Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Default You name dropper...

I saw in a string that someone was a friend of a person in a well known band. That got me to wondering.

What famous person do you know/ or have met? Someone you went to school with, an old neighbor, a relation maybe a second cousin, any brush with fame will suffice.

Carol and I had dinner and drinks with Pete Rose….well…. he was at the next table eating and drinking….but at the same time as us…so we’ll stick to our story… We had dinner and drinks with Pete Rose.lol
I have personally met and shook hands with, John F. Kennedy, Pat Paulson, Red Skelton, Louie Anderson, Jeff Goldblum, and Dan Marino.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: You name dropper...

Kevin Costner went to my high school.....several years after me.

Suzi
Old June 11th, 2003, 01:28 PM
First Mate

I had a beer and talked some golf with Nick Faldo at a restaurant.

Went to dinner with Graham Chapman (Monty Python) about a year before he died.

Saw Shelley Long at the next gas pump.

Sat next to Harrison Ford on a plane.

Old June 11th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Admiral

I shook hands with Walter Koenig, (Star Trek's Chekov) as I was leaving a comic book convention. At the same convention I shook hands and spoke with Stan Lee (Spiderman creator) and Joe Jusko (NY cop turned graphic artist extrordinar).

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 11th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Desert Orchid

Grew up next door to Roger Moore(James Bond)and have shaken hands with Maggie Thatcher(ex-P.M of the U.K) oh and refused to wave my flag at Queen Elizabeth 2 of G.B. on a Royal visit.
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Lisa K

related to the man who invented Corn Flakes.
Old June 11th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

My brother is sometimes called on the captain Jimmy Buffet's boat. (does that work?)

Phyll ;-)

Old June 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

My cousin Jay was a member of White Zombie (a heavy metal band that has earned platinum albums, etc and even won a grammy) - he is known professionally as "J". And no, I've never heard his music! lol

Old June 11th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Admiral

As some of you might know my life by day is as an executive with a sports photography company. We talk to athletes past and present all the time and once in a while they come by the office. Highlights for me, Hank Aaron (some guy who hit a few home runs).
Most interesting conversation , Jim Taylor former running back from the Packers.I of course was a Giant fan as a kid.
Funniest conversation, Joe Pepitone, former NY Yankee and convicted drug dealer who called , from prison, as a credit reference for a customer.
Nicest relatives who call here, Mrs Yogi Berra (Carmen) who orders photos for her husband to sign and give away to kids and such in their neighborhood and Mrs Smith,
Emmitt's Mom, who runs most of his off the field business. Also Mr Conseco , who has had several sons in the major leagues.
As kids, we knew Bobby Darren's family in the Bronx and Gram grew up with Dion's (Dion and the Belmonts)family in the Bronx as well (on Belmont Avenue).
The best, Gram went to highschool with the young lady who went on to fame???as
Linda Lovelace.
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Admiral

The closest I've come to celebrity was seeing a few acting in plays in London.

Also in London we stood around the stage door and got autographs from the cast of Rent, most of whom were original NY cast. One of them, Jesse L. Martin, went on to be in TV's Law and Order.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Admiral

PapaB, you'll probably appreciate this. My grandfather and his brothers have an exhibit in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. They played for the Pennsylvania Panhandles under LLoyd Carr, the founder of the NFL.

No, I never played football.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:15 PM
First Mate

My cousin was Mama Cass...of the Mama's and Papa's.

Mary Margaret
Old June 11th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Linda T.

Default Re: Re: You name dropper...

