Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2002, 02:36 AM
mlbcruiser

Default Spring Break Cancun vs. Cruising

I am very sad. Was all set to book the Voyager for next spring break but my then-a-senior teen wants to go to Cancun on the big trip organized by Springbreak USA that a bunch of her friends are going on. Nothing against Cancun. I like Cancun, & don't think it's any wilder than the US spring break hotspots (at least the kids are NOT DRIVING when they're drunk there!). And I have seen Cancun during Summer Break, & the "action" was only in certain areas. (Still, I think high school is a little young for this type of spring break, even though my teen isn't into boozing it up & swears that wouldn't change there, either. I have a few doubts, though!) Have any of you had a kid who wanted to pass up a cruise for Cancun? My child's friend's famliy has always cruised w/us & our kids have always had a great time. But my teen wants to be where the largest number of her pals will be next year since it'll be their final year, & right now that appears to be Cancun. She even knows that we would go along & stay in the same hotel, so it's not just the fact that on a cruise we are present. I am amazed that so many parents said yes to a Cancun trip so quickly! I don't need anyone to tell me all the cons of spring breaks. I lived in FL during the heydey of spring breaks (parents wouldn't let me go except during the daytime!), & I've seen MTV , 48 HRS. & 20/20 plenty of times. We were just in Daytona for a few nights before our last cruise last month. But I'd appreciate some comments from anyone who has been to Cancun during March the past few yrs. or anyone who has had this dilemma w/their kid. (I've already said I WILL NOT pay for Cancun, though I would a cruise, which didn't change a thing.) I think there would be a lot of happy parents willing to spring for a cruise but if I jumped in now & tried to form a group, my own child would no doubt kill me, as some parent might get swayed & then I'd have a group of almost-got-to-go-to-Cancuners on my case. I have received implicit instructions I am not to do this, even if I don't allow my own kid to go to Cancun. So, thanks Cruisemates for letting me "vent" about this. It's a year away but deposits are already being put down, so it's on my mind a lot at present.
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Spring Break Cancun vs. Cruising

I am with you!

I don't think Cancun is the right place to be during spring break for a high school student (even with parents). I went to FL to visit some relatives when I was 16 - they thought it would be fun to take me to see Daytona Beach for the weekend which happened to be Spring Break. It turned out to be awful. There were broken bottles everywhere on the beach and in the pool, drunk people everywhere, litter everywhere, rude people, loud parties all night, etc. . .

If the student still wants to go to Cancun - they can do it while they are in college. Hopefully they will change their mind by then. Cancun is probably not any worse then any spring break place in FL but those are pretty bad.

I would go on a cruise. They may be mad at first but how can you not enjoy yourself on Voyager? I can't believe parents are sending their teenagers/high school students down there! Too bad you can't organizge a cruise - that would have been fun!

I would also be worried that it sounds like many of these teens are going possibly without their parents. There are so many problems with this. If they are not 18, not an adult or with a responsible adult and they need medical attention . . ..

Hang in there!

Theresa
Old April 27th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Not in my wildest dreams, or at my most delirious moment, would I have allowed my high school daughter to go to Cancun for spring break! She did go to Mexico, Puerto Vallarta, several times by herself (to visit friends) and 3 times to summer school in Guanajuato while in high school, but NOT to a notorious spring break spot. TOO DANGEROUS! NO, no, no. I wouldn't even consider it. JMHO.
jennifer
Old April 27th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

I'm going to comment on this thread, but want to say up front this is only MY opinion, and every parent has the right to have their own. I am a parent of two children, one 23 and one 25, but never had to make a decision about something like this. I was in Cancun VERY briefly in March of 2000 via a port stop, during the filming of a MTV Spring Beak event. I went to Isla Mujeres for most of the day, but had to tender to Cancun, to tender back to the ship. I knew the event was taking place as I had spoken to a mother on the ship, who was on the cruise so that her daugther could go to this MTV thing, at least during the day. My friend and I walked around the tender area for a short while, watching masses of young people stream towards a building/outdoor area where the night event was to take place. All dressed, or not dressed, for the big night. The place was full of energy and I can certainly see why teenagers would want to be a part of this.

We walked and shopped around the pier/tender area waiting to go back to the ship. At least one in every 5 teens/.young people obviously had overindulged. Many were disoriented, vomiting, and even passed out. What was really scary were the boats/yachts lined up double deep, hawking free drinks, just come aboard. I saw one young, drunk, topless girl, get into a boat, with about 4 guys and leave. It was obvious that they were complete strangers to her. I almost tried to stop her, as I would of wanted someone to offer help to my daughter. This was the scene at the pier, and this was not an isolated incident.

This observation is NOT to say that your daughter would be one of those drinking, therefore having impaired judgement. I could see the party growing larger at the outdooor area they had roped off. The crowds alone, and this was still early evening, were overwhelming. Body pressed to body, look out if you slip and fall down. It was Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras.

