Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Admiral

Default Ashlee Simpson on SNL

Did anyone see Ashlee Simpson on Saturday Night Live? I only saw the clip on the news. Looks like the cast will have skit ready for next weeks show. It's pretty sad that a performer can't really do anything but lip-sync. It reminds me of the days of American Bandstand and their "live" appearances.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ashlee Simpson on SNL

I saw that same clip on the news. Ridiculous isn't it? And so un-professional.
I have not watched SNL since it was a GOOD show in the 70's with Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, Garrett Morris and the wonderful Gilda Radner! Oh, and don't forget OH NOOOOO! It's Mr. BIlllllll!!

donna

Old October 26th, 2004, 07:27 AM
VTJen

I only saw the clip, about 20 times yesterday. She was just on the Today Show - her reason for using the backup tapes was that she had acid reflux and that her father and doctor made her as she might ruin her voice. She says her drummer pushed the wrong button, but she loves him to death and wouldn't dream of firing him.

Maybe she should have said all that on Sat - instead of waiting 'til today. I guess if you have a few days you can come up with a statement.

I'm not a big Simpson girl fan, so in the big scheme of things I don't care a whole lot.
But on a smaller scale - can't anyone perform live anymore? And if your gonna ruin your voice - bow out gracefully. If people want to hear a recording they can put on a cd.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old October 26th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I saw it and commented to my wife: "At least you know the show is live even if the music isn't."

Lip syncing a song on SNL isn't that bad. Doing an ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) and lip syncing a concert is another story. Or doing a Millie Vanille (sp) and lip syncing to someone else's voice is just plain criminal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Passenger

That's why I don't bother paying $100 to see a "live" concert anymore because you really don't know what you're getting for your money. Makes you wonder whether these people can really sing outside the high tech studios. I bet Elvis and Neil Diamond never lip synced! Oh, I'm feeling my age!!!! Do you think 30 years from now people will remember who Ashlee and Jessica Simpson, or Britney, were?
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:14 AM
AR

Probably the best thing that ever happened to her. She's obviously not a good singer, tracks or no tracks, but at least now people know who she is.

Until this nonsense hit, I thought she was Homer's other daughter.
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM
First Mate

I don't understand new music anyway. I haven't understood SNL since the 70's.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Who the hell is Ashlee Simpson anyway? Man, I must have missed something.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Most major performers now use recorded vocals, and sing along to their own voice, sometimes adding commentary to make it seem live (Hello "insert city name here"!!!).

Britney Spears is an obvious example... she sings along to her own recorded voice (that way it sounds like reverb has been added). WHY? Because her shows are so dance-intensive, she (a) gets out of breath (b) can focus on her choreography. If she loses her breath momentarily, the recording picks up the slack.

Nowadays, everything from the music to the lighting to the pyrotechnics & motorized platforms are pre-programmed, so there is no room for any kind of ad lib.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:43 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Ashlee Simpson on SNL

That's a pretty broad statement, and not accurate. Most big production shows use augmentation tracks, and the band often plays to a click, but the lead vocal is usually live--especially when it's a star. That's not to say that their audio isn't processed to death before you hear it (with reverb, echo, and sometimes crazy equalization tricks and digital delays). Live lead vocals are even the norm on cruise ships, where there aren't many real stars in sight.

Real stars can't afford to lip-sync regularly, because there's too much room for error, and too much at stake. Plus most of them who rise to the level of true stardom have a measure of pride, even in this day and age. If it's a dance issue that threatens to leave them short of breath, either they get in better shape or the choreography is revised.

I haven't seen it, but I'm told that even Celine Dion's Vegas extravaganza is sung live, even though it's extraordinarily highly produced. I have heard some of the backing tracks from that show, and the "orchestra" is maddeningly synthesized.
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Has anyone heard Cyndi Lauper sing?? As unusual as she looks, she has one beaUtiful voice!! She sang sans any instruments or backups one night on Jay Leno, and I've been a fan since then!

A true talent...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Passenger

AR, I have been to Celine's concert and it was definitely live and definitely the most incredible concert I have ever been to. I was astounded that anyone could have a voice so crisp, clear, and absolutely beautiful. No one compares. On the other hand, I recently saw Bette Midler and was very disappointed. Most of the time I could not hear her over her band & back up singers. Of course, Celine is in a permanent theatre and so I am sure the sound is very controlled. Bette, on the other hand, was on tour and so she was at the mercy of the arena she appeared in for that one night. But for two strong singers, there was just no real comparison (Celine BIG 10, Bette small 2).
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:20 AM
duane

Funny you mentioned ELO. I got burned in the 70's by one of their "live shows" and it really pi@#$& me off to pay for a live show and get a recording. Next time just buy the cd and look at the cover. Shame on her. If she can't sing live, get another job!