Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Suzie Provo

Default Airlines?

Hi all,
I read the message board, but haven't posted much. I'm planning a cruise to the Southern Caribbean this January. U.S.Airways has the lowest fares from San Francisco to San Juan. I'm just not familiar with this airline. Are they reliable? We will be arrriving the day before the cruise, but I want to make sure I get there!!
Anyone with experience with this airline? Would sure appreciate your feedback. I usually fly United, but the airfare is over $300 per person less with USAirways...
You can also reply to my e-mail address at suziepro@attbi.com

Thank you in advance!!
Suzie Provo
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Airlines?

Hi Suzie:

Read recently that U.S. Air has not received their portion of the airline bailout promised by the Feds after 9/ll. The gov't plans to pay the $$later this summer and U.S.Air doesn't think it can hold out that long. I would wait before purchasing tickets to make sure it is solvent and can weather the months until January. If you buy tickets and it goes belly up you may loose your $$. All the airlines are struggling and it sells tickets for less so there is more risk . Check the cruise company prices. That would be safer if the price is in the ballpark. They buy the tickets 6-8 weeks before the cruise and they can better foresee what is happening with airlines.

John L,
Old May 28th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Airlines?

I was on U.S. Air last week and the flight attendant told me she thought the airline was going into bankruptcy jeopardizing her career. It appeared all the personnel were distraught and depressed about something. But I got to my destination safely!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 28th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

First of all, I personally would never make a cross country flight to arrive the day of cruise. I find that it is always best to fly in a day or two prior - especially if you are booking your own air. I would not want to risk flight delays or cancellations and miss first part of cruise. Secondly, Thomas is right - USAirways is ready to declare bankruptcy - I would not book on them now even though I have flown them many many times in the past and never had a problem. Have you checked the air fares through the cruise line? We have found that sometimes it is cheaper than booking own air - especially for the longer flights distances.

Just my thoughts,
Jodi

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Yeoman

Check out American Airlines. They have had some really decent fares to San Juan (if there is such a thing) and the extra room in coach is just wonderful for a long flight.
Old May 28th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Passenger

I wouldn't fly them. They are filing for Chapter 11 and they are trying to get concessions from their union workers. No US Scare is not a good one, but it is your vacation and your risk.