Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Default OT: American Idol

finally! JPL got voted out. Sorry but he is not a great singer, didn't like him from the start.
Fantasia, Jennifer and LaToya really set the bar high. Next to go? John????
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: OT: American Idol

I am also glad JPL got voted out. I am really hoping Diana will be next. She gets on my nerves. She is way too fake and pageanty.

I've always thought John Stevens has a pleasant voice when he sings something from his genre - like he did Wednesday with "As Time Goes By" - but he's really not what the competition is looking for and when he has to sing something more modern, he does poorly. He should be next after Diana.

Just MHO.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (04-16-04 08:48)

Old April 16th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Admiral

Oh, and I forgot about whatsername, I mean Jasmine. I always forget she's even on the show because she's so blah, bland, and boring. She needs to go soon, too.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Pea

Next week is Barry Manilow. If John picks the right song and sings it well, he might well squeak by.

The DiBot (Diana DiGarmo), or as she is otherwise known, R2Di2, is not well liked. She sings emotional songs, yet there is something missing there...a vacant look in the eyes. I'd predict that she is the next to go.

If I had to guess, if all the good singers give good performances next week, the bottom three should be Diana, John and Jasmine. But, anyone could mess up, as George did last week.

I'm amazed JPL went. Not because I think he's good, but because he has such a large fanbase and his performance last week was actually a lot better than his performances of the previous weeks and he never landed in the bottom three when he had really bad performances, so it doesn't make sense. Perhaps, TPTB instituted their "power calling" loophole and got rid of any extra votes for the same performer coming from the same phone number. Of course, that isn't fair to families that share one phone line and all may want to cast their own vote, but it also isn't fair when some people brag about voting over 1000 times for one performer.

I see the final four being George, Fantasia, LaToya and Jennifer. Who goes on to the final three is up for grabs. George is the only one that is universally "liked" on a lot of the message boards. Fantasia and Jennifer have a lot of people who dislike them and Latoya just doesn't seem to elicit a response good enough to make people vote for her.

Pea
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Wadda ya wanna bet that red-haired John sings Mandy, next week? In fact, the 7 songs that will be on the program will be

Mandy--John; Daybreak--Diana; I'm Ready to Take the Chance (by whatever title)--George; Copa Cabana--Jennifer; I Write the Songs--Latoya; Trying to Get the Feeling Again--Fantasia; I Can't Live Without You--Jasmine.

However, I won't be too surprised if I'm wrong.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Jasmine has turned out to be dissappointing. She started off with a bang and i was impressed but lately i have found her to be boring and unemotional. Maybe the pressure is getting to her. Same thing goes for Diana.- started off strong but is fizzling out- no emotion.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Pea

I was hoping JPL would be around for Manilow and dress up in his banana outfit for Copa Cabana!

John should do "It's a Miracle"...cuz I think it will be a Miracle if he lasts another two weeks.

I could see the DiBot doing Bandstand. No really feeling there.

For all you who really like AI, I love the forum at TWoP (Television Without Pity). Some excellent snarking.

Pea
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Admiral

I can't believe it took so long to get rid of JPL. He never could sing, and he sure can't dance, but I guess he got votes because he's cute as a button. John S. is great as long as he sings Sinatra-style, but will never make it otherwise. Jasmine is a good singer, but probably too young, as is Diana. The 3 other women are great, as is George, and I sure like his personality more than theirs. Time will tell....

donna

Old April 16th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Admiral

What about George, I think he will probably go just before it gets down to the three women previously mentioned.
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
SarahJ

Fantasia drives me crazy. There is something about her voice that really annoys me.

I agree, George didn't do well but he is my favorite. Jennifer is also very good.
Old April 17th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: OT: American Idol

SaraJ, I agree about Fantasia, everytime I hear her, I think she must have inhaled some Helium (sp?) prior to singing. I hope to see LaToya, George and Jasmine
in the finals. I think Jasmine has a wonderful voice, she just needs to give it a little more emotion when she sings. Something about Jennifer, she seems to have an "attitude:.
Nancy
Old April 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Pea

Jennifer has those "scary eyes" . Lots of people mention those.

Fantasia is an enigma. Most people who don't like her, don't like her because of her attitude. Some people just don't like her Macy Gray style voice.

Last year, it was said that white America would not vote for an African-American Idol...and it was proven wrong. I think that will happen again this year, as the African-Americancontestants seem to be the ones with the strongest talent (voices and persona...important for selling).

Pea
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I still like John ...... I just love those eyes and red hair. i hope he goes on I think he did Mandy very good

Carnival Celebration 94
Carnival Fantsy 96