Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Where do you put your...

Hello everyone...

Can anyone tell me where you put your items when you do an excursion? For ex...if I'm gonna snorkel or swim with the dolphins where do I put my bag with my towels money and whatever else in it at? Like do they have lockers or do you just let it be? How trustworthy are these places? Just wondering please...
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Where do you put your...

At Dunn's River Falls, there are picnic tables on the beach "guarded" by a tour employee, where you leave all your stuff. It never looks too safe to me though, and I think generous tipping will ensure the safety of your valuables. When we went to the Dolphin Encounter (I forget where), there were lockers, also guarded, and also tipping was expected. They demand you take off all hand/arm jewellry so as not to scratch the dolphins, and this made me very nervous, leaving those kind of valuables behind, but it was ok. Good luck!

donna

Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Passenger

I bought a waterproof thing that I can hang around my neck or wrist (it is adjustable)when snorkeling. It can hold my id cards, money, etc. It is about the size of a cigarette box. A few places have lockers. If we are snorkeling from a boat, I just leave my towell and stuff on the boat. From a beach I ask someone (who looks like they will be there for awhile) if they can keep an eye on our towels. I've never had anyone say no - they've all been very nice and helpful. I don't bring my good camera. I bring my underwater disposable camera, just in case anything happens to it.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Depends a lot on where you are. Having said that, when snorkling I ususally carry a disposable waterproof camera, so no good camera to worry about.

There are two things I have done. Most cruiselines have a plastic thing, like a container that you can hang around your neck while swimming. Think they call it a waterproof wallet or something like that. You can put your license, sign and sail card, credit card and some money in it.

Now me, I have a nylon fanny pack. I take a ziplock, put everything in the ziplock that I don't want to get wet (good for cigarettes if you smoke) and put the ziplock in my nylon fanny pack and wear it. This was a habit I got into when I was a smoker and just continue to do even tho I don't smoke anymore.

As for towels and things, I just leave them on the beach chair and have never had a problem. Of course I don't leave them there for the entire day or anything like that.

Carnival Glory
Old May 2nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default Re: Re: Where do you put your...

What about when your on the ship...you want to go out on the deck and whatever...is leaving your purse and things in the room a good idea? I know your steward goes in your room...but what if I don't want anyone in there? I'm a little nervous about my things...don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and someone stole all my money or something like that...
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Admiral

There is always a safe in your room that only you can lock and unlock with your sail and sign card. Otherwise, I think your stuff is pretty safe in your room.

donna

Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Passenger

@ sports authourity you can purchase a waterproof wallet for $1.99 it's the folding type it closes like a heavy duty zip lock bag i bought 2 one for me and 1 for the wife tested it in my pool and works great big enuff for a bunch or credit cards on 1 side and cash and keys on the other
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Admiral

We went to the dolphin encounter at Freeport..when we left the ship, all I took was my photo ID and my sail and sign card(which you need to get back on the ship). What cash we had was put in our beach bag in a sock in a shoe..but there was no problem what so ever..no one had anything missing...one girl did loose her glasses but the man at the dolphin place went and got some scuba gear and went down and after about 10 mins came up with the glasses..he did'nt even charge her anything....I thought it was pretty nice of him..considering these day and times when everyone has their hand out...but everyone is in the same posistion you are in and they dont want anyone stealing from them either..I found that most of the people on the excursions were from the ship and they are, for the most part, honest.

BTW..all they had were shelves to put your stuff on...no lock ups.

Post Edited (05-02-04 17:11)
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
cruisinKandJ.

Also, you can usually leave stuff on the bus if you're on an excursion when the driver stays with the bus.

J.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Mark&Deb

We were kind of lucky on our trip. St.Maarten - a couple from our table came w/us & he had his arm in a cast - so he didn't get in the water when we snorkled. In St. Thomas - another couple from the ship - she wanted to sunbathe only - & then in Nassau - we were out on a boat & some guides stayed in the water w/everyone & some stayed on the boat w/the items.

Mark&Deb