Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Default Office Gripe

Okay, so I work in a building with about 3000 other people. Every day I see people I've never seen before walking down the hall. I always make an effort to at least smile at the other person. Most of the time they smile back, and if they look pleasant enough I might even offer a verbal greeting.

What I don't understand, though, are the people who, when I smile at them, either stare straight ahead as if I don't exist, completely ignoring me, or look at me like I have a third eye in the middle of my forehead. What is with people? Yes, I've never seen you before and may never see you again, but would it really hurt that much to smile?

Of course, most of the people here are engineers (yes, I'm Dilbert), so they are not known for their social skills. But come on! At least make an effort!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Office Gripe

Maybe the're blinded by your magnificent beauty...have a super day ;-))
SSaFWs..ED
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

They are definitely NOT cruisers. I found that the people I have met and know who are cruisers are more outgoing and friendly and even when they are strangers, smile back. Have a great Day and Night with Mark, and stay are warm and sweet as you are.

Jeanne

Old October 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Yeoman

Hi...it's me...Boomer. My experience with people of huge inteligence...like engineers is that those who do not acknowledge your greeting are usually insecure. That means they are not sure that they should respond as then they feel they might have to actually engage in real conversation. My other experiece is that 7 out of 10 engineers do not know how to sociaize...which also makes them insecure...it is a wicked circle. I feel that they spent those early formative years studing into the weeee hrs of the night when people like me were....sipping adult beverages in the local pub. One way to combate this problem?????give em a big hug whan you say hello!....ok...well...maybe not.
Bob
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Office Gripe

Bob - I think you have hit it squarely on the nose!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 17th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Yeoman

thxs...U married yet????
Bob
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Dec. 13! Coming up fast!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 17th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Yeoman

Michelle and Boomer,
As one who is married to a fellow rocket scientist, I have to agree with alot of the insecurity. You are one of the minority of outgoing engineers. Most have a hard time with anything that does not involve technical terms. I believe that it is a throw back to their days when they had their heads in Math books (D.H.) while there were others that were very busy sharpening their social skills(myself).D.H. just takes longer to get to know people. Keep up the hello's, your smile will eventually thaw them out.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Michelle I work in a much smaller world, about 20 people tops, all women, all educators or office and support staff. We are a very friendly bunch. If someone does not smile back or reply to a hello, then you know something is terribly wrong. It's wonderful working with so many friendly, caring people, and I know I am very lucky. Keep smiling Michelle, if you can't melt them, nobody can!

donna

Old October 17th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I think you should (a) smile and (b) give them the finger at the same time. Then see what happens?
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Admiral

Pam,

I hate to tell you this, but you're sounding more and more like Thomas every day. Go to your room, please.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 18th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Michelle: I've encountered the same thing. It really is very sad. I actually work in a very small environment...maybe 30 people tops and there are always one or two who are just plain miserable everyday. Can life really be that bad for them? I DONT' THINK SO. I'm so tempted to say (and actually have said) to them...Hey, I know two people in the last week that have been given terrible news...such as "you have less than one year" to live and in the other case, "you need a heart transplant". And you know what...those people have a better attitude than the pefectly healthy ones. I just don't understand.
Boomer...it's great seeing you!
So, Michelle, just keep smiling and saying hello...I'm sure you've made the day for a lot of folks.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Why are you people bashing us Engineers? We are not all nerds for Petes sake, some of us like beer, football, and company logo pocket protectors. And I for one, will say hello to anybody walking down the hall with a brand new mechanical pencil.

Regards,
Thomas ( Aerospace and Mechanical, Univ. of Mo.)
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Thomas, I have a shiny new slide rule for you.

<G>

Cheers,
Michelle B. (M.S., Computer Science/Software Engineering, UWF, 3.89 GPA)

Old October 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Admiral

When my children were younger, I devoted my ife to embarassing them at every possible opportunity. I think I did a good job.

My favorite thing to do, and one I've not given up, was shopping around the holidays with a pocketful of wrapped candies. When there were surly, snarly people in the endless lines, I'd offer them a piece of candy. "Here, it looks like you could use this."

The kids, of course, wanted to MELT.

You might be able to come up with an alternative use for this technique. Blowing bubbles as you come down the hall comes immediately to mind.

Pamda, whose engineering credentials extend only to understanding the AMTRAK schedule.
Old October 18th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband is an electrical engineer and believe me he would smile back at any women who notices him.

He's not really a nerd, a little cheap though, just can't get him to spring for a balcony, but I can deal with the two cruises we do a year.

He's also a great Mr. Fix-It. He can fix anything. Just luv him to death.
Old October 20th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Just to emphasize, MOST people smile back and act pleasant. It's those one or two who either completely ignore me or look at me like I'm some kind of freak (and the former are more common than the latter) that prompted this gripe.

Cheers,
Michelle B.