Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Group Cruise Pricing

I've been surfing the net today , and have come across various cruise web sites offering group cruises. Suggest you do some surfing yourself, and compare them to the prices for our upcoming groups. Think you'll be AMAZED how much you can save cruising with CruiseMates!! PLUS, ours are GREAT fun!! <G>
You can go to Alaska, or spend Thanksgiving, or my birthday, with me (or BOTH)

Here's the link to all our CruiseMates Group Cruises...
http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...CM-cruises.cfm

Post Edited (06-15-02 11:48)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Group Cruise Pricing

What is this e-mail I received from Mrs. Kuki offering you for sail/sale for only $2.95?
Old June 15th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Ginny

All the Cruisemates group cruises are without a doubt an excellent deal.

So come on everyone jump onboard at least one of the group cruises. If one date doesn't match your hectic schedule I'm sure another one will.

Happy Cruising!

Ginny
Old June 15th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Palm Trees

Judging from the reviews of the Get Lei'd cruise, I'd say ANY price is a good price for a CruiseMates cruise!
Old June 16th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Palm Trees.. You are OH SO RIGHT! I can't imagine the belly laughs I would have missed if I hadn't been on the CM Group Cruises I've done. Of course, the pricing doesn't hurt either<G>

Old June 16th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Admiral

I am no longer willing to sacrifice good service, honesty or professionalism for the lowest price. You get what you pay for.

Post Edited (06-16-02 11:45)
Old June 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Mgram.. Gee.. are you saying you didn't get great value for your $ on the Get Lei'd cruise?
I think that's the only CM Group cruise you've done, so have to assume that's what you're referring to.

Old June 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I was making a general statement, Kuki, that the lowest price does not always get you the best value in terms of service, honesty and professionalism....no matter WHAT group cruise it would be. And you are very correct .... Get Lei'd is my ONLY CM Group Cruise.

Old June 16th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Mgram... U are QUITE CORRECT. The lowest prices is not ALWAYS the best VALUE. And in my mind VALUE is the key word.
For the CruiseMates group cruises we strive to find that combination of price, service, and onboard fun that equates to giving those who join us that VALUE for their cruise $.

I had a good friend on the Summit with us, who happens to detest red & green peppers. After the cruise he mentioned that he lost weight on the cruise because Celebrity uses so much of those items in their sauces and garnish, that he didn't each much.
I asked if he had requested the wait staff to be sure the dishes he ordered contained no red or green peppers. Nope! He didn't want to make an issue of it. Even though, for him, it was obviously already an issue.

With problems that may arise, before a cruise, or on a ship, I think it's normally best to address any concerns when the problem arises, in order to allow the problem to be remedied before it adversely affects your vacation, rather than allow the animosity to fester and affect your enjoyment.

Old June 16th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Celebrity produced the product they advertised...and then some. The enjoyment we took with us in the form of friends.....both old and new....nothing could have diminished that. Again....you are making much out of a GENERAL STATEMENT that the lowest price does not always get you the best value in terms of service, honesty and professionalism.

Post Edited (06-16-02 13:30)
Old June 16th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Mgram,

I totally understand what you mean!

The lowest price for a cruise is not always the best price - given the same cruise.

I must qualify myself - I have not taken a CruiseMates cruise but I took another group cruise where I went with the best price. Big mistake. Good service, honesty and professionalism will always win for me over price! I am willing to pay more to get that.

Theresa
Old June 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Don't mean to keep this going to much, but I am confused by the comments. So far we have paid top dollar for cruises and been very happy. We are booked on the CM cruise and looking forward to it. The only differences so far that I can see are that we are paying about half the price of what we have in the past, and we will be getting a slightly lower class of a suite. Even with these differences, I don't expect to have a cruise that's any less than what we've experienced in the past. If you look into what the cruise has to offer and know what you are getting into, what are the pitfalls to be concerned about? With only 2 cruises so far, I don't have a lot of experience regarding all of this.

I know that getting a lower price doesn't guarntee a better cruise and that the opposite can be true also. Just wanting more clarification on the comments. Thanks, Phyll
Old June 16th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Admiral

No difference at all in the cruise itself or the service provide by the cruiseline, Phyll.....was referring to the above mentioned provided by the 'middleman'.

Old June 16th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Admiral

T;hanks Mgram, that helps. Phyll
Old June 16th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Admiral

<<<Author: Mgram (spider-wm071.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 06-16-02 11:44

I am no longer willing to sacrifice good service, honesty or professionalism for the lowest price. You get what you pay for.>>>>

This is why I questioned the posted quoted above to begin with. It IMPLIES alot of things, while addressing nothing specific. Especially within the thread Mgram chose to post it in. Paints a pretty wide swath with a rather unflattering brush. Particularily, with my involvment in the thread and group, I seem to be getting some of the paint on me.

