Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Unscheduled Dry Docks for Summit and Infinity

Just read a news release from Celebrity - The Summit is going into an unscheduled drydock 3/29 in Freeport; and the Infinity will be drydocked there on 4/13 to repair ball bearing units in the propulsion pods that are wearing out prematurely. Both ships are going to cancel one cruise and shorten another. Copmpensation was announced for people whose itineraries have been cancelled or changed. I feel so sorry for those affected.

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Unscheduled Dry Docks for Summit and Infinity

I would be so sad...... the compensation had better be good!!
Old March 20th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Paul Mottetr

Default Re: Re: Unscheduled Dry Docks for Summit and Infinity

That is the problem with those azipod systems. If you need to work on the engine they have to go to dry-dock. With the old internal engines you could work on them while in port.
Old March 20th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Admiral

Would it be totally tacky to say that I'm glad it won't interfere with the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise?

But, I am truly sorry for people whose travel plans are going to be messed up. Maybe they could pick up on the Lei'd cruise ???

Old March 20th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Here is the whole report:

Press Release
SOURCE: Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity Cruises Cancels Summit, Infinity Sailings

MIAMI, March 20 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Celebrity Cruises will send two ships, Summit and Infinity, into unscheduled drydocks March 29 and April 13, respectively, to repair propulsion pods. Both ships are operating safely today but at a lower cruising speed.

Summit will cancel a March 29 sailing from Fort Lauderdale, and an 11-night cruise April 8 will be shortened to a seven-night sailing April 12. Guests on the shorter voyage will receive a 50-percent refund.

Infinity will miss her April 13 and 20 sailings from San Juan. In addition, Infinity will modify two itineraries. The April 6 sailing, originally a roundtrip from San Juan, now will originate in San Juan and terminate in Fort Lauderdale. The April 27 Transcanal sailing, originally from San Juan to San Diego, now will operate from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego.

The problem with the pods involves ball-bearing units that are wearing out prematurely. Consequently, ships must reduce their cruising speed, potentially falling behind schedule on port calls. By making repairs as soon as possible, Celebrity will avoid further changes in itineraries.

Both ships will be drydocked at the Grand Bahama Shipyard in Freeport, Bahamas.

``Disrupting a guest's vacation experience is not the business we are in, and this announcement is painful for all of us,'' said Celebrity President and Chief Operating Officer Jack Williams.`` The ships are operating safely, but unless these repairs are made, we cannot guarantee the integrity of our advertised itineraries.''

Guests booked on the cancelled sailings will receive a full refund and a voucher for a 50-percent discount on any seven- to 15-night Caribbean, Transcanal or Hawaii cruise, originating before May 31, 2003, excluding Christmas and New Year's 2002 sailings.

Travel agents will have their original full commission protected, plus a $50 rebooking fee per booking when their clients reschedule their cruise.

Celebrity has established a special Help Desk to assist guests and travel agents with rebooking, air transportation and other issues. That toll free number is 1-888-305-4626.

The cancelled cruises are expected to have a negative impact on the earnings of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. of $.06 per share.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL - news) is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, and Royal Celebrity Tours. Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises have a combined total of 22 ships in service and six under construction or on firm order. Royal Celebrity Tours operates land-tour vacations in Alaska and Canada utilizing the world's largest glass-domed railcars. Additional information can be found on www.royalcaribbean.com, www.celebritycruises.com or www.rclinvestor.com.

SOURCE: Celebrity Cruises
Old March 20th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

This is a real let down. My wife and I have been booked on the 10 Caribbean cruise for March 29 for a year. Now 8 days ahead it is canceled. Even our TA was not notified. The TA just could not belive she was not notified.
We hope to recieve compensation for Capt Club coupons and Certificates used for this cruise. And 50% off the next cruise is not what I call good public relations. We had made our own reservations for airfare and hopefully recover that cost.

The co-ordination between our jobs for vacation is difficult. Needless to say this is very upsetting.

And YES we have travel insurance. Would not travel without it.

Old March 20th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Y2C.. sorry to hear you were some of the affected. Of course I feel for everyone.... know how I am look forward to a cruise, so I empathize!

Hard for Celeb not to react if they know there's a problem with the Azipods though. They're really stuck too.

Old March 20th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Sorry Y2C.....that is such short notice and I know how disappointed you must be.

Old March 20th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Sorry Y2C I know you were looking forward to this cruise.

Old March 20th, 2002, 07:09 PM
David Starkey

This ongoing problem with the pods makes me uneasy about booking the"newer" Celebrity ships. I myself was a victim in 2001 of a cancelld Infinity cruise. I was thinking of booking a summer European cruise on Celebrity but will not if it is one of the "newer ships" is doing the Itin. I'll stay with the Mercury and Galaxy and hope to avoid these mechanical problems.
I had been thinking about a Hawaii cruise in may 2003 on Infinity but I will sail instead on an other ship or cruise line.
Sorry to all of you cruisers that have had your cruise cancelled........I know the feeling..
Old March 20th, 2002, 07:10 PM
gaile

What a terrible thing Steve, I am sure it is very disappointing. What's chances of you booking the Hawaii cruise now? Would be great to have you aboard.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old March 20th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Y2C,
How awful, I know you were really looking forward to this cruise

Hey, just a thought, why not think about Alaksa this summer???

http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...alaska2002.cfm

Message Boards Moderator