Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2003, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default I have NO accent:):)

In line with Michelle's post, regional quirky words or sentences, can bring make you grin..With that said.......I am from Boston, and as soon as I open my mouth, people say
Boston huh? NOW I don't think we talk funny, OR have strange words..Here are some of the things, people comment on:
Jimmies, are what others call sprinkles...
bubblah: water fountain
frappe: milkshake
tonic: soda
packie: liquor store
Bang a U-ey: when you miss a turn , and turn around
suppah: dinner
rotary: traffic circle
Well, thats just some of our idiosyncrisies..What do they say in your area..????
Trip / Monday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I have NO accent:):)

I've met people in the U.S. who think I have a French accent, not to mention that they think I look like Celine Dion! I guess it's only natural that growing up in a billingual city like Montreal , we pick up alot of Francicisms: depanneur = sort of a 7-11 store, where you can buy everything including liquor at all hours. Pont Mercier or Pont Viau are names of bridges, "pont" meaning bridge. le Metro = our subway system. Do you have a store called Mark's Work Warehouse in the U.S? It's a sort of blue-collar work-wear store, with additional sporty and relaxing fashions. Here, it's called L'Equippeur. How about Kentucky Fried Chicken? KFC right? Well, here it's called PFK, Poulet Frit a la Kentucky! Thank goodness, McDonald's is still McDonald's! And don't forget the ultimate Canadianism: EH?
P.S. you'll notice I still can't figure out how to get those "accent aigu and accent graves" to work!

donna

Post Edited (09-03-03 21:46)
Old September 3rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Donna..Half my family comes from Gaspe Peninsula and ended up inJaffrey N.H, a very French Canadian Town, and I heard French spoken most of my life...I loved "listening" to you speak French.............Trip/ Monday Chat Host
Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:12 PM
Admiral

One we laugh about at our office is how those of us from out west here say "hamburger," while our midwest co-workers say "hamburder meat!" But they laugh at us because they say "tuna" while we say "tuna fish!" !

Old September 3rd, 2003, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: I have NO accent:):)

My aunt from California also says "warsh", and as for hamburger, here in Quebec, we have "Language Police" (Office de la Langue Francais) who go around the province reporting English on signs, and forcing stupid French translations on poor businesspeople. eg: hamburger on a menu must read "hambourgeoise" No kidding!

donna

Old September 4th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I live in Milwaukee and those not from this area pronounce it as it is spelled; however us natives pronounce it "Mah-wah-eky". We also have a famous avenue known as "Highway 100"; we call it "Highway ah-hunnert." Milwaukee is also famous for "bubbler", "stop and go lights" and the famous "where the street car bends the corner around." And no, we do not have accents here, aina!! lol

Old September 4th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Admiral

Columbus, to some degree, is divided into two primary accents by a line running SW to NE. It runs right through the middle of the intersection of 5th Ave and High St. The difference is very subtle but Chris and I grew up on opposite sides of that line.

A few years ago, she commented on my pronunciation of the word "theater." She pronounces it as a 2 syllable word. I pronounce it as a 3 syllable word, accent on the middle syllable. Now I'm so self-conscious that I avoid trying to say the word around her, at all. I'll say movie house, or if we're going to a play, I'll use the name of the xx.
I know it's silly.

I've also noticed a national trend over the last few years in the pronunciation of words with "CC." Success, access, accent, etc. I was taught in Speech classes that, generally, the first C is hard--as in Cup--the second C soft, like "Cent." The trend is that the hard C is disappearing, both Cs becoming soft. Very interesting.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Yeoman

Trip,
I can sympathize with you. We left southern NH for Florida by way of Alabama. I still get kidded. How about wicked when something is really good or taking the T around?
My husband is a die hard Yankee (meaning his family came over on the Mayflower) Still have to translate to the neighbors sometimes. Our youngest who was born in Alabama speaks with a New England accent. Its a riot to hear coming from a child who has never seen snow.
Anne Marsh
NO relation to Jordan Marsh

To all of you not from Boston, this was a Dept store in downtown Boston
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Admiral

We have some odd sayings here in the "Burgh". We say red-up (clean up), sweeper(vacuum), pop (soda), wursh (wash....although I am not guilty of this one) Yinz (you guys....another one I am not guilty of). Altough I was born and raised here in Pittsburgh, there are quite a few sayings that really irk me. You can definitely tell when someone is from Pittsburgh.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 4th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Admiral

I was raised in the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina but went to college in the Midwest. When I was in school I was always kidded about my Southern accent. When I went home for the summer or Christmas break I was always kidded about picking up the Midwestern accent.

When in Rome, do as the Romans ................right?

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Mike, that's so funny! My husband does the same thing, especially when speaking to French people. Not only does he pick up the accent, he picks up the volume as well, as if the louder he speaks, the better they'll understand!

donna

Old September 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Moved from NY, to Flrida 26 years ago, and still have people say, oh, your from NY aren't you? DH from Brooklyn, and I can't hear the accent, but he is also told the same thing. I also pick up accents if around people that have one. Had a freinds some years back that was from Boston area, my DH had to laugh at me because of the "Boston/NY" accent. Jeanne

Old September 4th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Admiral

I love this thread! It is so interesting to me.

Since I was a military brat, we moved around the U.S. enough that I didn't really develop much of an accent, although six years in Texas and twelve years in the Florida panhandle (practically south Alabama) have given me a very slight drawl and just on certain words.

My parents are both from Texas. My mom has no accent since she is from the Rio Grande Valley (almost Mexico), but my dad is from deep in the heart of Texas and has a lovely twang. He is a highly educated man but I love hearing him say things like "over yonder."

Mark is from Rhode Island... His accent is not too bad since he moved here in his formative years, but it slips out sometimes and I think it is so cute! And I love it when he says things like "bubblah" for water fountain or "trolley" for shopping cart.

His parents have very strong Rhode Island accents. I love listening to them, it is so novel to me. However, I have learned a valuable lesson - do not to try to imitate someone's accent. Mark got mad at me once because I tried to imitate his mom's accent and he thought I was mocking her and being disrespectful to her. I really wasn't, I just wanted to see if I could do the accent because it is so interesting. I didn't realize it would offend him.

My biggest regional marker would be my frequent use of "Y'all!"

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 4th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Admiral

I forgot a funny story... my mom called a company in England once to order something and the woman on the other end of the phone kept asking her to repeat herself... the woman finally said, (in a crisp British clip, of course) "I'm sorry I'm having trouble understanding you, ma'am, it's your accent."

My mom was thinking, "I don't have an accent! You're the one with the accent!"

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Admiral

As in "Y'all talk funny?"

One of the most incongrous things I ever saw was a Sergeant in the Ohio National Guard. I think he said he had grown up "M'ssippi." Up North, hearing the Southern drawl come out of his Chinese face...

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03