Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Default Food Budget

Kuki's recent poll about food or entertainment and other recent posts surprised me. To me, a major part of cruising is enjoying fine food along with exceptional service. Is it the recent problems in the travel industry along with an overbuilding of ships that have caused prices to come down causing the cruiselines to shortchange our food and nickel and dime us to death or is it that new cruisers have no desire for the enjoyments that cruising has historically provided. I like to think of cruising like going out to 5 star restaurants each day of the trip. When I go on land vacations it is the same thing (depending on locale). Why cruise if I am going to be served luke warm banquet food!

This link (sorry, I don't know how to shorten links) provides some pre- 9/11 food budgets for major cruislines.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...et%26rnum%3D26

Here is the meat of the post:

a.. Radisson, $312.00

b.. Cunard, $300.00

c.. Seabourn, $300.00

d.. Silversea, $253.16

e.. Renaissance, $207.50

f.. Crystal, $205.00

g.. Celebrity,$135.00

h.. Disney, $98.00

i.. Princess, $97.49

j.. Costa, $94.50

k.. Holland America, $91.00

l.. American Hawaii, $88.32

m.. Norwegian $75.94

n.. Commodore, $67.20

o.. Royal Caribbean, $66.00

p.. Carnival, $55.20

Reading the list explains items like Ranch steak on RCI and rubbery lobster (if it exists at all). These are budgets for a 7 day cruise!!!

Wouldn't you like the cruise lines to increase their food budgets even if it raised your fares?

my two cents,

Post Edited (06-28-03 18:41)

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Mariner - Bermuda - April 2016

Seven Seas Explorer - Med - October 2016
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Food Budget

I wonder if the food budgets for the top-drawer cruise lines included the liquor budgets?
Old June 28th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Pamda, it was reported as "raw food cost."

marc

Post Edited (06-29-03 07:51)
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Marc,

The question was on your favorite line what would you want improved. Well since Celebrity is my favorite line and I have found no problem with the food in the dining room, why would I want them to spend more on food. So I could have caviar? NOT.... I too like the 5 star service and good food you would find in a really good restaurant and on Celebrity I do find this. Hence my response.

And as far as the difference between Carnival and RCI, my personal experience causes me to rate the Carnival food above the RCI food. Now I haven't been on an RCI ship in a few years so perhaps they have improved but when I did cruise RCI, I found the food to be quite unacceptable. When I have to send a steak back on three seperate occassions to get it cooked correctly there is definitely room for improvement in my opinion. But as I said the question posed was "On Your Favorite Cruiseline".

Carnival Glory
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Tweety, you are right. That question was posed against our favorite line. I, mistakenly, took it as a generic question.

marc
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Myles

The government always manipulates their figures. I cruised on the Carnival Spirit last fall and also on the Carnival Legend this spring and the food was 10 times better than in the officers mess when I was a pilot in the Air force, and that was the best military food around. Congressman and senators, even the President of the United States, ate with us on several occassions. I don't doubt what you said about the food on your cruise and I truly do sympathize with you, but the food I was served on my last 2 Carnival cruises was really quite good. We use to have an old saying that a good chef could make a piece of rubber taste like lobster and a bad chef could make a lobster taste like a piece of rubber. Maybe!
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Well, maybe I'm not finicky enough, but I've gound the food on RCCL, HAL, and Carnival, absolutely wonderful, and beautifully presented. And best of all, I didn't have to cook it!

donna

Old June 29th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've sailed a number of the lines on that Cruise Reports list.. a couple of Seabourn cruises out of the top 3 listed, and most of the mass market lines..

First off.. While I found food served on Seabourn to be very good, it certainly wasn't 6 times better than my Carnival cruises. I'll see in August if Radisson can meet that standard.
Likely much of the difference in budgets is spent on some of the more exotic foods (like caviar) which don't really impress me. But that may be personal... give me a great smoked meat sandwich over beluga any day.

I personally want more than 5 star dining in my cruise experiences. Give me terrific food and service on a cruise combined with a slow, dreary ship's life, and I'd come home feeling I'd missed something in the total experience.

I guess I tend to rate my cruises based on the entire cruise experience.

Post Edited (06-29-03 09:41)
Old June 29th, 2003, 01:46 PM
First Mate

I enjoyed the food on the Carnival Paradise. I have to say that it was much better than the majority of the restaurants in the area we live. I have heard that the food on the smaller ships was better than that on the spirit class vessels. The service was fine also. Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx
Old June 29th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I am not thge least bit concerned with the 'cost' of the food. What I am concerned with and judge the food by is the taste and variety. The two worst on ships I have been on were the Ren and the NCL. Celebrity was okay, as is RCI. CCL is better overall and HAL was the best of any. It is alaso hard to judge what they buy by cost alone as the more you buy, the cheaper you can get the same items for hence the top fouor in costs have only a few ships and it might cost them much more than those at the bottom of the cost index who buy in much larger bulk. I am sorry but I really don't understand the concept that if it costs more, it must be better. I think that is a very bad assumption to be making.
Jim

Old June 30th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Why can't you get a good serving of fried chicken and chips on any line? I haven't seen this offered anywhere.

Regards,
Thomas