Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2002, 05:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.
Default Cruise comparison

We received our cruise documents Saturday for our October 06, 2002 Rhapsody cruise. We had company in for the holiday so we were to busy to do our "doc" dance. We are doing it now.
We almost feel like rookies, as this is our first RCI cruise. Maybe some of you can give us some insight on how they compare with Celebrity, Carnival, and HAL whom we have cruised with for a total of 8 previous cruises.

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2002, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie
Default Re: Cruise comparison

RCCL are great, very comparable to Princess and far better than HAL and Carnival.

You'll have a great time!!!
Old September 4th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

The Rhapsody is gorgeous -- you'll love the Solarium pool! We miss it on every other cruise line

Harry
Old September 4th, 2002, 01:25 PM
MarieA

Well, I wouldn't put them in the same class as HAL at all. I think HAL offers a much superior product. In comparison to your other cruises, IMHO I'd guess I rank them this way:
HAL
Celebrity
RCCL
Carnival
Old September 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.
Default Re: Re: Cruise comparison

Marie & MarieA,

Our ranking so far is:
HAL
Celebrity
Carnival
We certainly hope RCI is up there with HAL. We are optimistic, as even our worst cruise was a very good cruise. We never let minor problems ruin our cruise vacations.

For Harry: The HAL ships we have sailed, Veendam, Maasdam, and Statendam all have solarium pools, which are great in in-climate weather. I don't remember if the Westerdam had one or not, of course she is no longer a HAL ship. Also the Celebrity Mercury had a solarium pool.

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old September 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Happy Camper

Keith and Rita you'll love it! THe RCL ships are really pretty. I haven't been on HAL or celebrity so I'd love to hear your opinion when you get back. I've been on NCL, CCL, and RCL and so far RCL has the prettiest ships, Carnival the best pizza and most fun and cheapest shore tours, and NCL was ok but the food was not so good. Granted I went on NCL before the management changed so I need to go again. Debbie
Old September 5th, 2002, 04:46 PM
lysolq

Have sailed numerous times each on RCI, Celebrity and HAL, among others. Sailed once, and only once, on Carnival. Once on carnival was more than enough, so I won't even compare it to RCI.
RCI has an excellent product, though it is somewhat more "mainstream" than either Celebrity or HAL. RCI ships are absolutely beautiful, but not as "refined" as HAL, or as "elegant" as CCL. Service and food are very good on RCI, but not quite as good as on the other two lines. Entertainment on RCI far exceeds HAL, and is perhaps just slightly better than on Celebrity. You will notice a difference in passenger makeup on RCI. It's noticeably younger and more family oriented than HAL, and a bit less sophisicated than Celebrity. Overall, RCI is a great cruiseline and you are sure to enjoy your cruise.
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob
Default Re: Re: Cruise comparison

(response to Marie's posting 09/03/02) I am happy for all who have had good experiences on RCL, but after more than 60 cruises (8 on RCL), I have to tell you that when it comes to food, service, activity and consistency, RCL is not even close to being on the same level as Princess. Although I will agree with your assesssment of Carnival, which is really geared to the young and wreckless (who care little about quality of food and service, and just want to party), your evaluation of HAL is off the mark.. HAL may not be delivering what you are looking for in a cruise vacation, but it is the perfect choice for mature , experienced travelers and families who want comfort, excellent food, a high level of service and consistency. HAL tends to draw a more sedate, upscale crowd. The ships have a very traditional environment and are like floating museums, with millions of dollars worth of fine artwork. If you want to cruise to Alaska and want to do the cruise/tour combination, HAL and Princess should be your choices. I've done both ,several times each, and I can tell you both are wonderful. They "own" Alaska! I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." You are welcome to your opinion, and I, to mine. Personally, my rankings for cruise lines catering to the mass market are as follows: 1) Celebrity ; 2) Princess; 3) Holland America; 4) RCL (and a distant 4th at that). I prefer to stay away from NCL and Carnival and most of the others, because I have not been happy with so many elements of their products (food quality, service, security, consistency, activity...). In the end, I believe cruising and cruise lines are not "one size fits all". We all have different tastes and objectives. You first need to know exactly what you want. Research. In all my years of cruising, I have been on only one which I have regretted, and that cruise line went out of business less than a year later. Happy cruising!

Post Edited (09-17-02 10:09)