Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:51 AM
anonymous

Default article about bringing own liqour

Did anyone read this article? While I don't condone this sort of thing, I think that a major point was missed. People tend to drink alot more on a cruise than they do at any other type of vacation. There is something about a cruise that just makes you want to have a good time and that tends to mean that you are more likely to drink. The atmosphere onboard a ship ( at least for me) is very happy and carefree. So when you are being charged $4 for a can of beer it will add up, more so than on a land vacation.Not to mention buying rounds for all the friends you've made onboard. Let's put it this way, I've done seven cruises, and various land vacations, and I never had a $750 bar tab when I wasn't on a ship. Bottomline: You can't compare a cruise to a land based vacation, it's like comparing beer to pina coladas.
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: article about bringing own liqour

Did anyone read this article? To what article are you referring? There may be some mindreaders who peruse these boards, but I'm not one and I don't have any idea which article you mean. A little clarity would be appreciated, and you just might get a few responses.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

So, the arguement is... because you want to drink more, you don't want to have to pay the going rate?

Interestingly, I was in Cozumel and Ocho Rios two weeks ago on a cruise. Many passengers had no qualms about going to Carlos & Charlies, Senior Frogs, Fat Tuesdays, and Margaritaville and paying $6.50 and up for drinks all day.

Frankly, if passengers had simply consumed their duty free liquor in their cabins, and not in the ship's public areas, I believe today the ships would still be selling bottles to guests on the ship at the cheap prices, and no "smuggling" would be necessary.

If anyone is interested in reading the article, you can find it here>>>
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...oardLiquor.cfm

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Kuki, very nice article. I have never understood all the discussion by cruisers in regard to smuggling liquor on board.

If drinks are too expensive, save the cost and all the calories. If not, enjoy the cruise specials everyday!.
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:22 AM
anonymous

Sorry, to get everyone up in arms. I think it was missed that I do agree with Kuki. I never understood people who went on a cruise and then went to there room to wack down a six-pack. I'd rather be out and having fun. I never have a problem with buying my own drinks, I feel that this is something I do once a year so I'm going to have fun and not hold back. And I love being able to go to a bar at 3 pm in the middle of the ocean and have a drink, when I should be at work. But I do understand why some people would try and keep their cost down. Oh an Kimmy, chill out dude you need a cruise !
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Admiral

that's a great article and i totally agree with you. I have never understood why people would go to all that trouble and bother of "smuggling" liquor on board. If i want to enjoy a cocktail in my stateroom all i need to do is pick up the phone.
I think that alot of the "smuggling" has to do with "shell shock" upon receiving your bar bill. Most people when they go out to dinner or for the evening only order a couple of drinks, no big deal, but take that times 7 days and nights and the bottom line is a shocker to a lot of folks, even though the prices on the ship are comparable to what you would pay at home, and with drink specials they can even be cheaper.
All you need to do is look at your bar receipt every time you order a drink, you know how much it costs. But i would guess that most folks don't bother to look at that.
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Admiral

Jack,
Just go to the home page and look for the article that Kuki wrote. I forget to check that a lot of times myself. Keep watch also for Kuki's article about the butler. It may be there as early as Monday.

Phyll

Old December 9th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Admiral

anonomous, if you're in a ship bar at 3pm having a drink when you should be at work, do you think that you'd have a job when you got back? {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old December 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I thought this was an excellent article, Kuki, and I don't see how any reasonable person could disagree with any of the points you made or conclusions you came to; however, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of "justification" pieces in rebuttal.
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:57 AM
anonymous

What I meant Mark when I said should be at work, I was referring to using vacation time legitimately. 'I've always felt like a kid when I use V-time, i.e. this isn't right I'm not working and I am getting paid to do this. kinda cool
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Cruisingrandma

Just me but I think way to much thought going into drinking alcohol... i go and have a great time I have as many drinks as i wish. i don't get drunk by any means. I figure I pay for this vacation and I want to remember it all. Don't want to wake up the next morning with a hang over and ruin a day. I have enough trouble figuring out what clothes to pack. could never worry about what booz e to pack and how to do it. Jsut me like i said.
Old December 10th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Janice B

If the cruise ships had not stopped letting you bring alcohol onboard and/or selling duty free liquor for consumption onboard we would not be having this conversation. My feeling is that they should allow you to purchase a bottle from the duty free store for consumption in your room, especially now that a large number of cabins have balconies. I don't mind ordering from room service, but how long will I have to wait. My DH only drinks beer. We have never "smuggled" beer onboard, even when it was allowed. It wasn't a "cold" beer. I enjoy the daily specials and the atmosphere on the ship. I don't want to be stuck in my cabin drinking alone, but I should have the option to do so. My vote would be to allow the ship to sell alcohol in the duty free shop for consumption in your cabin. My DH would vote for cold cases of beer.
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Right on Janice!!