Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:01 PM
First Mate

Default Opinions Needed- What do you Suggest?

Hi-

My husband and I were *so* close to booking a cruise on the new Coral Princess - but!... thankfully held off and now 4 of our friends ( so we will be 3 couples together) want to book a cruise with us and- since the men all work together and because of their positions can all get vacation time together - want to travel in March.

They have left the details up to me! My question to all of you seasoned cruisers out there is:

What has been a good cruise you have taken with friends?

These are lively, fun loving professionals in their late 30's- with high pressure jobs who really love to be together when they let their hair down and get away from the pressures of work.

My husband and I have only cruised alone- and we were on Carnival. I really want to try Princess but I am open to all suggestions and would do Carnival again. We want a Caribbean itinerary. Mostly - I just want to be successful in planning this trip! I am so excited about this opportunity to cruise with friends!

I know that you guys have a lot of diversity in your collective experience and I would really love to hear what you thought was a fun Caribbean cruise that you took with friends.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond... I am also hoping that since I am planning this trip kind of last minute there will be some deals to be found. I called my TA today and left a message, but what I really wanted was to hear what you guys think and suggest.

Happy Cruising
Deja
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Opinions Needed- What do you Suggest?

I would suggest first to find out if they want a port intensive cruise, one with mostly sea days, or an even mix.

Some people like seeing new ports and discovering the islands while other prefer to lay around the pool at sea and taking in the ship's amenities.

Then I'd ask if they want a laid back atmosphere with traditional cruising profferings or more lively atmosphere.

Then I'd feed these to your travel agent and get a schedule of upcoming sailings that meet your preferences. And go with the best deal.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I don't have any ideas for itinerarys but we're doing a friends cruise in March with 6 other families and just wanted to share your excitement.We're doing a 4 day Bahamas on Soveriegn of the Seas........would love to do longer but $ and time made this the best option for us. Have fun whatever you pick!
Angela Z.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Another question to ask is whether you want to sail for 7 days or something longer like 11 or 13 days.

Also, I take it you live in New Jersey. Would you like to sail out of NYC even though first and last days will be colder to save on airfare?

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Opinions Needed- What do you Suggest?

Hi,

I've actually entertained the thought of sailing out of NYC- it sure would be convenient! The problem I have with it right now is just what you said - the weather here is horrid and I would rather fly somewhere warm because I just don't want to give up any vacation time not being able to lay out in the sun and be outside in the warmth!

The other couples would agree...

After a year of pining for another cruise and getting *so* close to booking (arrgh!)....

it's like - when it rains it pours - and it just starting pouring on me!

I know I have to make this decision pretty quickly and right now I am leaning toward Princess.... most likely the Grand. I actually had it booked and had to cancel it in September due to a health crisis.

Anyway- thank you all for your suggestions - and Thomas, I certainly will bring up all those questions to all involved ASAP!! thanks!!

deja
Old February 3rd, 2003, 05:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Opinions Needed- What do you Suggest?

Go with RCCL and you will not go wrong, they are one of the best for the price, we have been on ccl and cel and they were nice until the last day after the tips were passed out and then they would hardly talk to us and were not friendly at all the last night and morning. On our 2 RCCL cruises they were still just as they were the last day as they were the first, that is what really impressed me about this line, we are booked on the Rhapsody for Feb. 23rd. Our last cruise was 4 years ago so I hope they haven't changed. Bucki
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:32 PM
First Mate

wow! That sounds like a great time! I hope you have the best vacation ever. I really think it's special when you can travel with a group of people! You can't go wrong because no matter what- the bottom line is - you have *so* many options to create your own atmosphere and experiences.

Have a fantastic trip! It sounds great!!!!

deja
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Cruising with a group of friends changes the choosing process for me. Where I would be really particular about the itinerary, the ship and the cruise line if it were just me the hubby, I overlook a lot of those things if the right people are going. Being with a good group of people makes up for almost all inconveniences the cruise line could come up with. It is a lot of fun to run across people you know as you wander around the ship.