If we're speaking about honesty, and if we're going to post, I'd rather hear the direct problems encountered than implied innuendo.

Old June 16th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Kuki...what part of the GENERAL STATEMENT that lowest price does not always give us good service, honesty or professionalism can you not seem to grasp? No innuendo ... just a statement that sometimes it is not worth it to grab the lowest price for the sake of that lowest price ..... sometimes those important details are sacrificed. From the behind the scenes emails I have been getting regarding this thread.....others are getting it......even some lurkers.

The relevance of my post within this thread should be obvious. Your original post implies lowest prices and big savings...which is true.....yes, great rates ..... I was just pointing out that there are other considerations besides getting the lowest price .... not weilding a paintbrush in your direction......can hardly do 'paint by numbers'.

Old June 16th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Mgram,

I do apologize since it appears I have taken your comments out of context. In part, I think the phrase "you get what you pay for" sets me off.
I've encountered too many agents who've told me they charge more so, unlike discounters, they can 'afford" to provide great service, and then don't.

I AGREE with you absolutely that lowest price doesn't ALWAYS buy you the best service. But conversely, there's no guarantee paying more buys any better service.

I think the key is to find the REALLY GOOD agents out there who offer both great prices and great service!
And that seems to me to have more to do with the character, and dedication of the agent, than the price.

Old June 16th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Accepted.

Old June 17th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Group Cruise Pricing

Okay, let me wade in and open my big yap. <> From what I have seen and personally experianced, so far the CM cruises are exceptional deals. Only on a few rare occasions have I been able to find a SLIGHTLY lower price BUT, you do not get the 'extras' that you get by booking through the 'chosen' agent for our group. Kuki does actually do a pretty good job although in keeping with our spirit of antagonizing each other it pains me deeply to say that. <> I HAVE seen some groups cruises advertised in other places that haven't been very good, and some that seem to be very good so Mgram is also correct. Price is never the overall deciding factor, value for the money is, or plainly, the most bang for the buck. In addition I was thinking the same thing that Mike was, can you imagine a TA screwing up a CM cruise! He/she would have to just close up shop and dissappear! I think this is also another reason that CM can offer such great cruises, TA's love to show off to our readers/family and are willing to cut a little deeper for the good publicity.
Jim

Old June 17th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Admiral

I will add that choosing a TA, whether it's for a group cruise, or just for booking on your own can be a very difficult procedure.
If you find a really good one... HANG ON TIGHT <G> Though understand that NO agent will ALWAYS have the best price.

Travel agencies are for the most part UNREGULATED, other than by the laws of the land. CLIA, ASTA etc are not much more than marketing tools for the industry, So, whether booking in person, over the telephone, or online it's BUYER BEWARE!

Old June 17th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Admiral

I have to tell you that "service and professionalism" is first on my list.

Price comes second. I learned after having the "TA from HE__" several cruises back that price means very little when the TA doesn't return calls or emails, etc. .

The good news is that I found an excellent TA with great prices and excellent service. I don't know what I would do if I ever lose her.

I think if I join a group cruise in the future, I will book my cruise separately through my own TA. I can't have what happened the last time I deviated from this TA - it just isn't worth it.

Just my two cents worth.
Old June 21st, 2002, 08:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Group Cruise Pricing

I'll throw in my two cents just because everyone else has. We must have at least a quarter in here by now. I think the CM criuses are great deals, too, but it's a fact they are not the cheapest group cruise you can find. I heard stories about a group cruise set up by a bunch of folks who populate the newsgroup RTC.

I heard it was unbelievably cheap, because the travel agent was working for next to nothing for each cruiser and hoping to make it up on volume. I guess she forgot that making a few bucks on 350 cruisers also entails doing an equal amount of additional work.

I heard the cruise was a disaster, probably because the agent was so exhausted by the time the cruise started she couldn't take care of any details on board. I did meet and talk to the agent about it later, she said she would never do it again.

So Mgram and Kuki are both right - travel agents are like lovers.

They are best when they are new enough that they still have the enthusiasm to do a lot for a small amount of return, but they also have enough experience to do it right.

They are average when they have a lot of experience but expect a lot in return, and they are worst when they have so much experience that they have lost all enthusiasm to do it right at any price.

Or something like that....