Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
can't wait

Default AIRLINE WEIGHT LIMIT

DOES ANYONE KNOW WAHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR SUITCASES GO OVER THE 50 LBS WEIGHT LIMIT FOR A SUIT CASE. THE WAY I PACK IS TO TRY AND LIMIT THE # OF SUITCASES WHICH MEANS I DO NOT OVERPACK TO MUCH BUT MY SUITCASES DO GET A LITTLE HEAVEY. WE ARE GOING ON A 7 DAY CRUSIE WITH 2 ADULTS & 2 CHILDERN WE HAVE 3 SUITCASES & 1 SM CARRY ON. WE TRY AND LIMIT THE SUITCAES BEACUASE THE KIDS ARE TO YOUNG TO HELP OUT WITH THEM AGES 5 & 7 AND I LIKE TO KEEP MY HANDS AS FREE AS POSSIBLE TO KEEP AN CLOSE EYE ON THEM WHEN WE ARE TRAVLING TO MANY THINGS CAN HAPPEN TO SMALL CHILDERN WHO ARE VERY EXCITED IN A BIG CROWD
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: AIRLINE WIGHT LIMIT

some of the ships have self help laundry ..which ship will you be on? This way you can pack lighter and wash a few things during your trip!?

Old March 12th, 2004, 11:58 AM
can't wait

Thanks I will check with my airline when we get our Flight information from Carnival
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

In Jan we flew Continental too and from. On route going, nothing was said, no extra charges incurred.

Returning from Miami, they charged us an extra $55 on our four bags, though some were underweight, others were overweight.
Surprised me that they wouldn't just judge the total weight allotment for the 4 bags.

Well, not that surprised I guess. Because then they wouldn't have been able to make more money from us. <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I presume you are talking about airline overweight as the cruise ships do not at this time care.
I too liked to pack the heck out of one bigger suitcase rather than schlep around a whole bunch of little ones. Can't do that any more with many airlines having a 50 pound limit. I have no problem even going over the 50 pounds in a 26 inch suitcase (never mind the 30 inch I used to use.
What can it cost you? Varies from airline to airline. For example, it can cost you$25 to be even 1 pound over, per bag per leg of your trip. Can be $50 or more if the bag is 20 pounds over . If you brought three large , over stuffed bags and they were 75 pounds
it might cost you $150 EACH LEG of your flight.
You need to look on the specific airline website for your specific carriers requirements and fees.
Here is something I suggest . At 5 and 7 the kids can in fact handle a small back pack and even a very small rolling suitcase . They make them kid sized. It accomplishes two things. Number one it spreads out your load. Number two it gives them something to carry their own "stuff" in. Number three it gives them something they have to hold on to so they are not wandering (mentally or physically) in the airport.
I weighed our suit cases on our last trip. They came in at 56 pounds each. We had 5 legs to our trip. The over weight cost would have been $250 . For that much, we packed another small bag. Besides it gave us room for souvenirs.
Old March 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM
dan p

What ever airline you are going on,go to their web site and they will give you that info.
Old March 12th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Ginnie

Default Re: AIRLINE WEIGHT LIMIT

Take an extra suitcase to distribute the weight and hire a porter to help with the luggage.
That's what we do.
Ginnie
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

American advised to take 2 expandable suitcases to keep within the weight. I plan on doing just that with a rollaboard and a purse(like a tote) for the personnal item. I still think they would be better off accepting 1 30". Look at all the space they would have.
Old March 13th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Take more suitcases. With four of you, you can check EIGHT bags.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:49 PM
sandyhill

We were told that the charge for any bags over 50 pounds was $50/bag.

Get some luggage with wheels and you can biggy-back 2 or 3 together with the straps that are on top. If you are not sure how to do this, ask someone in the store luggage dept. That's what we did, so it made it easier to take more bags.