Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Yeoman

Default Cruising under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Ok, here's one for all of you cruisers who have sailed out of Tampa. What's it like ro sail under the skyway bridge? Have crossed the bridge while ship is ging out and that is cool. Staties keep traffic moving but its neat to see. Am wondering what its like from below. Love to hear as we have 2 balcony rear cabins and am going out on the Legend in Nov. Am wondering how much we clear the bridge by?
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Trudle

Default Re: Cruising under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge

Its a beautiful sight, we went under it after dark. Don't know how close the ship is to the bridge, we were a dinner when we went under it.
Have a great cruise
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi,
We live in the Tampa bay area and have salied under the Skyway serveral times.
The feeling is weird, but exciting too. It looks like the bottom of the bridge is only inches away, but they say it is about 6 feet. Many of the larger ships can not sail under or thru the channel as it is too shallow at low tide.
I don't know if you remember, but a Carnival ship got stuck on a sand bar near the bridge that was just a couple of years ago.
In 1980, during a storm a freighter hit the old span of the bridge and caused it to collapse sending a bus and several cars in to the water. Now there is a newer and higher bridge with several dolphin bumpers around the supports.
It was completed in 1987, is 29,040 feet long and the center span is 1200 feet.
Type in Sunshine Skyway Bridge in your browser to learn more.
Have a great cruise.
Carole
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Admiral

It is AWESOME......be sure to be on the top deck.

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:15 PM
an

Our ship was late getting into the Tampa port , so we did not leave the dock until around midnight. I had told everyone that "after dinner" I wanted to be on the balcony with a glass of champange as we go under the bridge.
Well, needless to say, it was 3AM when we finally "just missed" the bridge, but it was an awsome site. I WAS on the balcony, with champange and Lorna Dunes. What a combination!!! It is a very close fit getting under it. I could see the cement roughness....I really thought we were going to plow into it. I'm sure being on the top deck would be great, too...if it weren't at 3 AM.
Alice in FL