Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old February 25th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- What's the CLOSEST to sailing that U've booked a cruis

I'm in the process of researching an article for CM about early booking VS late booking, and what the cruise line's policies are regarding price drops.
Seems the early bookers used to be the smart ones... now it seems that's changing.

What is the closest to sailing date that you've booked a cruise?

Regards,
Kuki

Old February 25th, 2003, 11:09 AM
SharB

Default Re: POLL- What's the CLOSEST to sailing that U've booked a c

Hi Kuki!
Our experience has usually been about 9 months. For our cruise THIS SATURDAY on Star Princess, we booked 3 months in advance, so that's the closest. As you're saying, due to changes in the industry, it probably won't be the last time. The only bummer for me booking so close in to cruise time, is the lack of time to savor the anticipation of the trip! Oh well, I'll worry about that when we get back from this one!!!

Shar
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Usually I book as far away the the sailing date because booking the flights early gets you
a good price and the flights you want besides the closer the sailing date gets the more the flight will cost.
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I booked two months in advance for my last cruise. It was such a great deal we couldn't pass it up. I've also seen weekend cruises I should have jumped on but didn't, just due to time. When you live in Florida and don't have to worry about airfare, booking last minute makes sense.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Post Edited (02-25-03 11:41)
Old February 25th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Admiral

The closest to sailing I've ever booked is one month. The longest will be my next one....almost a year.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Passenger

it was two months for me.
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Krazy Baker

We booked our Victory cruise on Feb. 8th and our leaving March 2nd. Just got our docs this morning Fed Ex. That's cutting it close.

Kat
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

One year for us. We pay cash for everything, so without a credit card, you gotta SAVE that money first or make payments.

Old February 25th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Admiral

We booked our last one on the Golden about 6 mos ahead,,,,but my cousins decided 5 days b/4 sailing to join us. Was informed the ship was "sold out". But my TA got them on a wait list,,,,and 3 days b/4 sailing they had a guarantee inside or better. Then it was upgraded to outside W/obstructed view. By the time we sailed they had a balcony cabin for only 75.00 more. Unbelievable !!! Now that was cutting it close eh? Can't say enough for our TA,,,she kept right on top of this situation. Happy Birthday Nancy,,,Tomorrow is her Birthday. :-)

Post Edited (02-25-03 22:57)

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old February 25th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Palm Trees

Day of sailing (directly on the ship--walked right on) in Miami on the Dolphin IV in 1990's. We were already in Florida on vacation and wanted to take a 4 night cruise, so just drove to the dock and inquired at the port. Jumped on with a g-r-e-a-t deal. That ain't happenin' no more.
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Admiral

14 days on Enchantment and it really wasn't a great deal. Just decided we wanted to go and took the best price we could find for that sailing. But have seen prices now for 2 - 3 weeks away cruises that we are considering grabbing one of them before Constellation. Just that it might mean driving to Florida to make the cruise still a bargin.

Carnival Glory
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:40 PM
susancruzs

Two months, I think.

In 1996, NCL worked a deal to bring the Norway back to France and tried to fill it with French passengers, flying them to New York and then sailing to LeHarve.

Close to sailing it was only half full so they had deals, one of the few times I sailed with no single supplement and air add-on was just a few hundred, even tho I flew to Miami and home was Gatwick/St. Louis/Milwaukee!!! I think air was no more than 300!

Don't see deals like that much anymore, especially for a single and I had a great room!Big bathroom with a tub, real double bed, it was great!!! ssFrance posters on the wall, a cute little 50's-ish dressing table, quite the room!

Susie
Old February 25th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Last year we booked mid-January, 2002 on the brand new Carnival Pride for a cat. 8i extended balcony cabin assigned at the great rate including airfare of $1150 pp. The air alone was $150 non-stop Boston to Orlando on a school vacation week 2/21. So that was about 6 weeks before sailing. Of course the industry was still suffering from the effects of September 11. This year we booked the end of August for April without air for the same type category on the new Legend and prices have dropped about $200 per person. Looks like I may start waiting longer to book our next cruise.
Old February 25th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Admiral

It's within a month, usually. I think the farthest we've booked was 3 months.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 25th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Five days. Decided to get out of town for thanksgiving. Belonged to a last minute travel club. Called them up and booked. Fedexed tickets to me and I was on my way to Jamaica.

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I think the latest I have booked was about 5 months prior....when you have to fly booking last minute is almost impossible - you can get a great cruise rate, but the air kills you....and besides with my job I need to plan as far as a year in advance if possible to be assured of the weeks off I want.

Old February 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM
seabee

Up until now its been 3 months....this was for an emergency cruise!!! But I am currently waiting for news about snow make up days and spring break. If there is no impact on Spring Break, I will re-book on a cruise I had earlier booked and cancelled at final payment date. So as of now I am at 45 days and decreasing. Frankly this is about as close as I want to come. Incidently, I do have a "provisional cruise" booked for June in case Spring Break doesn't work.
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Mark&Robin

Three days. We got married on 9/15/01 and were supposed to go to Maui and Kuai for our honeymoon. Unfortunately, 9/11 took care of those plans, so we drove to Ft. Lauderdale from Atlanta and cruised on the Grand Princess. Needless to say, getting a cabin was no problem because the airlines weren't flying so people couldn't get to the ship. We got a great balcony room. It was weird cruising and celebrating so soon after a national tragedy, but we were on our honeymoon so we decided to make the best of it.
Old February 25th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Admiral

3 months is the closest in we have booked - Sept 2001 for New Year's Carnival Pride inaugural cruise.

Farthest out is 17 months ahead for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise in November.

Old February 25th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Shari 2

Hi Everyone:

We booked a cruise on the Zenith's inagural sailing in ten days time.

Shari
Old February 26th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Admiral

5 days once on the Ecstasy about three years ago, great last minute deal my TA called and offered me as it was one of those "book now or it's gone" deals.
4 days last month, booked Monday afternoon, sailed Friday noon, last minute with friends.
Jim

Old February 26th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Admiral

About a month--killer of a deal on Princess and yes even my husband went-- I though it was his idea---- now if only I could do it again and again-- it was a 10 day cruise
Cheers
A year plus---for one of our cruises---booked very far out and it was an inaugral that did sail on time-- way back when on the Carnival Elation
April
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:45 AM
First Mate

Last year for our first cruise--8 1/2 weeks (Hubby got the idea to celebrate our 35th anniv. ) and this year 6 weeks. We wait till our basketball schedule comes out and find a window of opportunity to go between home games. This year we enquired about prices Sept. 20, but our TA said to wait for them to come down. On Dec. 6 she e-mailed a pricing summary that was $300 less than Sept. so we booked immediately. I wasn't worried because we had another ship and other dates as back-ups.
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Admiral

I went out of san juan last month, but decided I wanted to take this trip months ago and purchased my airfare out of chicago on a non-stop for $248, round trip per person! Great rate! When I booked it I watched the cruises leaving out of san juan and booked my flight with an extra night staying in san juan which was very fun, then watched the rates fall down.... There were five ships departing on either saturday or sunday, finally booked about six weeks prior with a great rate for a balcony cabin. Most of these ships stopped at the same places! So if are going out of miami or ft lauderdale, if it is not the holidays book your airfare, adding on extra in port adds more ships to the choices! Great hotel rates can be found in florida but NOT in san juan!