Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Passenger

Default embera Indians

I am taking a princess cruise in Nov. We signed up for a side excursion to see the Embera Indians in Panama. Has anyone done this? I want to know just how big a hill and how steep is the hill you must climb to get up to the village. I am concerned since this could be a problem for me. Anyone else going on this cruise? departs on Nov. 10, Fort Lauderdale
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Goincrackers

Default Re: embera Indians

Hi Jamc! We're on the same cruise with you, but we booked the Ocean to Ocean excursion in the Panama Canal. It was the whole reason we booked with Princess - they are the only ones offering it. Everything I've read about this excursion has been so positive, and seemed the most complete way to traverse the entire canal without taking a longer, more expensive cruise. Sorry I don't have any info on the excursion you are looking into.

We're from No. Texas - have had this cruise booked since January, so we are VERY excited about it happening now just three weeks away!
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: embera Indians

We have been there and the hill is not that steep at all. The experiance is well worth any exertion you may do. These are very interesting people and they are not the kind that 'play' indian for the tourists and get dressed and jump in their car after you leave. These people are just what you see.
Jim

Old October 18th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: embera Indians

Thanks for the reassurance. I am 73 with a knee replacement so I was concerned. I can't wait to meet some of their basketmakers since I have one of theirs and I also am a basketmaker.
Old October 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Passenger

We are excited to see some new sights. We will be taking the aerial tram in Costa Rica and a ruins trip in Belize. Sorry to hear that Grand Cayman will be skipped due to hurrican. It is our favorite island. We also booked in Jan. We had hoped to get an upgrade from balcony room. Didn't happen since ship is full. Just happy to have a balcony.
Happy trip to you.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Passenger

I sometimes take small gifts along on excursions to give to people I encounter. I am not sure whether this would be OK on this trip to the Embera tribe. I had in mind small bags with some pretty beads. I am a jewelry maker) I also wondered about something like a small pad of paper and a few colored markers. Perhaps this wouldn't be appreciated since they may not like things in their community that dilute their life style in any way. Are there many children in this group? Do you have any thoughts about whether small gifts would be appropriate or not. Thanks for any advice you might have.
jamc