Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Can't wait

Default need to cancel cruise

Has anyone had any experience with canceling a cruise on Carnival without buying trip ins. We just rec'd some bad news about my mother and she is unable to make the trip due to a serious medical condition which requires immediate surgery. The rep at carnival said to write a letter requsing a cruise credit and no gaureentee but the may issue one or part of one. We have a doctors letter to back our claim

Any one else have any experience with this ?????
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Pea

Default Re: need to cancel cruise

When is your cruise? If you are outside final payment, you should be everything back. If you are inside final payment without any insurance, there is no guarantee how they will handle it. These are the types of circumstances cruise insurance is meant for.

Pea
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, if you are before final payment, you can get all your money back, then less than that a certain percentage....Hope your mom will be alright and you can re-schedule another cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Can't... while I certainly DO sympathize with your mother's condition (and hope she recovers quickly). What Pea stated is absolutely CORRECT.

These are PRECISELY the type of situations insurance is meant to cover.... amongst other unforseen events like illness etc.

We simply do not have the luxury of being able to know when and what problems are going to befall us. If we did, we'd just cancel our plans early and wouldn't need insurance.

If you're already within the penalty period I'll be very surprised if Carnival (or any cruise line) would allow any sort of re-compensation, other than what's called for in their passenger contract. If they do, you should count yourself lucky.

This might sound harsh under the circumstances, but I see no reason the cruise lines should be held responsible for anything that may influence the travel plans of every passenger who books a trip on any one their ships.

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Carnival is very good at trying to help people that have legit reasons and may issue a credit for a future cruise but understand that they have to do nothing. It is clearly stated in your contract what the penalties are and this is the reason why Cruise Insurance is such a good idea. I am sorry to hear about your Mom and hope everything turns out well. I also feel that CCL will do the very best they can for you as they really do try to maintain good customer relations.
Jim

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Admiral

I'm sorry to hear your news. However, "the usuals" are right on about cancellation.

But that's not the most important reason for insurance. It can be a big bite, but most people can absorb a missed cruise's cost with not much more than some colorful language. It's the medical care and a possible med-evac that can wipe out your retirement savings.

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Admiral

I believe can't wait is leaving on the Destiny this Sunday, which is obviously way beyond the no penalty cancellation period. How unfortunate!

I agree with the others, you should consider yourself lucky and one of the fortunate few if you get a cruise credit. I sure hope your Mother recovers fully and quickly, that is the main thing, but losing out on your cruise is crushing as well.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:30 PM
SarahJ

I don't worry about this type of situation --I buy insurance.