Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Airport Security Check

On the news this week, there was a woman on tv complaining about how she was patted down for security purposes at the airport. She felt it was an intrusion, and she felt molested... I recently flew, and both ways I was checked by a woman security agent, who used the side of her hands to check the chest area, which I guess is the new guideline on how to do this..I accepted that this had to be done. In this day and age, unfortunatley we have to be extra cautious. Why does every new ruling have to be met by moaners and groaners protesting. I am not naive enough to think, that somewhere, someone ,is not taking advantage of this situation, but make the proper complaint, to the proper personnel..Have you ever had an instance where you felt compromised?

Post Edited (11-23-04 19:01)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Airport Security Check

Everyone agrees they want to be secure, but no one wants to be the one searched or otherwise inconvenienced. It's the way of the world.
I frankly look at these things as folks doing their job and actually thank them for doing it as I pass through security. If you don't like it, I say, drive.

On another note, I would like to nominate the previous post as the longest run on sentence ever written without any punctuation or use of capital letters in the history of cruisemates.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Big Craig

Searched Huh?
Last time I flew domestic TSA( which means-Thousands Standing Around) they made me take off my belt my shoes my watch and un-button my shirt, and I am a current airline employee.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:
There have actually been real cases where TSA employees have stepped over the line and groped female passengers. There was an "Investigative Report" on one of our local channels about this happening at the MSP airport and the video clips were pretty bad. It was more than a normal pat down.

There will always be people who will object to ANYONE touching them in anyplace other than their hand. Do you know how many women and men put off physicals, even when they know there is a problem because of this? Imagine their outrage when they are forced to have someone touch them. My answer to this is don't fly if you can't stand this. I also feel the TSA needs to be better trained to recognize these issues and how to deal with them without compromising security.

I don't mind being patted down but when I hear the snap of the rubber glove and the words "cavity search", then I start to sweat. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Papa Bill, you beat me to it! !

donna

Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Cruizin K and J

Default Re: Re: Airport Security Check

So far, haven't been embarrassed or humiliated by TSA people. I saw in the paper today, that the time is soon coming where we will be asked to undress. This is too much, guys. It already seems like it takes way too long to go through security.

Judy
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

FYI:
I made a couple of changes to keep this thread on topic. A couple of posts did get deleted in the process. Sorry about that.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
Lynne &Trevor

The biggest terrorist legacy left to us so far is to have us Americans be patted down and be the subject of advanced security checks. I haven't flown since 1998-granted, before 9/11. However,this is supposed to be a free, democratic country, where we are able to travel at will. Other countries have checkpoints and back rooms. I agree with the general security procedures, but when it comes to undressing, that's an insult!! Again, I know, the Security People don't know if we are Americans or Terrorists, but the Terrorists must be laughing at all this additional indignation we are going through for the sake of freedom, including the freedom from another attack.They have more than one plan for such attacks using vehicles other than airplanes, I would guess.
As a former Canadian,I think some of this is going overboard.(to use a cruise expression).
My brother flew home from my mother's last week and was the one singled out for the "special" search--shoes off, etc. He hadn't flown in many years, and was the least of the worries of the security people. He's one of the "good" guys.
I know the security checks must be done, but they should be done in a manner where the dignity of the traveller is kept intact. Lynne

Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:49 PM
First Mate

The one part of cruising I really hate is the airport check in and flying anymore. I remember when flying use to be fun and they use to feed you real food. Anyway, back to the subject. I fly one or two times a year and the security at our airport where I live is the absolute worse of anywhere I've been. We only have one security line and the people are not trained very well and a lot of people miss their flights because of this. Every single time I fly from home, I'm picked out for the extensive all over, you're getting the works type search. I can't believe that a grandma from Iowa is looking that suspicious to tell you the truth but I'm singled out every time I fly. Just recently they let a person on a plane who was a known terrorist (flying from Paris) and on their watch list ,with an expired passport and no one caught it until they were in the air and then they landed the plane at an unscheduled airport. It seems the ones they should be paying attention to, just slide on by and the most law abiding people they seem to single out. I know this is a sign of the times, but I feel I'm being singled out, and my husband even gets to go by, but not me....I love cruising, but I hate airport and I hate flying anymore.
Leaving in 10 days for the Caribbean Princess, but I'm dreading the first day of travel.
I wish I didn't live in the midwest so I could drive to the ship.
Happy cruising.....Anita
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:01 PM
AR

I think Trip has it wrong to begin with.