RCI, Princess, Celebrity or Carnival are all good choices IMHO and as stated earlier it only depends on whether your group wants more or less ports. Good luck on choosing and have a great cruise. Check back and let us know what you decided.

Carnival Glory
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you want to make it a particularly great cruise I'd join our chat host MaryLou and a bunch of CruiseMates friends on the Brilliance in March 17.
Here's a link to the info...http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...illiance03.cfm

Post Edited (02-03-03 18:43)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 3rd, 2003, 08:31 PM
First Mate

Kuki.

OMG it sounds perfect!! If it was totally up to me, this would seal the deal...

all I have to do is find out if all 3 of the guys can be out of the office (all high pressure Wall Street execs ugh lol) for 2 weeks!

If I can convince them that this is a once in a lifetime oppertunity - this would be it!

Thanks so much for the heads-up!!

deja
Old February 4th, 2003, 12:17 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions Needed- What do you Suggest?

After wavering and reading and reading..... yeah - I am really leaning toward one of the Voyager class RCI ships...

I don't want to see an empty disco at night I think we'd all love the lively atmosphere of RCI, the hyper-active among us will love the on-board activities and getting a balcony stateroom would give us the option of being alone, while enjoying what it's all about- the sun, sea, moonlight, stars, breakfast out there etc....

I agree with Tweety. Traveling with just my husband would make the destinations more an issue, while traveling in a group I think the ship and the atmosphere of the total package is what's going to make or break the choice.

Thanks so much everyone for your input- you have helped so much- again and as usual!

One of those huge RCI new mega ships is up there high on my list of "must tries" anyway!

Definately going to discuss this option with the TA tomorrow when he calls me back.

deja

can't wait 'till I can post and say "we're booked!"
Old February 4th, 2003, 08:18 AM
susancruzs

Even though I'm going on the Brilliance and would love to have your group along, too, I'd say a 7 day on one of the mega's would be a great choice for you! Fly down a day early to allow for weather issues (considering where you live)!

I don't think you can go wrong with Princess, RCI or Carnival in terms of "bang for your buck"! I'd choose one of the biggies, because you get the best of both worlds! Lots of choices, places to have fun but places to get away from the crowds, too!!!

I was on the Golden (Grand's sister) and other than a little quirky layout in terms of the dining areas, I really enjoyed it!

Don't stress over the choosing, think of it as part of the adventure!

Susie
Old February 4th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Happy Camper

The RCL Voyager ships would be great. I haven't been on them - is the night life really good?? Canival does have great night life. I'd like to try a Voyager class too - that might be the best bet. If you are going with friends the only thing about the big ships is you have to meet up all the time. It is too big to just walk around and hope to find them.. Just a thought. Have a great time! We unfortunately (or fortunately) meet too many people on board and our friends can't understand this so we leave the friends at home... Debbie
Old February 5th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Admiral

you have gotten some great suggestions. Here are a couple of mine. Beautiful, silky, sandy beaches = Eastern Caribbean. Snorkeling, Ruins, Falls=Western. Port intensive experience=Southern. Have done all three- you can't go wrong either way.
Old February 5th, 2003, 12:46 PM
JenS

I just got off of the Carnival Fantasy ship to Nassau, Bahamas. There were 17 of us. No one liked the ship or food. We also hated Nassau (ugly, very poor areas, no nice beaches with easy access unless you want to take a 45 minute water taxi to Blue Lagoon Island) 13 had never cruised (and probably will not again). 1 previously cruised Royal Caribbean to Bahamas and loved it (but mostly because they include a stop at their own island CocoaCay). Also, 3 of us previously went on Royal Caribbean to Bermuda. We loved that cruise line and Bermuda was gorgeous. So my advice is to avoid Carnival and avoid Nassau, Bahamas. The RC ship I took to Bermuda was older but really nice. Therefore, the new ones should be excellent. I also think RC is going to be a lot more fun then a Princess cruise. And I know how you feel about making a good choice because because I organized our Carnival cruise and am very upset that it turned out to be bad. Anyway, Good Luck!!