Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2002, 10:58 AM
First Mate

Default Insurance?? Yes or No

I've read alot of posts about people who are big fans of cruise insurance. I was wondering is there anyone out there that doesn't buy it and why?? I've been on 3 cruises and have never bought cruise insurance.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Insurance?? Yes or No

NOT buying cruise insurance is kinda like playing Russian Roulette....IMHO.

Old June 9th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Hi, John ...

The main reason for insurance isn't against cancellation of the cruise or bankruptcy on the part of the cruise line (which is why buying 3rd party insurance is always a good idea) .... it's medical care and medevac should something horrible happen.

A medevac can cost well over $10,000.

The cost of insurance is nominal but can impact on the budget. Going "naked" is taking a chance.

Old June 9th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Too big a risk to us. We always buy insurance. I know of evacs that have cost in excess of $30K. No, thanks. We'll pay the insurance fee.....every time, whether for 3-day or 14+. It has paid for itself several times simply by paying the onboard doctors/nurses.
Old June 9th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

When I first started travelling I thought I would be just fine with my regular health insurance which also covered out of country health issues. However, as I learned later on there are many other things to worry about having covered beside personal illness.
When travelling the list of things that can go wrong, and can cost mega bucks, is SO LONG, that I've determined it simply makes no sense to be uninsured IMHO.

On my very first "media" trip, I was in Europe, courtesy of the cruise line. In that case, I thought, well I surely don't need insurance, other than my normal health coverage, on this trip. Half way through the trip, while in Rome, we received notice that my mother in law was near death, and not expected to survive the night. While the cruise line was wonderful in assisting us with our arrangements, they couldn't have been expected to pick up the tab to get us home. It cost us $5000 to return with a last minute "compassion" fare. That amount, buys allot of insurance! I learned my lesson!

That said, I now ALWAYS buy 3rd party insurance, rather than cruise line insurance, it generally covers MUCH more, for much smaller premiums. Check out Travelex, TravelGuard and Access America for starters.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 9th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

A good place to check out is www.insuremytrip.com They compare plans for you, etc.

Old June 9th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Admiral

John... I've been in the Industry for quite a few years. Over all that time, most (well over 90%) of my Insurance claims have Not been for strokes, heart attacks or catastrophes of that kind. As pointed out by Kuki and Pamda in this thread, they tend to be medical emergencies at home (family members), broken bones due to an accident on some remote island or even a traffic accident en route to the pier. Costs can add up quickly. We brought a lady back from San Juan to Miami... she tripped and fell... and the cost of transportation alone (not medical) was $12,000. I never ever embark on a vessel without Insurance. Just one incident can more than make up for all the premiums you ever pay for travel insurance, and then some.

All the other coverages included in these policies (including cancellation coverage) are just icing on the cake, but they do come in handy too. Example... Baggage Delay Coverage. You make the ship but your bags don't. You have only the clothes on your back. Your bags will be delivered to the next port of call, two days hence. Go down to the ship's store and buy some clothes, toiletries, etc. to hold you over... you may need a mortgage on your home to cover the cost. All that is covered on most policies too.
Old June 9th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Admiral

I have never had to collect on a travel insurance policy, thank goodness, but knowing that I have it each time is worth twice its cost in peace of mind. I know that only one time of ever having to use it will more than pay for all the times I bought it, and if I never have to use it, it will have been cheap mental health insurance all by itself.

jennifer
Old June 9th, 2002, 04:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re:Insurance?? Yes or No

I always purchase insurance, more for the extra medical coverage than for anything else. I have only had to use the insurance once and that was last year when the United States Lines went bankrupt. I had been booked on the Patriot around Hawaii and the cruise line went chapter 11 less than a month prior to my trip.

The small additional insurance cost is a good investment IMHO.

Doug