Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks
Default The scoop on Goofy...

Some of you asked about Goofy yesterday. I wish I could tell you all that we just finished our morning walk but I can´t. We´ve come to terms with the fact that we don´t have that much time left with eachother, sad as that is. The meds that she is on has stabilized her. Cancer has spread up through her shoulder but she can´t be operated on due to her heart. The vet and I discussed putting Goofy on other meds and decided against it. So, we´ll enjoy our time together. I was supposed to join dh on several business trips and I have cancelled to be with Goofy.

Goofy is a party dog. We´ve held several parties over the year and I can´t tell you how many times she´s stolen the show with her antics. She always loved the attention. We debated whether or not to throw the party on Sat. or not because of Goofy. The word about her spread fast and several said they´d love to see her one last time. Goofy has a terrific memory and her eyes and ears perk up when I mention the names of people coming. When it gets too much for her, we´ll move her upstairs for some peace and quiet. We´re only having the party from 8:00 to 11:00pm. Hope it´s not too much.

Toby´s reacted to the whole situation quite astonishingly. Toby, ego-dog, decided at some point to take care of Goofy. If Goofy wants to go out, Toby does the barking. If Goofy has an attack, she races between Goofy and myself until I finally goto Goofy. Goofy wanted to go out at about 2am last night and when Goofy didn´t come back in, I told Toby to "bring Goofy her" ("go get Goofy".) Toby found her and started barking so I went out and herded them both back in.

So, that´s the scoop. We´re just taking each day as it comes.

Thank you for all your concern. It means more than you can believe. Pat your furry friend from us.

karen
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: The scoop on Goofy...

That's so sad Karen...I feel with you as I have gone through something similar before. I just hope Toby will be okay...our cat had become depressed when we had to put Dreamer to sleep...but she is ok now...

I wish you all the best ...........Alles Gute und druecke den Hund von mir einmal!

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Karen: That is very sad. It is very difficult knowing we are going to lose someone close to us. But, it does sound like you are going to make the best of your time together.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Admiral

It's very sad when our furry friends get sick. So sorry.

Carnival Glory
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Admiral

This is such sad news Karen. Watson and Wendy send their condolences. We can still hope for a miracle.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 6th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Admiral

I'm sorry to hear about Goofy, Karen. Our pets are part of the family and seeing them in pain or losing them is very difficult. It sounds like you are providing the best environment for her to spend her last days. I loved hearing about how Toby is helping to take care of her too. My heart goes out to you.

Phyll

Old November 6th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear this Karen, but it sounds like you have a positive attitude and that your last days with Goofy will be filled with love and happy memories. I really feel for you, I know how I felt last year when I thought Emma wasn't going to make it, but thankfully she pulled through, (along with the loan for the vet bill!). Emma sends her best wishes to Gofy and Toby.

donna

Old November 6th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Karen, I'm sorry to hear this. When my mom's beloved sheltie, Dixie, passed away last year, she put together a "memory book," a small photo album containing pictures of Dixie from puppyhood through adulthood, along with written anecdotes of some of her favorite memories of Dixie. This was healing for her and also a good way to make sure that all those cute little stories wouldn't be forgotten as the years go by. Something to consider.

Hugs to you.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Goofy: We're so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Even though we've never met, we are thinking of you and praying that you are having restful days. How neat that Toby is there for you. Karen is keeping all the cruisemates up to date on your condition. I know Jan and the others appreciate it.

In thought, Kota and Gidget
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

So sorry to hear this,we know how hard this is and you are doing everything to keep Goofy comfortable. Our prayers go out to you and yours.

jeanne&Ellis

Old November 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Thanks for all of your thoughts! Goofy decided to spend the good weather out in the yard. After I finished my cooking prep., I joined her. It was a nice afternoon.

Michelle, a friend of mine started a "Goofy album." When we lived in Dresden, I taught up to 40 hours a week. She worked about 3 minutes from our apartment and would take Goofy out during her breaks. I think for five years, Goofy was as much her dog as ours! At any rate, she started the album (a photo album she got at Disney) and I´ve kept up with it.

karen
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Yeoman

So sorry to hear that Goofy is not doing better. It sounds like from the way you describe her personality, she was appropriately named. Our Sparky is our joy also so we know how close pets can be. Any time you have left with Goofy will be cherished by her and you.

Luanne

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Karen,
Enjoy your days with Goofy as I'm sure she's a big part of the family.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Admiral

My kitties, Blue Bayou & Fat Nitten, and my dogs, Honey & Reba, send their best wishes and licks to Goofy, as well as hubby & I! Goofy is very lucky to have a loving mommy to look after her...pets are gifts we give ourselves....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas