Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Dinner Expectations

Have you ever changed your table in the dining room due to a bad mix of diners? perhaps the age mix was off, or some nutty diners, young children, or maybe non a English speaking group, which would preclude you from joining in the converstaion? Did you feel funny about changing, or care less?

On the other hand, who have you had fabulous conversations with ? People from other countries/someone famous/ the captain?

Any dinner horror stories? Did some one talk too loud, swear, chew with their mouth full/ have children go banana's and parents so nothing/ Come to the table dressed for a clam shack? Share share share...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dinner Expectations

We had a wonderful table years ago on Costa Riviera. One May November couple, one on their 25th anniversary, one in their 20s celebrating their 5th anniversary and Arlene and I in our mid thirties. All the couples, except for the one celebrating their 25th anniversary, had cabins together as we had all taken advantage of a 2 for 1 deal and had wonderful cabins on Amalfi deck. The other couple was deep in the bowels of the ship in an inside cabin. This gentleman (used loosely) was a braggart. He got to be annoying at dinner, but wasn't too bad; just we all started feeling sorry for his wife. He kept saying how he got such a good deal and wanted to know how much we paid. None of us would say. Finally, on the penultimate night, he got on the nerves of the older gentleman at the table so much that he told him how much we all had paid. The guy was fit to be tied and stormed out of the dining room.

I must admit, except for a short three day cruise, we have always sailed wherein we can choose our own dinner companions or ask the Maitre D' to match us up as he wishes.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Cruisingbear

We always seem to dine with older passengers. We are in our 40's and most of our
dining mates are 50's, 60's,+. We love to talk with these people. We really have much
to learn from our elders, however, on one cruise before we were married, our dining
mates did not approve of a couple not married going on a cruise. This cruise that
we were on was going to be our honeymoon, but due to circumstances , that did
not happen. We decided to go ahead with the cruise. Once our dining mates found out
our predictament, they became much more friendly.
Happy Sailing..........
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Years ago on the Zenith we had a table for 8. We got lucky. It was a group of 30 plus.
It was a nice mix. One man was absouletly a riot. He had all of us laughing. It is the only cruise that I honestly looked forward to dinner.

Once we had a table for four. The other young couple was from Germany and didn't speak english. After the first night, we paid and ate at the private dining room by ourselves. One year we were at a table for eight and this old couple complained about everything and sent everything back. It was embarrasing.

Our other tables were okay. Nothing exciting. Sometimes it is very hard to land a group where everyone clicks. This year we decided that it was worth the price to eat in the private dining room, everynight. We will show up at our assigned table to meet our tablemates, but if we are not comfortable, we'll go to the private dining room..

We are not rude, snobby or arrogant, but we deal with the public 12 hours a day, five days a week. We just want to chill. The man who made us laugh was great. Most other people want to solve the world's problems or ask a million questions. We hear people solving the world's problems and asking a million questions everyday.

Sorry, you asked. I hope you and I wind up with great tablemates to enhance our cruise.

93 Seaward
94 Zenith
95 Cunard, Sagaford
98 Destiny
99 Zanndam
00 Regal Princess
00 Grand Princess
01 Millie
02 Grand Princess

Old June 29th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I guess I have been lucky - never wanted to change a table. On the Pride in 2002, 3 bookings including mine (who all met on this site) called our agents and told them we wanted to share a table. It worked. We had the best time. I have had tables from 4 to 8 people and they have been the best. I am sure my time is coming, and at that point I will make my decision. If I am miserable I will have no qualms about asking to be moved. If it is tolerable, I wll stay. Not everyone is like me, and I don't expect them to be - but you never know what you will learn from someone who you think is a little "off".

Jodi

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:25 PM
venice

always been lucky with tablemates..my favorite table mates occured on a Royal Olympic cruise (Stella Maris) when my female friend and I were in our late 20's and had table mates who were in their 80's. they were very nice, but quiet all week untill the last formal night when they extended an invitation to join them with a bottle of wine..we knew from the first night that they were retired school teachers living in south africa, but what they shared with us was that they were teenagers in germany during the rise of Hitler and he was jewish and she was catholic and they were in love and had to leave the country to get married. I'm a big history channel buff so of course I was fascinated about being a "mixed couple" during that time period. we then questioned them about aparthied in south africa (before the change) and at that time nelson mandela was still in prision (my friend and i are african american) and received a history lesson from a perspective i would not have been exposed to otherwise. the dining staff allowed us to stay until almost midnight and it was the greatest evening of sharing conversation i have ever had. i have been cruising since the mid 70's and every cruise exposes me to fascinating people
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:17 PM
AR

I always chew with my mouth full. I've discovered that it's counterproductive to chew when it's empty.

