Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Default Do you remember?

O.K. gang. Go ahead and date yourself. A previous thread sparked this interest in me and thought I'd post it for everyone to participate. Let's hear about things from the past that some of the younger people might find 1) wierd, 2) absurd, 3) unbelievable.

I remember when a skateboard was a piece of plywood nailed atop a roller skate.

I remember when you DIALED a phone.

Continue..........

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Do you remember?

I remember wearing a "davey crocket hat". That was before I grew antlers.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I remember candy cigarettes!

Old December 9th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Kay S.

I remember picking up the phone (with no dial) and asking the operator to connect us with #---. Granted, it was a very small town.

I remember thinking $25/semester hour for college courses was absurd.

Anyone out there remember WinkyDink TV program? Drawing onto the clear pastic sticking to the TV screen.
Old December 9th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Do you remember?

OMG Lisa, you're right. I had forgotten about that. Funny now isn't it?

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 9th, 2002, 02:31 PM
First Mate

I remember having a silver Christmas Tree with red balls and a light that had a colored disc that rotated. I still have that tree...inherited from the folks....don't put it up, but have threatened to upon occasion....
Old December 9th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Admiral

I remember my first job as a cashier in a grocery store. $1.10 per hour. And bread specials were 3 loaves for a buck.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Admiral

I remember having to wait for our neighbors to get off the telephone so that we could use the "party line." We had a four-party line for several years as a kid.

I also remember piling into the 56 Ford station wagon with up to nine people so that we could go to the Drive-In movie on $1.50 a carload night. Pajamas and popcorn were all you needed to go with the hot chocolate in the glass Thermos bottles. Those were the days.
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I remember when the National Anthem played just before the tv stations all shut off for the night.
No 24hr tv.
Computers - before "Windows"
8 Tracks, Atari, Pet Rocks, Mood Rings, Pop Rocks Candy, Metal Lunch boxes.
"Gee, you hair smells teriffic shampoo"
Transistor radios, S&H Green Stamps, Sambos Restaurants, Drive In Theaters, Hip Huggers, Black Light Posters and Lava Lamps, Weinermobiles, McDonalds food in styrofoam containers.
TV Shows----
That Girl, Petticoat Junction, Laugh In

Want to go back in time???? Click on the link
Nostalgia

Post Edited (12-09-02 15:49)
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Admiral

I remember following the home delivery milk truck down the street, begging for those neat pieces of ice that had the hole in the middle....fitting over each finger.

Old December 9th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Admiral

I remember 35 cent movies, 5 cent subway fares, 2 cents plain and 5 cents Coca Cola.
Light switches with two push buttons, coal boilers at home and at school and icemen
making deliveries to the building for the ice box. Creamcilcles 5 cents and icecream
bars 10 cents. Bubble Gum for a penny. Ten cent comic books and baseball cards (with gum) for 10 cents a pack. Dad's Nash Rambler convertible. Round picture tubes on black and white tv's and Captain Video
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Ok.......here's another one for you........remember the plastic bubbles that were like glue in a tube? We would put a little dab on the end of a straw and blow the up the bubbles. This stuff had a very distinctive odor........more like fumes......that I'm sure some of the youngsters would love getting high with!!!!! OMGOSH.......they still make the stuff .... surely not from the same material......that would be a controlled substance now for sure!
Here is the link.

http://explore4fun.com/magplasbub.html

Old December 9th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Hey now. This from the "youngin" of the board. I still remember "dialing" a phone, and they also had candy cigarettes when I was a kid.

Even though y'all probably don't want me contributing to this thread, here goes. This will probably make you guys feel worse (it makes me feel bad enough), but here are some other things the kids today don't remember:

I remember eight-tracks. Also record albums.

When I was a kid, we played Atari and Commodore 64. We programmed text-based games in BASIC. Disks were actually floppy. Your computer monitor was your television set.

Toys were unsafe. Kids played outside instead of on their playstations. Toy guns were not frowned upon.

Etc. etc. No comments from the peanut gallery about how young I am, please.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 9th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

I also remember reel to reel tapes, Super 8 movies, Twister (the game), having to open the garage door manually and having to stay at Grandma's overnight and watching Lawrence Welk (uggh!)

Thomas - yeah with all the stuff going on now with big tobacco, I'm surprised the candy companies haven't been sued for making those candy cigarettes to hook kids on smoking (but it didn't work on me! lol)

Post Edited (12-09-02 19:34)
Old December 9th, 2002, 04:45 PM
susancruzs

Does anybody remember Crosley's? We had a little Crosley with wood panels, the first "woody"! It was the cutest car, before that we had a Hudson!

Oh, my, Lisa, I think I used to like Lawrence Welk, Sing Along with Mitch and the Hit Parade. I remember my older sisters fighting with my dad because the newest record they had was "Dance with me Henry" and "Four Walls"! We still have all those 45s and some very thick 78s only recorded on one side. All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth was my favorite 78.

TV was such a novelty I used to sit on my dresser look in the mirror and watch the TV in the livingroom, until my dad got up for something and caught me! I was a major Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and Hopalong Cassidy fan anything relating to cowboys.