I only know the country band confederate Railroad. My husband drives an entertainer coach and knows a lot of Rock stars. He drives them on their tours. He gets to meet a lot of movie stars too when they come to the shows. He is on a first name basis with Drew Barrymore and also knows Cameron Diaz. He will be driving Ozzfest next month so he will get to meet alot more. We are going to a rockstar wedding in the fall and then I will get to meet some of these people too. I feel left out just hearing stories. Joe is also a cousin of Atlanta Braves new pitcher Shane Reynolds. He also has driven the Braves several times.
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:03 PM
AR

Hubert Humphrey
Tip O'Neill
Jimmy Stewart
Pat Paulsen
Lorne Greene
Arthur Godfrey
Sonny & Cher
Bill Cosby
Garry Moore
Henry Kissinger
Freddy Fender
Dionne Warwick(e)
Tony Bennett
Sen. James Baker
James Whitmore
Mike Douglas
Barbara Mandrell
Porter Waggoner
Skeeter Davis
Donna deVarona
Charlie Daniels
Ken Burns
Ted Koppel
Kennedy
William Shatner
Leeza Gibbons
Elizabeth Dole
Bob Dole
Red Buttons
Mario Cuomo

Without wanting to sound high-handed, I could go on, but it's really no big deal. We live in Washington, my wife was in government for years, and my racket's film and TV production. Most of these people (and many more) I worked with on one or more projects, or met through social events with my wife. The important thing is that most of them are (or were) very nice people, fun to work with, and smart.

AR
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Admiral

I have been very fortunate to have in my lifetime to meet and even become friends with many people that are 'famous'. For the most part they are no differant than anyone else and that is how I have always treated them. Most of the time it is greatly appreciated and lead to some nice friendships, to those where it did matter, I could care less. <VBG> People are people and everyone likes to be treated nicely and the good ones do not like someone fawning over them or making a big deal over their status. I only mentioned Tip because this is how my wife and I met. I knew Tip for years before and he was just one of the guys and yes I have talked to him a number of times since he 'made it' and he is still "Tip" to me and has not changed. (His publicity jerk tried to correct me once into calling him 'Aaron', that didn't go over very well we either of us.) Just a good ol' boy.
Jim

Old June 11th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Yeoman

I flew on a plane from NY to Lincoln, Nebraska with Gordon McCrea from the movie "Oklahoma" and my father in-law was a mechanic on Lee Major's boat at Temple Bar Resort in Arizona and my husband spent time with him. My ex-sister-in-law's mother used to babysit for Johnny Carson's kids when they came home to Nebraska. I guess that is as exciting as it gets for me. In reading this thread to my husband, he reminded me that he had lunch at the smithsonian and Jay Thomas was there and he went over to talk to him. He also installed a water softener in Johnny Carson's ex wife's house. I guess I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to find celebrities that we've met!

Luanne

Post Edited (06-11-03 20:30)
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Suzie

Caught Steve Martin and Carl Reiner in London and made them shake hands!

Saw William Christopher " Father Mulcahey" of ' MASH' in Paris and had a picture taken with he and his wife.

Sat next to Jacque Cousteau and his son coming in to Norfolk, Va. from Monte Carlo.

Talked to Jackie Gleason in Miami Beach a L-o-o-o-n-g time ago.

Suzie
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Most of my "celebrity" meetings have been with Canadian childrens' entertainers, because I was one also on a smaller scale (very local) for a few years. I have met and had my photos taken with: Sharon, Lois & Bram, Fred Penner, Mr. Dressup, Charlotte Diamond, Ken Whitely, and Carmen Campagne. I also met and chatted with Rita McNeil who is a lovely lady. My only other celebrity connection is to a 2nd cousin who was one of 2 teens to run with the torch in the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics.
My biggest wish in life is to one day meet live, in person, Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees. I'm only 48, maybe I have time left?? ()

donna

Old June 11th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Forgot to add that I also sat next to Bob Uecker on a plane (a charter from Milwaukee to Kansas City) when I traveled with a group traveling with the Milwaukee Brewers on a road trip back in the mid 80's - also met Robin Yount and Paul Molitor as as we were staying at the same hotel as the team.....but I treated them as normal people and I think they appreciated it (for example, I did NOT go up to Bob Uecker and say "I must be in the FRONT ROW!"

Also when I was 7 and had a broken arm, I met Miss America 1969 (Judy Heisel) and got to talk with her for about 10 minutes when she asked how I broke my arm and I told her...and she just kept talking to me and asking questions..quite a nice lady!

