Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2004, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Default Grandeur o/t Seas questions...1st. cruise!

Hi everyone! I am sooooo happy to have found this site! Can you help a 'newbie' with our first cruise? Grandeur o/t Seas. May 31st. (11 days, Caribbean) Here come the questions:
* What are port charges & how/when do we pay for them?
* What is the ship like as far as decor & comfort? The stateroom looks small.
* What pitfalls should we look out for?
* Do I need to take an iron or does the Downy Wrinkle spray really work?
* Best shoes to wear on board?
* Best things to do & where to eat while in:
* St. Thomas * St. Marrtin * San Juan
* Best place to shop?
* How is the spa on board?
AND ANYOTHER SUGGESTIONS THAT YOU MAY HAVE....WE APPRECIATE
ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE US. WE ARE SOOOOOO ANXIOUS & ARE COUNTING
DOWN THE DAYS.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Pudy
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Grandeur o/t Seas questions...1st. cruise!

Congrats on your first cruise. It's a pretty exciting time for you right about now. The days are counting down and soon you will be as addicted as the rest of us on these boards.

Let's see if I can answer some of your questions.

Port charges are charged by your TA and by now you have already paid them.

None of the cruiselines allow irons in the cabins. Have never used Downy Wrinkle spray so can't tell you if it will work or not. As a general rule, most of the wrinkles can be taken care of by simply hanging the garments in the bathroom while you shower. If you have some extremely wrinkled things you can always (for a fee) have them pressed while onboard.

I usually wear sneakers or rubber soled sandals while onboard. Decks can be a bit slippery in the pool area so rubber soles are best.

As for shopping, St Thomas or St Maarten are the best places to go for bargins. Me personally I prefer St Maarten, but that is just a personal preference. Most of the stores are in all of the ports. Just make sure you have done your homework and know the prices of things before you begin to shop.

Be sure to bring suntan lotion as the sun in the Caribbean is much stronger than what you would encounter here in the states. You certainly don't want to get sunburned the first day out and not be able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Hope you have a great cruise and make sure to come back and let us know how you enjoyed it.

Carnival Glory
Old April 27th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Pudy.....
You are on a ship, you have paid your port charges State rooms ARE small, but manageable... unpack quickly,and your suitcases usually go under the bed, small spaces, so you may not be dancing in the cabin....Pitfalls are babies in the hot tubs..ugh
I pack a small travel steamer...also you can put something in the bathroom, and turn the shower on..the steam may take care of wrinkles..I don't care for the spray.. I take tons of shoes, and i am proud of it For shopping..buy it where you see it, or you may never stop thinkingwhat could have been mine;(..Both islands are a shoppers nirvana....If you need ANY more info, I suggest you book a ticket for me, and I will come along with you Have a great time !!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 27th, 2004, 11:52 AM
cruisinKandJ

Sounds like a great time. Absolutely buy it when you see it. I'm already regretting by husband's advice not to buy a pair of diamond and pearl earrings that I saw on Portobello Road in London.

J.
Old April 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CruiseLuvr

Hi Prudy

Are you leaving out of Baltimore Md? Port Charges should have been charges by your Travel Agent when you paid for the cruise.
Wrinkles - I have also taken a portable steamer along and that worked great, but you can also have it sent to the laundry for pressing
Shopping - I haven't been to ST Maarten before this will be my frist. I have been to St Thomas and San Juan.

I'm wondering what kinds of tours RCCL are going to be offerning in Port Cavenral FL:.

Maybe I'll see you around on board.. This will be my 8th cruise 1st time on RCCL and 7 times on CArnival.

Are you flying into BWI to board the ship?