Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Passenger

Default Canadians, please help

Good morning!

On Memorial Day week-end my husband and I and our 7 year old son will be flying in to Seattle for four days. We want to visit Canada and probably stay a night or two over there. We have never been to Canada and we know nothing about it. Could someone please tell us places to go and things to do and see. Could someone also recommend a hotel? I was told there is a ferry that will take us over from Seattle to BC. I was also told the ferry will take us to the San Juan islands. That sounded interesting. Does anyone know anything about that? Would that be a good place to get a hotel for the night. What is there to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Canadians, please help

ummm, canada is massive so you would probably have to be a little more specific as to which provinces or cities you would like to visit here before asking which hotel to stay at. I am from Montreal, Quebec, but that is quite a way from Seattle. British Columbia, Vancouver is closer to Seattle and is one of the most exciting places you will ever visit as it it has an abundance of activities(stanley park, the aquarium, shopping) for everyone.

But, honestly this conversation is like me asking you which place and hotel I should visit in the United States. First decide how far you would like to drive from Seattle and do some research on the surrounding provinces and cities.

Voyager of the Seas, 01/03
Radiance of the Seas, 01/04
Radiance of the Seas, 05/04
Sovereign of the Seas 08/04
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Thanks! I've done a little research on the internet and Vancouver and Victoria sounds interesting. I would like to visit both places if possible. I'm not sure how far the drive is to those two places. I only have four days but I would like to get in as much as I can. I just need to find some things to do and places to see.
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Vancouver and Victoria are beautiful cities. There is a car ferry that runs between the two. Haven't done it for some years myself.

Old April 21st, 2004, 09:54 PM
Julianne

From Seattle you can take a ferry to Victoria. Very nice city, some say like England but I'm not so sure. From Victoria you take a ferry from Swartz Bay to the most beautiful city in the world, VANCOUVER. So much to see, so much to do. Lots of reasonably priced hotels but make sure you book in advance. We are very popular, lots of tourists and the cruise season starts May 2nd.

The return drive to Seattle from Vancouver is only about 2 hours, not counting the line ups at the border which can sometimes be 1 to 2 hours.

Please visit our city, you will be awed, the scenery and the people are truly amazing, friendly and very accommodating to visitors.

Remember, we Canadians love to show off our country.

Have a great time

Juli
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:30 AM
First Mate

Sharon,

I don't think there is a car ferry from Seattle to BC any more, while there is one from Port Angeles to Victoria and Anacortes to Sidney (near Victoria). there is a passenger only ferry though. Here is a link to get you started on ferry schedules:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/visi...other_services

Hope you enjoy our area, eh!

richard

Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Thank you all so much! I'm excited and I can't wait to visit!

Old April 24th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Admiral

I've been to BC once, seen a little of Vancouver, and a little of Victoria. The Empress Hotel in Victoria is a must, especially for the old English afternoon tea - quite the experience! ALso, you might want to visit Buchart Gardens, very beautiful, but I went in July, and I think your Memorial Day weekend is in May, is it not? In May, it may not be in full bloom yet, however, Victoria has a much earlier spring than here in Montreal!
If any of you are steam train buffs, I recommend the ferry from Vancouver to North Vancouver, and a day trip on the Royal Hudson steam train up to Squamish - absolutely breathtaking scenery, and a beautiful old steam train. Have fun, and welcome to Canada!

donna (who assures you, you won't need heavy coats in Vancouver in May; rain gear maybe, but no snow!)

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Yeoman

ROLLERDONNA---- bite your tongue--- here in VICTORIA our flowers started blooming in late Jan. I am not kidding. For goodness sake we have an annual flower count in Feb. . I have heard that you easterners have a hard time believing us about our awesome weather, but apparently it is true!! We even get less rain than Vancouver!!

Victoria is on Vancouver island, and Vancouver is on the mainland. ( confusing a bit isn't it!) The ferry ride between Vancouver and Victoria is 1 hour 35 minutes( car ferry) it is a lovely cruise, you may even get lucky and see some whales!Ther e is a ferry between Port Angeles and Victoria , but I have no idea when it runs.

Come to Victoria, you will love it , it is so clean pretty and quaint, and yes the Butchard Gardens are truly ammazing( even if you are not a "garden person") they are open EVERY day of the year and are spectacular!