Okay, that was my observation. Spring Break next year is still aways off. A lot can happen over a year. Deposit or no deposit. Good luck with the situation. I am glad to hear that you will be accompanying your senior to Cancun.
Old April 27th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Brad Krewson-Cleveland,OH

My only word for him is NO! Not in high school. I have 3 kids 17, 19, 22 They will tell you want you want to hear.

They have years ahead of them to go. Not in high school.
Old April 27th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Admiral

As the mom of four now-adult, I offer one word re: Cancun. NO !!!

Just for yucks, you might want to go to the video store and rent "Where The Boys Are" ... then ramp it up to Y2K+2.

Now, get a grip. What kid would NOT want to have a week free of the 'rents? Perfectly predictable. But a B-A-D idea.

Also, think about your own sanity. Do you want to spend a week jumping out of your skin every time the phone rings for fear it's some person with a Spanish accent ... say, a policeman or a doctor?

OK. That was more than one word.

Old April 27th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Brad Krewson-Cleveland,OH

Default Re: Re: Spring Break Cancun vs. Cruising

I agree with Pamda 110 %.

Brad
Old April 27th, 2002, 06:14 PM
ribaholic

my son will be 18 and a H.S. senior when spring break 2003 rolls around. i will vote (vehemently!) NO if he wants cancun.

so far, he and a friend's family have gone to panama city, fl for his soph & jr yr spring breaks and since he has enjoyed the time there, i am truly hoping (praying!) that's where he'll go next year as well.

his mother (with whom he lives) might be another story and if he asks for cancun, she might very well say yes AND try to tag me for half the bill.

i really have no recourse as the non-custodial parent other than i won't pay for his trip and to express early and often what a BAD IDEA it is for a high schooler to be... (A) out of the country... (B) without parents and (C)among a much older and "more mature" crowd of mostly college students and college age non-students.

my 12 yr old daughter and i were discussing this very subject just today, so she already knows i think it's a bad idea.

good luck with your dilemma.

tim
Old April 27th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Actually Panama City, FL is supposed to be the "best" or "worst" spring break stop (depending on what side you are on) in the US. Either Dateline or 48 Hours did a special last week on the city.

The Mayor of the city welcomes spring breakers and what goes on there is beyond what I would ever want my children to go there for. Good thing I have no children - they would be banned to the house until they were 30 .
Old April 28th, 2002, 11:08 PM
First Mate

I think of a little saying my mom used to say. "It will be a cold day in Hell" I'm only 33 and not that far away from that age group (at least I like to think). What is the potential for you daughter to get in serious trouble. If your daughter doesn't want to really party it up what does she wan't to be there for???? What is the potential for date rape with all of that alcohol. What about STD's etc. Just say no. Your house your rules.
Old April 29th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Yeoman

Hi:

Sorry....I would not let my kids go when they were teens, even though both were on the honor roll most of their high school career.

It's not worth the possibility of an accident that ruins the start of their college career.

They will respect your decision and if they do not,....they will get over it.

Bob
Old April 30th, 2002, 05:56 PM
mlbcruiser

Hey thanks for all of your replies. Think I will print them up for "ammunition". Yeah, my gut instinct is what I should go with. And yes, how could anyone not like a cruise! I do have a couple of comments, though. To the person who thinks Panama City is a better place for their kid to go than Cancun for spring break: Sorry, I spent my teen years in FL and things are even wilder now. (The hot spots may change, but the action does not.) Not only do they get just as drunk in PC, and esp. in Padre Island from the t.v. show I saw about a yr. ago, they also do the mardi gras "beads for a flash" thing there, too. They also DRIVE, bumper to bumper, down the main road - often while they have been drinking. At least in Cancun they won't have cars! Don't get me wrong. I'm just saying if your kid has you thinking that just because it's in the U.S. it's tamer, WRONG. (The Mexican govt. loves the $ coming in from Cancun so the cops & authorities there GENERALLY have MUCHO patience with the antics of the kids. ) Also, I am pretty sure there are areas in Cancun where the wildness is not so evident, based on talks with some parents who went last year. It was the same in Daytona this year, where we spent 2 nts. prior to our cruise. Yes, I DO NOT want to spend my time being surrounded by the MTV crowd, & I especially am against this whole thing for h.s. seniors = that's exactly why we parents would have been going. Why does my daughter want to go? As I said before, she wants to be where the largest number of her FRIENDS are going. These are not burned out druggies. They are good students who don't get into trouble & don't have self esteem problems or lack friends so need to show off. I can understand why she wants to be with them. I also think many times things aren't as bad as the t.v. portrays them. As I wrote, I have been in Cancun during SUMMER BREAK, & it isn't bad - OUTSIDEt he clubs, at least. BUT, I am SURE Mermaid got an eyefull at the MTV thing & that is exactly the type of activities I DON'T want my daughter around. Thanks Mermaid, because that's the type of info. I was looking for. Seeing it at home on T.V. (I have 2 older kids) is enough for me! I would no doubt embarrass my daughter to death because if I saw someone we knew doing something assinine, I would probably interfere for sure. I can imagine how horrified you must have been watching that girl getting into that boat! Well, thanks again everyone. These boards are great & there is a lot of common sense & support out there!