Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:40 PM
salem5050

Default Warning....political in nature...do not read if you get upse

Ok I am going to just burst if I don't discuss this with others around the country. After watching the news last night and seeing the civilian Americans hanging in Iraq...I just want to say...bring our people home, let them have their country. Sorry to offend anyone, and I do not intend to make this a nasty topic, I am just upset and frustrated at the situation. Can we discuss this topic without anyone getting mad about others opinions. I feel everyone is entitled to express what they feel with out anyone going off on them. Its just become such a sad world, that while we are helping such needy people there, that some take up with such violence. I know this is a cruise board, but just wonder what others from around here think. If this is too much of a political topic, I feel no hard feelings if the thread is deleted.

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Warning....political in nature...do not read if you get

I think youve said what alot of people are thinking ----I just cant seem to find the right words to say what I am feeling about what happened and whats going on.
April
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:01 AM
Julien A

It is very sad but someone has to step in all the time and do something to help others, help the world .It is true they are putting their own lifes at risk because in Iraq it is a very dangerous place. You see young courageous people, devoted loosing their life. I am very proud of them though I am not American. What I pray is that the people of Iraq understand that all the interventions by foreign countries is for their own good and they should put their pride aside. This won't make them loose their identity or religious belief. Iraq itself historically is a stepping stone in the earliest civilization of the world, the ancient world and what they possess is a treasure for them and the whole world. There are so many things going on in this world good and bad. Different cultures and you won't believe how much sufferings. This morning I heard on the radio that 75% of deaths among young women somewhere in India is suicidal.

From DAILY TIMES (Even so, the phenomenon is clearly significant, they say, adding that a major potential cause is Pakistan’s turbulent history, causing wrenching uncertainty and economic distress. “Pakistan’s population has been exposed to socio-political instability, economic uncertainty, violence, regional conflict and dislocation for the past three decades,” the study says. “These are risk factors for psychiatric disorders.”

Nor is the situation in India any source of comfort. In the countryside, the suicide rate among India’s youth may be far higher than is reflected in official figures. In an analysis of deaths at Vellore in the southern state of Tamil Nadu, researchers found that suicides account for about a quarter of all deaths in young men and up to 75 per cent of all young women. Many deaths, apparently driven by family conflicts, domestic violence and lost romantic ideals, were caused by pesticides which are easily available. “These very high rates of suicide need urgent intervention,” the study in The Lancet says.

In six of the seven countries of the region (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal and Pakistan, with Sri Lanka being the notable exception), girls and women suffer widespread discrimination, from basic nutrition and access to vaccination to access to reproductive healthcare and help against rape and domestic violence.

“Gender-based health disparities among the population aged under five years are larger than anywhere else in the world. A girl between her first and fifth birthday in India or Pakistan has a 30-50 per cent higher chance of dying than a boy.”

Another problem is tobacco, which is chewed as well as smoked in many countries in the region. South Asian countries are making only cautious headway, if at all, to tackling this scourge. “Smoking increased substantially between 1990 and 1999 in Bangladesh, India, the Maldives and Pakistan, reflecting a shift in the focus of the tobacco multinationals towards poorer countries, which have less effective regulations,” an editorial in the BMJ says. A study accompanying that piece says that the poorest Indians consume the most tobacco. In many households, tobacco gets priority over food and other essentials )

Anyway back to the topic all we can do is pray that things get better in Iraq and thanks God for those who gave their lifes for humanity and to help the ones in need.

Thoughts
The next time you feel like God can't use you & don't love you, just remember...

Noah was a drunk
Abraham was too old
Isaac was a daydreamer
Jacob was a liar
Leah was ugly
Moses was hesitant
Gideon was afraid
Samson had long hair and was a womanizer
Rahab was a prostitute
Jeremiah and Timothy were too young
David had an affair and was a murderer
Elijah was suicidal
Isaiah preached naked
Jonah ran from God
Naomi was a widow
Job went bankrupt
Peter denied Christ
Martha worried about everything
The Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once
Zaccheus was too small
The Disciples fell asleep while praying
...and
Lazarus was DEAD!

NOW...no more excuses! God can use you to your full potential. Besides, you aren't the message, you are just the messenger.
God is waiting to use your full potential!

Julien A
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
First Mate

Ok, Hope I don't get crucified for this but here is my 2 cents.
First of all, The United States of America is our country and the president and whoever else should keep their nose out of other countrys business unless it will harm our country. What the Iraq leader and his people do is their business. Now, the real person who the war should have been against didn't happen and now american's are dead to fight an unneccessary war. You ask the mother's of those dead soldiers if they wanted this war. Tell the babies that grow up how their daddy died fighting a war that has no explanation while a mass murder wonders free in his country alive. Now OUR MONEY is going over there to rebuild a new Iraq. Hell on that. Rebuild our country. Make new shelters for the homeless. Give some more money to cancer research, hell build more cruise ships, just keep our money here in AMERICA. And if there is any truth to the rumor that the war was actually to gain control of oil, then let me say this. I would rather pay $5.00 a gallon for gasoline & have no heat in the winter time than to have all those families grieve the lost of their love ones.