My mom did not give up the wringer washer until 19778 when they moved from Mundelein to the mobile home park then she had to take an automatic. We also had a mangle and used it for sheets/table cloths, actually my mother was good enough to use it for other clothes, too. I wish we had kept that item, it had a gorgeous cherry wood cover that flipped back so you could use it. Closed it looked like a huge wood box.

Sorry for going on once you get me started!

Susie
Old December 9th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I remember only 3 channels on the T.V. and 2 of those were fuzzy.

I remember when salt tablets were encouraged to combat the heat.

I remember one speed bicycles with a book rack on the fender.

I remember when cigarettes were freely distributed on airlines.

I remember when a basic calculator that did the 4 basic mathematical functions cost over a $100.

I remember slide rules before calculators.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 9th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Yikes ......is the the same Thomas who denied knowing who Frankie Avalon is??? <VBG>

Old December 9th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Brad Krewson

Gas at $ 0.26 a gallon

Brad

Old December 9th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Passenger

I remember steam engines on the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Even though I am much youger than Kay S, I too remember picking up the phone and asking the operator for SWarthmore 6-0857. If there was no answer, I could ask the operator if she would connect me with my grandfather. Seems she always knew where the old boy was. Of course, the "old" boy was younger then than I am now.

That "haberdasher" in the White House. Howdy Doody? Uncle Miltie? The Lone Ranger and Green Hornet (on radio)? Yep, I was there.

Frightening how far we've progressed(?) in the last half century or so.

Old December 9th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Hey, Guys! Remember those miniature bombs? You'd put a single cap in the nose cone, throw it up into the air, and wait for the boom when it hit. There was even one version of it that launched with water and compressed air. I also remember having a toy submarine out of a cereal box that was fueled by baking soda. Great toys! Right up there with Whammo slingshots, Cape Canaveral sets, and Man-in-the-moon kites.
Dr. Spock, why couldn't you keep your mouth shut? Why didn't your ink pen run dry?

Steve
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Akalways-Deb

Before t.v., listening to Amos 'n Andy, the Lone Ranger and the Creaking Door on the radio; going to the "show" with 25 cents (10 to get in, the rest for pop and popcorn); riding in the cockpit of a DC-6 becuz my daddy knew the pilot; penny candy; calling the operator to ask for a number only to have her tell you that "so and so" isn't home, they went to the show.

Life was so simple "back then".

Deb
Old December 9th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Mgram!
Thomas , you just got BUSTED!

Old December 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Sue - I don't remember this, but my Dad always tells of how when I was just 1 1/2 I would stand in front of the tv and jump up and down to Mitch Miller!!! He says I wouldn't do it for any other music show, just his (I guess I was picky about my music even way back then! lol)

I remember hula hoops, when the Corvair was a cool (but dangerous) car, The Big Valley on TV (I always loved Barbara Stanwyck), baby buggies (or prams), lead paint on the crib and dressers, no sidewalks!

Old December 9th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Remember singing the National Anthem before sporting events. Nobody could sing it right, but everyone sang proudly anyway. Now the teams have celebrities deliver rendititons of it, probably so they can justify the high prices they charge for tickets.
Do you realize that the melody of that lofty, inspirational song was lifted from an old English pub song? If a bunch of rum and ale soaked Englishmen could sing it, why can't we? It is, after all, our song.

Steve
Old December 9th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I remember my great years in "show business".

I was an usher in a grand old theatre, making $1.25/hr. Walked around "in uniform" with my trusty flashlight by my side. Smoking or non????

Actually became part of the theatre management's training program... on what not to do.
Got caught too many times fooling around with the usherettes behind the screen, to the music from Gone With the Wind.

Moved up to drive in theater security, until I walked up to a fogged up car window, and shone my flashlight in and asked. What's going on in there?? When the occupant responded NOTHING... I said.. then you get out here and hold the flashlight <G>
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Passenger

I remember sitting with my Dad in the family car waiting for my Mom to get off the bus from working "downtown" & hearing Fred Fiske on WWDC introducing the new group heard for the first time in the United States. They were called the Beatles.
And, I also remember my first skateboard when my big brother took a 2x4 & a pair of roller skates & made us each one.
By the way, I stillhave my original Howdy Doody Doll.
AND, I remember Willard Scott as the original Ronald McDonald from that new hamburger place every one was talking about
How about Miss Connie & Romper Room with the magic mirror???
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Wow, rootgrl.........I am originally from the DC area ...... I remember Fred Fiske, too! .... and all of the other local things you mentioned .....there was also another local TV show .... name escapes me......I had tickets and got sick, couldn't go.....darn....drawing a blank.....can't even remember the character.

God Bless the internet.........I just found it.....it was Hoppity Skippity - see link below:

http://kidshow.dcboomer.com/hoppity.html

Post Edited (12-09-02 20:39)
Old December 9th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Busted??? No ! ! ! ! Not me ! ! !

I must've dreamt some of those things.

I fondly remember those water rockets someone posted about. You would hook the hose up to them and then pump them up or something. I remember having to go searching in neighbors yards to retrieve them, sometimes 4-5 houses down.

I also remember Jarts. I wonder how many kids were rushed to the hospital with a jart in their back!

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 9th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Oh, I forgot about Jarts! We had a set too! You can still buy them in some stores!

Post Edited (12-09-02 21:11)
Old December 9th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Admiral

God, I loved Jarts!!!! I was pretty good at them until all the safety warnings came out in the '70's........