Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Default Computer/internet question.

Okay guys, I need your help. I've been having problems with my computer for weeks now. I attirbute it to "spyware", etc. I think, l've finally installed the right programs to battle it, but I still have one very nagging problem. Everytime I log onto the internet, my home page is changed to "about.blank". Even though I've gone into the "Control Panel" on the computer and designate my home page...it only works one time. Next time I go to the internet, I'm right back to the "about.blank". I've set my home page through Comcast's home page also...doesn't matter. Any suggestion?

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Computer/internet question.

Mary Lou, it sounds like you may still a virus of some type. My home page in my internet options also says "about blank" but my default home page is SBCYAHOO. There may be somewhere else on the computer to tell it which homepage to use. I'll defer to someone more knowledgable than me.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old June 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Yeah, Mary Lou, you have been invaded by a resident program that installs itself when you power up. It probably came into your machine by downloadind something.

Try running Norton or McAfee software to see if it will get rid of it, (I doubt it). More than likely you'll have to install some Spyware software to get rid of it and then the Spyware software will pop up all the time asking you to buy more Spyware features.

You might want to install something like ZoneAlarmPro or other firewall software.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM
First Mate

GET AN EXPERT QUICK! I had the same problem this could be the "sasser virus" i had to have my whole system purged & start over. It was very annoying.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:35 AM
First Mate

P.S. This also a hijacker;you will need software to prevent that as well.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Admiral

We had this on our other computer, MaryLou. ZoneAlarm fixed it right up.

The bads news was the homepage that always opened was for a singles dating site! I've been grilling my dh about what sites he's been visiting (it's on his laptop), but so far the hot lights and bamboo under the nails have revealed nothing. He's a tough customer....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old June 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Computer/internet question.

I have used AD-AWARE which is a free Spyware Program you can download directly from the Net. I first became aware of this in that my corporate IT department recommended it. It works fine and have never had one pop up or solicitation to buy their premium program. We use it daily to remove these intruders.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Recommend you also get Spybot - Search & Destroy ... freeware and no, they don't keep bugging you for donations, etc.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try calling Comcast Tech. and Support. See if they can walk you through. I had similar problems when I first got cable connection with Comcast
Good Luck

Monarch of the Seas Jan. 2005 Baja Calif.
NCL Dream Nov. 2005 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas Mar 2006 Baja Calif.
NCL Star Oct. 2006 Mexican Riviera
NCL Pearl Nov. 2007 Southern Caribbean
Mariner of the Seas May 2009 Pacific Coastal
Mariner of the Seas June 2009 Mexican Riviera
RCI Radiance of the Seas
Old June 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Hi ML
You have whats called a browser hijack. It takes you to whatever site (if any) it has programmed into your registry. AdAware by lavasoft is a good FREE program for getting rid of that. Just make sure you "check for updates" to get the lastest known problems. They are from popups most of the time. You get these by clicking "No Thanks" or X to close the popup window. Remember a web page/popup writer can make no thanks or x to close mean INSTALL MY LITTLE PROGRAM.
NEVER NEVER use the X or no thanks to close the popup. Instead hold the ALT key and press the F4 button. This kills the popup or any screen you have open. So be careful not to close your browser.
By the way this is not a virus and a firewall like Zone Alarm would not have prevented this. Also make sure you have (at least) all the critical updates from microsoft. That will stop stuff like the Sasser from attacking (Sasser is a worm not a virus so an anti-virus program will detect it and stop it but its the security holes in microsoft that would let it back in.
I never did hear if you upgraded windows milleium or did a fresh load of XP. An upgrade over an existing operating system doesnt work well especially if the old operating system has problems. The upgrade disk will do fresh load if you have the original cd the old operating sytem is on.
Say Hi to Gary for me and please feel free to e-mail me about any other problems you may have on your computer. I fix this problem all the time at work. Honestly adaware works great 95% of the time. The other 5% it has to be hacked out of the registry.

George