Old June 11th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Laura T

I have a good friend who works in theater in NYC, and she often takes me to opening nights which is usually a lot of fun for celebrity spotting and encounters. Plus, I work in NYC, so you see them every so often in other places. It can be kind of tough spotting them day to day, since nobody in the city really makes a big deal about them.

These are the most memorable for the interaction involved.: Being rendered absolutely tongue tied and incoherent, when introduced to Tom Cruise backstage at a show. For the record, he was very gracious and that smile is a million times more overwhelming in person. (and yes, he is short). Meeting Alan Rickman in an alley in London. Quite literally rubbing elbows at a party with Michael Palin (of Monty Python) whom I absolutely adore. And having a lovely chat with Harry Groener (they nerdy guy on 'Dear John', the Mayor on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) about "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and how he was dying to return to the show (even though his character was blown up at the end of season 3. I was happy that he got his wish on a couple of episodes this season.

I will admit to one more truly memorable, although slightly embarassing one, but it takes some explanation.

Last Fall, my college roommate and her sister were visiting from Indiana. My friend had really wanted to see "Rent" since it opened back some years now. So we got mezzanine tickets at the half price booth (we got hosed on the lottery for $20 tickets). As it happens Joey Fatone of N'Sync was starring in it. Around Thanksgiving and Easter time, Broadway shows collect money for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. I was fully prepared to make my donation in the bucket on the way out of the theater, but I ended up making a much bigger donation than I intended. After the show, at the curtain call, they announced that they would be auctioning off a bandana signed by Joey Fatone and a backstage tour with him, to raise money for BCEFA and the Susan G Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research (two charities near and dear to my heart). I thought, "Great, that should bring in a nice chunk of change for them." And I love a good auction. I was rather surprised when the bidding petered out around $150. My friend saw that I was debating upping it, and started egging me on so I raised it. A person downstairs in the orchestra raised it again, so I raised it one more time. I fully intended to stop, but the audience started getting into it, and my friends as well as the other people around me were egging me on. Everytime the person downstairs would raise it, the people behind me would go, "Here, here's 20 bucks! Go for it!" I was having a good time. I finally bid $375, and I couldn't go much higher, so I was going to stop. The woman downstairs bid $376, (which elicited some jeering from the mezzanine). So Joey and the actor doing auctioneer duty conferenced and decided to take both our bids and bring us both backstage.

I felt kind of guilty at first when I met the other bidder, turns out she was bidding so her teenage daughters could meet Joey, but it was for a really good cause. Besides, I got to take my friends backstage at a Broadway show and let them chat with a celebrity. We had a really good time. Joey is a very nice guy. Very sweet. Down to earth. Easy to chat with, and a proud papa, he whipped out a picture of his daughter at the slightest reference to her.

I thought it was money well spent.

Laura
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Admiral

John Travolta
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Years ago, in another life, I worked with a concert promoter... and attended a lot of post concert parties, thus meeting many rock stars and up and coming, soon to be rock stars. A good example.. Jimmy Buffet, just before he got huge.

In more recent times we've had a number of film companies use my hotel, or surrounding property and facilities, in several movies made in the area. Don Johnson was there as a producer for one, and Christopher Reeves, when they were filming a Superman movie.

More cruise related...
One Seabourn cruise, I met and played BlackJack with the Thai Royal Family. Very interesting and gracious people.
One cruise on Princess met and played Blackjack with Bret Boone (now with theSeattle Mariners) and Reggie Sanders (now with the Pittsburgh Pirates).
The most recent was on Golden Princess last year.. Jarrod, from the Subway commercials(we didn't meet at the buffet<G>).

Quite a Kuki cross section of "celebrity" encounters I guess <G>

Old June 12th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Familiar Face

Location: Southern IN in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield

We were flying from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise on a L1011. Trick Daddy set across the aisle from us with his entourage. He was very friendly and we carried on a conversation the entire flight. We actually didn't know he was famous until an entire girls volleyball team, also aboard, came over for his autograph. We must confess we are not really into rap music, including Caribbean rap.