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Oh good.. now we get to mix politics and religion, and protectionism all in one thread, and we're only 3 posts into it.

There are many many forums on the Internet dedicated to discussing these issues if you so choose. There are many organizations you can join to try and do something to support you views. In my opinion.. this is NOT the place for either.

We're here to argue about simpler details of life, ... like early seating vs late seating. Though I suppose the "evils of tobacco" arguement could fit in on some threads.

Post Edited (04-02-04 01:18)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Julien A

Stacowgirl I like that one on' hell build more cruise ships' nicely said.

Julien A
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
salem5050

I see no reason to not discuss this here, so far the posts have been quite interesting, and it seemed to bring some "lurkers" out and got them to post. I have seen many many un cruise related topics here.

Rember Kuki this is chit chat, and does not have to be cruise related, as stated here many times. And the bottom line is if you don't like the post topic, then just skip over it and do not waste time posting a negative statement about the post.

I for one found the info interesting..and hey hey I am for building more cruise ships.
After all look at what its like on a cruise ship...so many nationalities put together getting along....THATS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT. Maybe we all should just live on cruise ships forever...I am for that.

Mary Margaret
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:15 AM
Passenger

Inappropriate topic for this web.....it will lead this web down a slippery slope
to every door imaginable....would love to discuss politics - events....but not
on this web site....Oh well to each his own.

[img]http:/cruise-forums.com/countdown.php?month=10&year=2994&day=09&hour=17:00[/img] glory
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:15 AM
WhiteKnight911

I think this is probably not the best place to discuss all these worldly tragedies unless they impact the cruising public. Unfortunately, sticking our noises in other cultures business and trying to impose our standards on them, only creates animosity towards us and makes it more dangerous for us and our future generations to cruise places around the world without fearing for our lives.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
Admiral

This is NOT the place to post this discussion as even though this is a chit chat board, it is NOT a political, religious, etc board and these topis do almost always lead to feelings that tend to turn hateful which violate the TOS. So far none have really violated the TOS but I know it is coming and this entire thread will probably end up deleted. I am asking you NOT to post things of this nature as it has nothing whatsoever to do with cruising. If you want to vent about politics or religion etc there are approprate boards to do so, not at Cruisemates.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Admiral

I've ammended a very blunt saying. Goes like this:

Opinions are like A@@holes, Everybody has one.
I'm very comfortable with mine, but all others are unpleasant, and I don't care to be introduced to them.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:01 PM
salem5050

Ok Ok Ok, enough of this horrible chit chat! Sorry I started it..ahaha.
As I said at first go ahead and delete the thread...I had my say.

Ok so now on for some interesting chit chat.

Anyone have a suggestions?

Mary Margaret
Old April 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
julianne

kuki

What is wrong with you lately? Your posts used to be funny or informative. Now you always seem to be putting someone or their thoughts down. Maybe it's time for another cruise, Is that unpredictable weather in Calgary finally getting you down. You know, snow suits one day and swimsuits the next.

Live and let live.

Juli
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Juli,

Perhaps because it's easy to joke and have fun with topics which don't discuss the true evils of the world and everyone's views on appropriate cures.

We all have our own "lists" of world issues that we think about, worry about, and in some cases try and do something about. And all of us should continue to support those views in the appropriate places.

The cause of the MOST unfortunate incident which caused Mary Margaret to address in her original post was religious intolerance, and MANY wars throughout history have been in fought in the name of religion, and their gods.

Then along comes a post talking about God. Who's god? Jesus, Allah, Buddah, Mohammed? ... who's interpretation of their god's views? Again... not an appropriate discussion for this forum... and particularily hard to joke about, because they are often DEADLY serious.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:36 AM
salem5050

Ok Kuki I get your point "sorta", but I did not make any reference to religion, I basically was frustrated at mans unhumanity to man, nothing religious in my post what so ever. Others voiced religion, but not me. I know religion is a no no to discuss with people in person or on the computer. I do not go there ever!

I think sometimes I would be better off not watching the news ever, because I do take issues so seriously of how we humans treat each other.

Maybe I was wrong to talk war here, but I really wanted a sampling of how others especially Americans felt about what is going on in Iraq. We all talk at work about it and just was curious how some felt here. If they agreed to stay or go, I would not feel any different about anyone.

Sorry to inflame.

Mary Margaret