Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Who is the MOST INTERESTING person U've met on a ship?

[b]Who is the most interesting person you've ever met on a ship?[b]

Doesn't have to be a celebrity, or officer, or crew ... just anyone you met who you found the most interesting, or who somehow really affected you.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Who is the MOST INTERESTING person U've met on a ship?

Two people actually.------------
Pamda and CruiseAholic. Very interesting duo there!
Two incredible people. They are very loving and faithful friends through some very tough times.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 09:44 PM
Admiral

I don't know if this counts, because we didn't actually MEET him, but on our last cruise, my husband and I nicknamed this one character "Willy Nelson" because he looked, acted, and dressed like Willy Nelson. He wore the same dirty jeans, scruffy T-shirt, bandana and long scraggly hair ALL week, and looked very out-of-place scurrying about the cruise ship. And scurry he did, the guy never sat still, everytime we saw him, he was hurrying off somewhere. Not much of a vacation in my book!

Donna

Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:13 PM
Sue Sue

My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting two very interesting couples on our first Paradise cruise. Our family of four ended up at their table after asking to be moved due to an incompatibility problem. The first couple was from Washington State, the second Couple was from Nova Scotia and we are from Texas. The entire week we found so much to talk about and share. Unfortunately, now we base every dining assignment on board to these folks. So far, so good, but it hasn't been exactly the same.
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Well.....let's see. There was this waiter........took him home and married him! (Well, not quite that simple, but that's the shortened version! !) Then there was this Moose Man....and a large group of phlamingos led by a pamda......

Seriously, I meet interesting people on every cruise, and in everyday life as well. Everyone has something interesting about them, and if you take the time to talk to people and get to know them, you never ceased tyo be amazed at the wonderful variety in people from all walks of life.

Old March 4th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Admiral

If I didn't mention my twins, Mgram and CruiseAholic, there would be a pretty price to pay.

Phlamingos, the entire phlock.

But the most interesting is someone I just said goodbye to last week after a wonderful cruise on one of HIS ships ... Luther Blount.

Here's a look at Luther:

<http://www.eastbayri.com/News/2002/0502/Warren/039.html>

He's a brilliant man with almost as many ideas as he has dollars, and he's got several million of those. He's quite the philanthropist. Lots of his ideas have resulted in patents. He counts somewhere around 30. Even at 86, he still hunts, fishes, and plays the trombone badly.

I talked with him for hours on end. When we got home, I "googled" him and found out even more. He still has, he says, more boats to build.
Old March 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM
David Starkey

Met my wife on a cruise (at the Captain's cocktail party) 23 years ago. Who says it not "worth it" to go to those parties.
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:08 AM
susancruzs

On my Alaska cruise I met an elderly woman who was absolutely wonderful, gracious and so interesting to talk to. She was in her 90's and just dressed to the nines no matter what she was doing! When she walked in with the Captain to sit at the Captain's table, everyone stopped to look. People kept asking me to find out who she really was, they felt she was a celebrity. I didn't ask, it didn't matter to me because we became friends.

I felt like she was living in another era, yet she was very much in tune with current topics. She lived in Beverly Hills, had been on several hundred cruises, incl. many world cruises. I was with her when she was looking for gifts for the door man, the maid, etc., etc., etc.! We wrote for several years, then I didn't hear from her! She sent me post cards from great places. She was such a class act, but we had alot of fun moments because she could be totally down to earth, too! I'll never forget her!

Susie
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Captain

I would have to say two couples we met on a Panama Canal cruise were the most interesting. They were from Vancouver BC but were born in China. We truly enjoyed their company at dinner and had many very interesting conversations. We still keep in touch by email and snail mail now and than.
Old March 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Just like everyone else, we've been fortunate to meet a long list of very interesting people on ships, and have made wonderful friends.

Playing blackjack with members of the Thai Royal Family on Seabourn led to some very interesting conversations, and a private chat with the new head of operations of Celebrity about his "vision" for Celebrity (that is just being put into place now) come to mind.

But perhaps the most interesting was the three ladies, from the US mid-weat, we met as tablemates on Explorer of the Seas. A mother and her two daughters, one of whom had just finished her chemo treatments for Cancer. They were fulfilling this ladies dream to go on a cruise.
The spirit, love and soul these women shared with us so clearly demonstrated the good in people, that it touches me to this day, and I believe made me a better person.

It was quite touching to share the moments of what I call "urgent joy". And it was indeed urgent as the woman with Cancer passed away a week after the cruise.

Old March 4th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Admiral

We once sat at the table with Bob Hope's brother. He was Hopeless!

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Who is the MOST INTERESTING person U've met on a shi

So was she a celeb?????

Old March 5th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Admiral

At the risk of sounding like the Twilight Zone, the person I enjoyed meeting most was my wife’s other side. She becomes a VERY different person when on a cruise. She is usually somewhat of a skeptic and slightly introverted in public. When she gets on a ship she talks to everyone. She participates in many activities. She becomes exuberantly happy and loving. (I swear they pump estrogen or something into our cabin.) As soon as we are off the ship it is like someone flipped off the switch. Click, Hey where did that wonderful woman I was with go… Oh Oh what did I do now?

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!