Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Not really MIA

I haven't been on much this week, by no fault of my own.

At work, we found out that IT wasn't backing up one of the network servers. We found this out because the asset program I use is the only application on that server and it crashed one day. I called IT to restore me back to the back-up run the night before - yeah, right. We lost a lot of information and I have spent all this week about 15 - 18 hrs a day trying to get it restored. Needless to say, the Controller, CFO, and CEO were not happy about the failure that occured in IT - in fact, it was discovered that next week they were going to disconnect that server because they assumed it wasn't used. Heads rolled. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting. The program that I use on that server contains information on about $300,000,000 (yes, three hundred million) in assets that we have at about 50 resorts. I lost only a portion of the information, but it took a lot of time to restore it. My faith in IT (whose attitude is still "so what") is lost. I now backup everything on my pc onto disk everyday. Which takes time away from what I should be doing. At least now IT is looking into the breakdown of communication, why the server wasn't backed up, and what is going to be done about it.

I guess it was my fault in making a logical assumption that all network servers would be backed up daily.

This is not the first issue we have had with IT failing to maintain a working environment and I hope that this incident puts a fire under them to do what they are paid to do.

Anyway, I am back for now (quarter end work begins next week) and hopefully won't have another week like this past one.

Jodi

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Not really MIA

What's the address to these bums..I want to file a complaint..taking your CM time away and making us wonder what happend to you..>G< Glad you ckd in jodi..been missing you around here. Keep your head up and get some rest, in which case lay your head down.>BG>