Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Default ladies only

This is a awkward post, but here goes.I went to my doctor today for my yearly pap and I was told I dont need it. My doctor said that women that have been in a monogamous relationship and have had five or more paps with no problem dont need to have one.He said research has shown cervical cancer to be a sexually transmitted virus.I have never heard this and I was wondering if any of you have heard of this.Im glad I dont need it but Im a little nervous about not having it done.He also said they dont tell women to do self breast exams anymore just have your yearly mamogram.He is a very good doctor, I know I should be happy but Im nervous.If you have any info pass it on please.
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: ladies only

Hi Luvcruz, All I can tell you is what my GYN tells me. I have had a hyterectomy and don't need a pap smear because no uterus, but every 1-2 yrs, an vaginal check. Also monthly breast exam is always done, my GYN, PCP and hospital where I get my mamograms give out a card to put in the shower to remind us to do it. I would keep doing it, peace of mind if nothing else.

Jeanne

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:49 PM
susus

Just went for my 'yearly' today, too....Dr. didn't turn me away....I've had everything removed and still have a pap and mamogram every year...It would be nice to not have to go every year, but I feel more comfortable having it done...Susan
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM
SharB

I also have "everything" removed. My doctor told me that an annual pap and breast exam is a necessity at a certain age and I suffer through it. Cervical cancer is a serious concern and spreads quickly and I've had too many friends that are dealing with (or lost their lives) to breast cancer. Your call.
Old August 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM
cruisinKandJ.

I have not had anything removed. But I also have not had a pap smear done in a while. Next time, I see my doctor (November), I'll ask about it.

I've never heard that women in monogamous relationships get excused from pap smear tests. I've always heard that you're supposed to do self breast exams, although I never do it.. My neighbor found a tumor that way.

I say if you're uncomfortable ignoring these tests, by all means, go to someone who will administer them. Tell that doctor what you were told.

J.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have mine done every year, Just did this month. Mine wasn't so great . I am having surgery on Tuesday. They did say the pap showed no sighn of cancer though. Make sure you have your exam every year, you never know what can happen.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: ladies only

My doctor told me the same thing yours did.I trust him and don't worry about it.
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I never heard of this either, and I have always been in a monogamous relationship. Had a pap test last year, and they found something suspicious. Further testing revealed no problem, but it could have been serious. I won't take chances. Do the test.

donna

Old August 20th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

From the ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology) and found on the website of the American Medical Association:

http://www.medem.com/search/article_..._typ=NAV_SERCH

Sorry - I tried and can't make it a clickable link but I have cut and copy the following paragraph from the web page:

How Often Do You Need a Pap Test?
All women should have a pelvic exam yearly. When a woman has a pelvic exam with a speculum, a Pap test may or may not be done. Be sure you know if a Pap test has been included in your exam.

Talk with your doctor about whether and how often you should have a Pap test. Women younger than 30 years should have a Pap test every year. If you are older than 30 years and have had three normal Pap tests in a row, you may not need a Pap test every year.

Post Edited (08-20-04 00:30)
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

And yes, I have read a few artiicles in my nursing journals that point to studies that indicate that HPV (a virus transmitted by sexual intercourse) does INCREASE the risk of cervical cancer.....not to say that cervical cancer does not occur without it, but the risk is greatly increased when a woman is exposed to HPV. And odds are if you are in a monogamous realtionship, you will not contract HPV.

Old August 20th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Admiral

You are absolutely supposed to continue self breast exams and I'm truly surprised a reliable physician would say otherwise. Taking 30 seconds out of your day to possibly seems a small thing, to me.

I would also err on the side of caution and continue the paps.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM
joto

Would not want to miss out on the yearly pap exam if for just peace of mind. Although they can even give false negatives occaisionally. Waiting for a mamogram appointment at the moment. If I had anything, I would want it noticed and treated as soon as possible.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Just went to my doctor a few weeks ago. I have had everything out so don't need a pap every year--but they still said i should get one every 4-5 years or so. She said I also need to do self-exam every month (or when i think about it--not that good at remembering to do it--but i do do it--sporatically) and to have yearly mammograms.
An interesting thing about the last pap i had--it can show yeast--before you even have any symptoms--a couple of years ago i had a pap and it came back showing i had a lot of yeast. I think any health precautions and preventions you can take--the better.