Frequent flyers will tell you that it's not so much security measures they object to, it's the inconsistency. It's never the same way twice, different airports operate differently, the same airport operates differently on different days. TSA (Thousands Standing Around) was supposed to be the solution to both quality and consistency issues, but I'm not convinced they have been the solution to either.

My favorite TSA story is the one where they stopped a female pilot, in uniform, with proper ID, on her way to work, and took her into the strip search room. She got really torqued, and asked them what the hell they were doing, given that she was clearly an airline employee. The answer was a classic:

"Well, we have to be sure you don't have anything with you that you could use to get into the cockpit."

Reaching for her security lanyard and producing a small metal object hanging from it, she replied, "Well I ordinarily use this key!!"

Then, beyond the consistency and common sense issues, there is ultimately the issue of privacy rights versus the public good. Where that line should be drawn may be discussed reasonably by reasonable people, some of whom think that things are perilously close to the edge at this point. You cannot endlessly abrogate the freedoms of a free people, even for a professed "public" purpose. As I say, drawing the line is a tricky business.

But Trip implies that we have to accept whatever measures are put in place in the interest of being extra cautious in this day and age. However, the reasonable questions then become, "Is there no limit?" and "When will this day and age end?"
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

On the serious side, I do agree that there is a line that we are very close to crossing in regard to personal rights versus public safety. I for one am not willing to give up my rights, especially those granted to me by the Constitution on the pretext that it will "make me safe."

There are some things far worse than not being safe. Too many people have died to give and protect those rights for me to give them away out of fear and a false sense of security.

Take care,
Mike

Old November 24th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Returning from Miami a couple of weeks ago, I was selected for the all inclusive search....shoes off, pat down (by a female employee who explained everything she was doing and how she was going to do it - and I did not feel invaded or violated. I could have gone to a private area to have it done. My carryons were in my view at all times, and the whole TSA staff there were professional. In fact, I went in with the attitude that it was my turn and guess what....I booked the ticket late and figured I might pop, especially since I flew down on a different airline.

It is getting close to a line that I will not cross though.........strip search me, forget about it!!!

Old November 24th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Lynne &Trevor

After all this discussion so far, have you seen the story on the news about a grandmother being taken into custody for carrying a concealed weapon with her to the airport. She was caught at security with a gun in a hollowed out book, looked like an old, historic gun, that supposedly belonged to her husband.She apparently stated that she "forgot" she had it with her, after initially saying that she didn't know she had it with her. I guess that's the reason for the security checks on the least terrorist looking, ordinary looking people.
That news story doesn't bode well for our security discussion here. As long as those things happen and are reported, the "extreme" checks will get more vigorous. No end in sight, I think. Just let them stay at the airport and not our other sources of vacation embarkations! Lynne

Old November 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
VTJen

There was something on this on the Today show this morning. The said that for the sensitive areas they are supposed to use the back of the hand to do the pat down.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004
Old November 24th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Admiral

Ar, we always seem to be at opposite ends of threads, it sure would be interesting for us to be tablemates on a cruise....Thats why Heinz makes 57..

Old November 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
AR

Trip--

Fine by me, but not the Carib--we've sworn off. This year's beat the freeze cruise will be the Mex Riv from LA, with a stop in San Antonio on the way out to visit some friends, and maybe Vegas on the way back. Also will get to LA early because we want to spend some time at the Getty.

Would love to argue over some good shipboard dinners.
Old November 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Lynne &Trevor

I saw that segment on the TV show, too.I also saw an interview with Patti Lapone, the singer, on the NBC Nightly news tonight.She was the one patted down.Lynne

Old November 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Ar, one day it just may work out, I hope your cruise is a good one too I saw Patty Lupone tonight too, and you can bet your bottom dollar, if they asked me to take my shirt off, I would be outraged, as she was. Like Patty, I was in Lauderdale, on my return, and while they security woman thorough, I could not say at all, I was humiliated.

Old November 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM
AR

Granny's gun would have been caught by any properly calibrated x-ray machine or metal detector that's been in use for years and years. It would almost certainly have been caught even pre-9/11. It has absolutely nothing to do with--and is certainly no justification for--the increasing level of onerous searches.