Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: OT: Martha Stewart going to jail

I'm really sorry to hear about Martha....sorry she isn't going to a federal maximum security prison!!! Look folks, she got caught this time, but I'm sure she did this before, and just thought she could get away with it again. Her arrogance was her undoing.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
John K. Cochrane

I have some news for all of you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "CLUB FED" IN THE FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM." She will have to work for 40 cents an hour while she is there, have a roomate who could or could not be a drug dealer or user or worse. She will not have it easy! I get the feeling that some of you wourld rather see her shot instead of jailed. Shame on you! Get a life!

Where is the outrage for poor little Ken Lay whose financial antics have ruined the lives of thousands of his former employees. not to mention the millions of dollars they lost because of this Idiot! You want to trash someone, trash Lay and his partners in crime.

MS is getting her punishment, which fit the crime! Will Ken Lay and his cronies get equal treatment or perhaps continue to be protected by the guy who presently occupies the Oval office and his cronie John Ashcroft.?

I can not figure out for the life of me what Martha stewart has to do with cruising, Get back to the subject matter ppl.
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Admiral

I cannot help but remember when three years ago (or so), one of David's clients left his beauty salon only to be run over by a pick-up truck by two people high on narcotics. They stopped to look then drove off in a hurry crushing her frail 70 year old body yet again.

These two 18 and 19 year old hooligans (I'm being kind in using the term hooligans.) wer captured and given parole with NO jail time at all. Each of these two had previous criminal records.

Martha has suffered plenty and caused little harm to anyone other than herself. She should be given parole and she should be asked to set up a trust and foundation to do some "good things" to help some other people who may need help with their troubled lives. Everybody desrves one "Get Out of Jail Free" card when they make a stupid mistake.

I probably would have sold my stock too if a trusted broker gave me such a tip. This could have happened to anybody. Her's was a normal knee-jerk reaction, nothing else. There was no conspiracy to do harm as there clearly was in the Enron case.

If Martha Stewart goes to jail for five months, Ken Lay should go for five centuries, or more. The punishment should fit the crime. Or so it seems to me.
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:52 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: OT: Martha Stewart going to jail

Chuck--

The story of the teens who murdered the lady and got away with it is disgusting. They should have been jailed for a long time.

But that story does not justify letting Martha go free. That would be the same as saying that two wrongs make a right, and that's not morally defensible.

You say that Martha has suffered plenty and maybe she has. But to let her go free would be to push her even further into that priviliged class of people who can get away with anything. In other words, the class of people that could include. . .

Ken Lay, who if he does get away without jail time, will be put in the OJ Hall of Fame, and will be villified even more.

Martha will come out better in the long run by serving some time. Because people won't be saying about her later that she got off free because of her fame and influence. She'll make zillions more dollars, and ain't that what it's all about?

Tammar--

I think you're guilty of the same thing: arguing, in effect, that because justice wasn't carried out in one instance, it should never be carried out again. This is practicing ethics on a relative scale and it just doesn't fly. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion would mean shutting down the justice system completely. And while many may make jokes about that being a good idea, it isn't.

And, by the way, to the best of my knowledge the Lord doesn't "hate" anything. He disapproves of the word. It's people who hate.

Johnny Cochrane--

If the charges against Key Lay hold up in court, he should definitely get more than five months.

And, you're absolutely right, this string has nothing whatever to do with cruising. That may be why the letters OT (for "off topic") appear in the title. And it happens that Cruisemates allows off topic strings on this particular board.
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:41 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: OT: Martha Stewart going to jail

This is all SO strange. It all has to do about lying to the Feds! Nothing more. Bill did and so did Martha! A lie is a lie is a lie. Punishment equally appropriate....but was punishment equally applied? It's so odd.

I honestly do not understand it all.

Marty