Is that why nobody wants to be at my table?
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Great tablemates for the most part. Susancruzs and I were at a large table last fall on the Carnival Glory, and there was one woman who was a constant embarassment, but we tolerated her and enjoyed our other table mates very much.

Jose and I have always asked for large tables, but we ended up at a table for 4 on our 16 day Panama Canal cruise, and we don't know if there was no one else assigned to our table, but no one ever showed up. I never would have thought that I would want a table for two on a cruise, but those 16 evenings together, just the two of us, were wonderful! Yes, I did miss the socializing with others a little, but the one on one time with Jose was great.

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM
VTJen

On our first cruise with husband and 2 teens we had a table for 4.

Second cruise with niece we were seated at a table for 8. First night, no show.
Second night, formal night. No show again, until we were served our dessert. Then "the family" showed up. Eight of them. They had picked up so new friends or something in the first two days. The "overbearing mother" of the family told our head waiter who immedietely came to the table (not to happy by the way as it was early seating and they would soon have to prep for the next guests that would be coming).
The "mother" demanded that they needed all 8 seats - not caring that my niece and I were still eating, and they were over an hour late. The head waiter told her that it was impossible, he said the original six could sit there and he would try and get them fed before he would need the table for the next seating, and the other two could sit at the next table as that was their origanal seating. The boss lady kept saying ,no that they wanted this table. My niece and I were thoroughly embarassed, especially since we were near the front ot the dining room and many heads were beginning to turn.
My niece and I looked at each other and got up to leave. We really liked our head waiter and hated to see this person belittling him. Anyway, the dinner was spoiled at this point and there was no way I could enjoy my tea and the last of my dessert.

As we were leaving our assistant waiters (and a couple from nearby tables, all of whom had felt sorry for us sitting alone at the table for 8 for two nights had all been very friendly, checking on us, visiting) approached us and asked why we were leaving, I said we were done. They said, no you were not. I said it is truly okay, we felt uncomfortable with the scene that was being created. They were very sad to see us being treated this way. The Maitre'd came over as well and said he wished we wouldn't teave. He tried to bend over backward to accomodate us.
The next night we were moved to the next table, where the two extra people who wanted our table were supposed to sit. The table mates were ok., but it was not pleasant sitting so close to the brassy people at the next table. The waiters from that whole area, the head waiter and the Maitre'D were all very attentive to us for the next two nights, making sure that we were well taken care of. Needless to say, I did a lot of tipping the last night in the dining room - as so many had tried to make an unpleasant situation bearable.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/204
Old June 30th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Two years ago, we were assigned a late seating but we requested the early seating. After talking to the Maitre'd, he put us at a table for the early seating and met up with the strangest tablemates. One "gentleman" regaled about his days in the Navy, remembering all the times the ship was going through 20' waves, with half the ship getting seasick, etc...All the way through dinner. Very appetizing!!

His wife was a nurse and she spent the rest of the "quiet " times telling about all of the mayhem at the emergency room where she works. If we would have sat with them throughout the entire cruise, it would have been the first where I would have lost weight.

Luckily, the next night, we were seated with a couple with two kids. We had a great time the rest of the way.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Admiral

We've never had tablemates who were intolerable, but had one couple who were Wisconsin dairy farmers who continuously bemoaned the dairy industry and how they were going under because they could no longer operate profitably. They were selling the cattle and equipment for what they could get and sectioning off the property as home sites. This went on every night and it got old, but we were never annoyed enough to leave.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Admiral

The only time we had table mates it was very interesting..I think their name was Trump..anyway we had nothing in common and he finally looked at me and said."Your fired". We changed tables after that night.. >JK< we had some very interesting people and was easy to converse with..lot of fun.

Old July 1st, 2004, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Our tablemates were pleasant enough (Mom, Dad, 2 small girls) but when the 3 year old kept sticking her finger in my dessert, I wasn' t too happy! Of course, it *was* a yummy dessert......

My son and I kept running into this family on board, so decided that if we changed tables it would be odd. We stayed where we were and enjoyed the good food and great service.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM
McCall

I no longer eat at tables with anyone else. Just my husband and myself. However when I did on a last minute cruise we took, Royal Carribean if I remember right, we were seated at a table for 10, it was quite a mix, One very wealth off couple, a mixed race couple where the girl friend was so drunk she could not sit up straight, a couple from Texas, ten gallan hat and all us and a couple I can't remember.
Anyway after dinner the first night, I saw the rich couple talking to the Matre 'd after which he approached US and asked us if we would prefer a table for two!

We said yes and were happy to see the back of them.