Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Default Is Cruising Bad for Your Health?

With all these stories about trips to the hospitals and requests for prayers, I wonder if I have stumbled upon a statistically significant correlation between cruising and significant health problems. I love cruising but I love my health more. Does anyone know if there have been studies regarding the correlation? Are the posts here merely anecdotal and there is not, in fact, a correlation? I have gone through 46 years of my life never having attended a funeral nor spending much time visiting people in hospitals. I don't want to start now. Any feedback would be appreciated.

marc
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is Cruising Bad for Your Health?

On the contrary, I think cruising is GOOD for your health! What other type of vacation can you take where your only job is to have a good time, relax, do as little or as much as you want, and just be taken care of hand and foot??

I think you can stay home and be safe and healthy, or go out and enjoy the world!! Your call..I know what I and my family prefer to do!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Admiral

I know that I was totally relaxed while cruising...the stress kicked in when I had to get off of the ship..I quess that correlates..

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:17 PM
cruisinKandJ.

What happened to my husband who was hospitalized recently had nothing to do with cruising. He had a subdural hematoma resulting from a fall three months ago when he broke three ribs. But there is such a thing called the Norwalk Virus that makes cruisers really sick. I still think a cruise is a wonderful way to kick back, because it effectively removes you from al your sources of stress. We really look forward to our trip with Mermaid in Feb. 05.

J.
Old May 19th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Admiral

You got it wrong Marc - it's NOT cruising that's making us all sick! You see, if we could all cruise MORE OFTEN, we wouldn't get sick!

donna

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Admiral

Marc:
We have identified several syndromes and disorders unique to cruising.... fortunately none have been proven life-threatening to date.

Pre-Cruise Anticipation Anxiety
Post-Partum Cruise Withdrawal
No Forseeable Cruise Syndrome
Over-Cruising Syndrome (rare)
Cruise Fixation Social Disorder
Cruise Savings Hoarding Complex
Fellow-Cruiser Associative Disease
Post-Cruise Motion Sickness
Post-Cruise Domestic Re-Orientation Denial
Post-Cruise Finacial Disorder, and related Re-Booking Disorders
Departing Cruiser Envy, and Multiple-Cruiser Envy
Cruise Brochure Fixation Compulsive Disorder
Post-Cruise Rapid Weight-Loss Syndrome (perplexing...)
All-Inclusive Vacationer Contempt
Over-Packing Sickness

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I think the correlation is simply a result of the sheer number of people who post on this message board, and the number of friends and relatives they have. Major illness and/or death will occur to everyone at some point, it's just a matter of time. I think the only reason we have so many requests for prayer/hospital stories on this site is because people know about the overwhelming support they will receive if they post about it, and therefore you are more likely to see such posts than on other sites.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Admiral

How true Michelle. If you really new the people around you, you would probably realize things happening in their lives as well. It's just a matter of being open, as we are on this board. In my case it is foreboding to get close to the workers as an executive. It is just a reflection of the times.
Just realized how much I use the word "just"...Gosh, that is just annoying...I'll just have to try and cut back...Just a thought...

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:46 AM
venice

I think the AMA should recommend that cruises be part of a pro active program to ensure good health. Stress causes all types of medical problems and perhaps a study can be done using CM's as the test group, that measures your stress level leading up to the cruise and then take another reading right after you return from a cruise and report their findings

I bet the greatest finding is that cruising with a love one improves your relationship/marriage..Of course they also might find that cruising does not help your waist line (smile)
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:33 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Maybe its because by the time we have bought our homes, raised our kids, paid for college we have reached "that certain age" (generally over 50) when this stuff tends will happen more often. I am 57. In the last year my mother in law, husband, mother, close friend and 2 uncles passed qway. Except hubby & friend were over 85. My father in law and father are both over 80. Other friends in the 55-65 age bracket have heart disease, cancer, diabetes ect. More deaths, health problems are likly to ocur in the near future.