We met the so called bad boy of the NBA, Rasheed Wallace of the Portland Trailblazers on our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Elation. He was trying to be inconspicuous by wearing a floppy hat most of the time, however, his 7' height was hard to hide. We were standing next to him in line for photos one evening and I noticed the RW shaved into his hair. It then clicked who he was and I asked him if he was Rasheed whom played for NC in college. He was not very friendly as he did not want anybody bothering him. I told him I couldn't care less about his 'status' I was just making conversation to be friendly.

We were on the Veendam in Jan, 2000, which turned out to be the St. Louis Cardinals group cruise. We met some of the players and former pitcher and now TV color announcer, the Mad Hungarian, Al Hrabosky. That was quite a thrill as we are diehard Cardinal baseball fans!

Post Edited (06-12-03 08:29)

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:21 AM
First Mate

I lived above Ted Nugent's sister (spoiled brat) and I met Dan Hampton (Da Bears)

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Admiral

My great-uncle was an actor and stunt double. But he mostly did uncredited work. He would be the guy you saw walking across the street in the background, or a guy in the posse. If he had any lines they would be one or two words. He found that he got more work if he was unrecognizable.

He is a very fascinating man and I wish I knew the whole story of his life, but I only know bits and pieces. He was also a WWII veteran who was on a navy destroyer that got hit by a kamikaze. He wasn't injured but a lot of guys on the ship were killed.

The way he got into acting was interesting, too. He was born and grew up in Texas. Someone hired him to drive a car out to California. He got several odd jobs out there, and for one he took a bus every day that drove by Hollywood. There was always a group of guys dressed as cowboys at one stop. So one day, he got off the bus at that stop and started talking to them; they were extras in a movie and got him a part in the movie, too.

He's still alive and well and retired in Southern California. He's also still a registered member of the Screen Actors Guild and can vote on the Academy Awards. I don't know if he does, though.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old June 12th, 2003, 10:09 AM
txncruiser

Indirect but funny:

My wife was seated across the aisle from Hulk Hogan in first class on a flight from Florida to Houston. Said he was very gracious and helped her with her briefcase.

Problem was that the lady next to my wife in the window seat was having a nasty problem with flatulence and the wife spent the whole flight horrified that he would think it was her.
Old June 12th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Admiral

When I was in college I dated Vanna White for a summer. Long before she became Miss South Carolina and a celebrity.

Beers with Dick Van Dyke, airplane ride with Davis Love III, served numerous celebrities in my restaurant.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: You name dropper...

When I was 14 I met Hank Aaron and got his autograph while we were waiting for planes in the Minneapolis airport. He was very nice, I unfortunately asked him for his autograph just as he was putting food in his mouth! I'll never do that again, he could have said no but he was very nice.

I also spoke on the phone with Darryl Hannah as part of my job at the time for a catalog company.

I went to the same high school as Jesse "The Body" Ventura (later the Governor of MN) and during my senior year he came and gave a speech during a pep rally. He was still "The Body" then and outrageous.

I stood next to Brad Maule (General Hospital's Dr. Tony Jones) in Knott's Berry Farm theme park in CA. I thought this guy looked familiar but couldn't place it until 3 teenage girls ran up to him and asked for his autograph. Then it clicked and he just looked at me and we smiled at each other and off he went to enjoy his day with his family.

In each of my encounters with celebrity's, they have been very nice and cordial, just as you would expect anyone to be. They are normal people doing normal things, just like the rest of us.

Mrsrocster
Old June 16th, 2003, 09:54 PM
First Mate

John Kennedy (the summer before he past), Patrick Kennedy, Ted Kennedy, Walter Chronkite, Joan London.....many more. I worked at a World War II memorial where we had an exhibit that honored the late President Kennedy and PT 109. We would have benefits and ceremonies that would draw the Kennedys, as well as other politicians and higher up military personnel.
Old June 17th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Admiral

When they start dropping my name, I'll start dropping theirs !!!

WARNING: It will be a l-o-n-g wait !!!