Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Admiral

Default The Passport Plunge....

That's right, my husband and I have decided to get passports after cruising for many years with only our birth certificates & state driving licenses. Why, you may ask?? (Go ahead, ASK!!!) Well, we decided to put out the extra bucks, (even tho we still consider it a waste of money) only because it seems that different countries ARE beginning to require passports, and we don't want to get caught short if one of our trips suddenly decide it is necessary!

So, after standing for many poses tonight with the digital camera, Ron has finally printed the pictures we liked the best in the exact dimensions! Since I have the day off tomorrow, I will be off to the post office to make sure it is acceptable before Ron takes the dive....

The End of This Story!

Happy cruising, all!

...Jean

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks
Default Re: The Passport Plunge....

Hopefully they´ll accept the photos. My last passport had to be replaced and the photos were rejected at the embassy in Berlin. They were very picky about pose and distance. Now I have a photo that looks like I´ve just stuck my finger in a light socket but everything else is ok.

Be happy with your investment. IMO it´s not a waste of money at all. Times are changing quicker than ever and passports are gaining in their importance.

karen
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Jean,

You made the right decision. A passport is the only way to go.
The passport has speeded up many items for the wife and I. Clearing immigration has been a breeze in the USA and outside. You will not regret the money spent.

Voyager of the Seas Feb 22, 2004

Radiance of the Seas May 2, 2004

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

Old February 11th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Admiral

I agree, a passport is the only way to go. As for the picture on mine, it's horrible, but who cares, as long as it works to get me on the cruise ship and the airplanes.

Carnival Glory
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

I don't even look like my picture on PP anymore, but they always take it. Glad we have had it a couple of times. It will pay in the long run, of not having to sweat if your ID is good enough at certain ports.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Tip: These days photo developing shops have digital cameras that will take a passport sized photo of you.

You can view the photo before they print it - and if you're not 100% happy with your smile/grin/scowl/demur look - they'll take another 'till THEY get it right :o)

Pete
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:55 AM
MichelleM

My passport picture is much better then my drivers license picture. The people taking the pictures at Walgreens were much better then the DMV picture takers.

Good move getting the passport now you can jump on those last minute deals that might require passports.
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:40 PM
pg,

Passport pictures suck! I had mine done yesterday and the lady said they don't want to see my teeth(?) and I wasn't allowed to smile., and that they prefer black and white! So I look absolutely gross, pasty( why did I bother putting on make-up!) and almost scowling!
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Keena

We took the passport plunge also! (last week). Leaving on Constellation March 6th. Everyone assures us it makes traveling easier - I hope so, because the price seems excessive to me. With the money spent, we could probably get photos that make us look like movie stars haha!
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:58 PM
cruisinKandJ

My mantra has always been passport, passport, passport. They've always been expensive, but worth it. Yes, they're ugly pix. I had a sinus ex-ray taken last week that looked better. !

J.
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Well , pg , the lady you spoke to was giving you a bunch of hogwash!! You can smile (I did), it can be in color OR black and white as it states on the documents. Sounds like you got a real cranky lady who felt she could tell you whatever she wanted!

ALSO I was surprised when the employee told me she had to KEEP my birth certificate in order for it to be processed!!! I mean, they are going to KEEP the only copy I have (and paid for!) for 6 weeks...that seems pretty ridiculous!! But whatever....they had certainly better return it to me in the same good condition I gave it!

...and very cute comment, K, about the x-ray! haha!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 11th, 2004, 05:20 PM
cruisingKandJ

I smiled in my color passport photo, too. My husband looks like somebody in a most-wanted ad in the post office.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Yeoman

As long as the pictures follow the guidelines, that are on the application, will they accept the photos? We are looking into finally getting them this year too, and would like to just take photos at home. We printed out the application and instructions so thought we'd have a photo session someday.

As a matter of fact, I have a passport photo that I had taken 26 years ago, I don't suppose they will accept that????? I was a high school senior!!!!!

Any way I can use that for a guide.

Luanne

Old February 11th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jean,
My husband and I also will be getting PP done in the next few weeks. We will be cuising on the Wonder in May & we are hearing its the smart thing to do. I didn't know they would keep the birth certificate, how unusual! So many people on HAL had them & would not travel without them, for obvious reasons I suppose. I don't know if we will go the digital camera route, I'm not sure I'm that good. So many places here in Florida take them for such a minimal amount. Enjoy!

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Admiral

The reason they would not accept the digital photos was because they said the background was too dark. It needs to be white or off-white. Just easier to go to AAA and pay $8 or Costco and get them done....

Mike, sorry to hear your wife was stressed out, even more so than I, obviously! And yes, what a terrible thing to have on her birth certificate, but thank God she made it out of there...

Now the waiting begins!

Happy cruising, all!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Congratulations all! The passport is valid for 10 years -- it works out to less than $1 per month. That's not tooo expensive, is it?