CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Friday the 13th....... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/264338-friday-13th.html)

MaryLou June 13th, 2003 06:36 AM

Friday the 13th.......

Yes, it is Friday, the 13th. Are you superstitious? What kind of things do you do or avoid as part of your superstition?. I always make it a point not to walk under a ladder (I think more for safety sake)....I don't open umbrellas in the house (because my mother would have killed me)....and I don't go out of my way to avoid a black cat crossing in front of me.
I think my only TRUE superstition is the famous one..."If you don't cruise at least annually....terrible things will happen to you".

Set2cruz June 13th, 2003 06:54 AM

Re: Friday the 13th.......

Good morning Mary Lou and all who follow. I can't say that I do anything differently on Friday the 13th. As I do every day I just pray I make to the end of the day. {{lol}} Have a super friday everyone and I'll see ya on the boards.

cruiser59 June 13th, 2003 07:09 AM

I'm not superstitious myself, but the cruise lines must be, or they know that a lot of customers are. I'm looking at the layout of the Golden Princess, and there is no deck 13, nor are there any cabin numbers ending in 13. I knew that planes often don't have row 13, and some buildings don't have a floor 13, but I never realized cruise ships did that. I wonder if they all do. . .

Tweety June 13th, 2003 08:13 AM

Now Mary Lou that is a superstition I would like to live with. How about make sure you are cruising on Friday the 13th. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Denise77 June 13th, 2003 08:30 AM

I try not to be superstitious but always think about all the things I have heard when the situation arises. I don't want to fly in seat number 13...just too creepy for me. My grandma used to tell us that if your left palm was itching you were going to get some money. Thats my favorite one to remember and smile everytime it happens!
Denise

Thomas June 13th, 2003 08:40 AM

Darn, it's Friday the 13th already? That means tonight I'm going to get "unlucky." Drat!

Friggatriskaidekaphobes suffer from paraskevidekatriaphobia today. So sorry!

Regards,
Thomas

excitedcruiser June 13th, 2003 09:16 AM

I make it a point not to let my 18 year old son drive. He was in a wreak (his fault) on the last Friday the 13th we had. Totaled his car. Ug!

Desert Orchid June 13th, 2003 10:02 AM

Good morning from the U.K.(well it's afternoon here so I have survived half the day already!)

Superstitions?yes I go along with that cruising once a year but are you sure it isn't twice a year?!!!
Magpies-on seeing a Magpie you should always salute him and say 'Your Majesty'.
New shoes should never be put on the table-don't ask!! I could never work out why they would be there in the first place!
Cover all mirrors up during a thunderstorm.
Never bring white Lilac into the house .
Never sit on a new Mothers bed,unless of course you want to find yourself in a similar position in 9 months time!
Don't walk on the cracks in the pavement.
Never mix red and white flowers.
I must have had a really interesting childhood because they are just a few I can recall,have a great day everyone,weather here is 80plus today ,it must be the one day we call summer!!
Dessi.

Jason June 13th, 2003 10:04 AM

My name is Jason you know. For those of you scratching your head now. Jason was the main characters in the movies, Friday the 13th, Episodes 1 thru 183,046,589,403. The irony is I’ve never seen any of them… Hopefully, the only harm I do to anyone, is make them hurt from laughing. Maybe this is why I always ”fantasize” the words “hurt me, hurt me baby.”<grin> lol

susancruzs June 13th, 2003 10:42 AM

Boy, not working does something to you! I'm never quite sure of the date and didn't realize it was Fri. the 13th until I saw ML's post! I have a calendar straight ahead of me as I type! Yeah, I'm scarey!!! :-)

I'm not superstitious but remember all the sayings and people really do believe those!
But then again, I never step on the cracks in the sidewalks!!! :-)

Susie

Set4cruz June 13th, 2003 11:07 AM

Full moon and Friday the 13th. I like to watch how the people on the roads drive. A lot of stupid stuff goes on! LOL

Seahunks June 13th, 2003 11:33 AM

Happy Friday 13th to all! And beware the Ides of June. (That's right--in June it's the 13th) Though I'm not really superstitious, I do have certain inexplicable squeamishness about some things.

Several years ago, "Flying" magazine published a short article describing that in 63% of air crashes, the cockpit voice recorder indicated someone aboard the aircraft whistling in the moments leading up to the crash. I really took that to heart during my last commercial flight, a passenger continually whistled to entertain his child. Every time he whistled I kept remembering that article. I said nothing to him, but I certainly ordered a lot of drinks. By the way, the plane made it home without incident.

My only other superstion I can think of at the moment, is red haired women--a bias of experience. Before my marriage, my social interactions with them amost invariably brought misfortune. And...I just couldn't stay away from them. Oh well.

BTW, Orchid, the new shoes on the table was a key plot point in the musical "Blood Brothers." "Wellllll...the devil always gets his due."

Happy Berthday and Buen viaje to all who sail this weekend! Wish I was going.

Steve

http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/...ing_smlCLR.gif
http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f Until Enchantment.
http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03

Post Edited (06-13-03 10:41)

LS80 June 13th, 2003 11:52 AM

Re: Re: Friday the 13th.......

Friday the 13th is a great day for me......my son was born on Friday the 13th. So I always say that's a lucky day for me........& it has been.....& I'm the 13th reply......;)

Post Edited (06-13-03 10:54)

mbuckellew June 13th, 2003 12:11 PM

Well, my wedding day is December 13, so I guess that should tell you that we are not superstitious! LOL Actually, my great-grandparents' wedding date was also on December 13 and they were married I don't know how long, but it was many decades and lasted until one of them died. So we have nothing to worry about.

My parents also have a black cat, so there is no way to avoid crossing his path. Nothing terrible has happened to my family since they've had him, but the poor cat has been neutered and declawed... that's unlucky! LOL

Steve, perhaps that statistic is caused because a high percentage of people whistle on planes? I don't know that that's true, but if it is, it would be inevitable that whistling would come before a crash. Just a guess. BTW, I saw "Blood Brothers" in London. It was OK. I had never heard about the superstition about shoes on the table before that.

Desert Orchid - I sat on my future-sister-in-law's hospital bed right after she had her second baby. That was in December, and I can safely say that that superstition is groundless!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Kuki June 13th, 2003 01:14 PM

I'm a very superstitious person. Not just when it comes to a Friday the 13th. Generally spend up to 10 hours a day touching wood, while throwing salt over my shoulder, and spitting.
I always sleep on the side of the bed furthest from the window (in case it collapses).
I always drive my car from the side that has the steering wheel.
I put on new underwear when visiting someone in the hospital, in case they decide to keep me there.
For years if a black man crossed my path I changed directions (until I realized I had misread the supersition... that it said a black CAT)
I'm often seen wearing a ring of garlic around my neck. Not really a superstion though. It's the diet I'm on. I haven't lost any weight, but I look much thinner from a distance.

salem June 13th, 2003 06:01 PM

Never hang anything on a door knob!
Anyone every heard of that.
My Italian mom always said that.

Mary Margaret

rollerdonna June 13th, 2003 08:44 PM

ML, I love your superstition about cruising at least once a year! i could live with that one!

donna

Toucan June 13th, 2003 09:03 PM

I am not at all superstitious, but I'm sure my mother views Friday the 13th as a very unlucky today when misfortune can certainly befall one. BTW, today is my birthday.

candymaker June 13th, 2003 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Friday the 13th.......

I amnot superstitiuos but the number 13 is very prominant in our lives. Our daughter was born on March 13th, we had our store for 13 years,and the store burned down on March 13.

grant

rollerdonna June 14th, 2003 10:11 AM

Happy (belated) birthday Toucan!

donna

ArkJudy June 14th, 2003 12:29 PM

I am not superstitious, but people do crazy things on and around a Friday, the 13th. As the HR Manager of a 700+employee group, no one in the HR department is permitted to take off the week fo a Friday, the 13th, because we have lots of activity, good and bad, funny and sad, that can only be described as out of the ordinary weird stuff.

That said, maybe I'll schedule my next cruise vacation (after the one we've already booked) during a Friday the 13th week, and let my staff grow!

Happy cruising!