both my side and my husbands side, came from Germany in 1742. Very many of the descendents still live in the area originally settled in Pennsylvania. We have Revolutionary and Civil War veterans, farmers and tradesmen in our stock. Our families lived American History and sadly can not answer the questions as quickly as she can. So, not only will we be enjoying our vacation cruise for the scenery and Carnival fun, but we all are going to re-learn American History as we take turns reviewing the facts with our girl.
Old January 15th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Admiral

SueSue ...

All good wishes to "your girl".

pamda --CM First-Time Cruisers Editor