Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
Admiral

Default Jimmy's Margaritaville

Today I had a lousy day, involving a snowstorm, bad driving, packing up my mom's house which had no heat due to a broken furnace, service calls, etc. I was heading home in the snow, exhausted and in a truly lousy mood. Then on the radio came Jimmy, singing Margaritaville, and instantly transported me from the snow, back to the pool deck of a cruise ship in the Caribbean. Ahhh, is that a great song or what?

donna (who's looking forward to listening to Jimmy on the next cruise!)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
VTJen

Default Re: Jimmy's Margaritaville

I know what you mean. Every once and a while one of his songs comes over the radio and it makes the dreary winter seem just a little more tolerable, because instead of snow my mind sees the sand and waves and palm trees.

VTJen
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

YES,YES< Jimmy is my favorite all time get in the mood for a cruise!!
How about " Changes in Lattitudes, Boat drinks,Cheesberger in Paradise, just to name a few.
by the way he ownes the St. Barts Hotel. His Don't Stop the Carnival was on broadway
in 1999.
I'm a BIG fan of his music.
Sorry you had a bad day, but just dream of your next cruise and listen to J.B
Carole
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:46 AM
First Mate

I had the "pleasure" of sitting in the "lawn section" 2 wks ago at his Columbia SC concert. This was a first for us (the tickets were free) If you've never sat in the lawn section at Buffett concert it is an UNUSUAL experience.
BTW if you really enjoy "Margaritaville" you'll love Blake Shelton's "Some Beach"
Listen for it on a country station on your dial.

"If we weren't all crazy we'd go insane"
Old March 2nd, 2005, 06:58 AM
Lynne and Trevor

I would love to see Jimmy Buffett in concert! Several years ago my former son-in-law tried to win some tickets given away by a radio station but could never get in. I agree that Margaritaville can certainly change the mood. Another one is Kokomo, by the Beach Boys. We can certainly relate to it since we've been down to the Keys a few times, and to Jamaica, Key Largo...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
My younger son's philosopy of life is "Changes in Attitudes------Lattitudes..."
It's equally nice to hear, since we live in Highlands Co. and "highlands" is mentioned in the song!! Lynne
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Love Jimmy!! I have been trying every year to score tickets to see him when he comes to Massachusetts. I can never get through to Ticketmaster in time, always sells out in 20 minutes. I have even tried the ticket auctions but the prices get way out of my range. Soooo on a cold winter day when I am cruise dreaming I put on some Jimmy cd's and close my eyes. Looking forward to the "Glory B" cruise just so I can take Patty to Margaritaville and have a Cheeseburger in paradise!!

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
susancruzs

Love that Jimmy Buffett, too! Margaritaville is one of my all time favorite songs! I just saw an hour show that Steve Stone CBS 60 minutes did and it was awesome!

They showed clips of him with Alan Jackson, winning at the Grammy's, the whole "re-birth of Buffett"! I think the Travel Channel ran it and the way they repeat stuff it is bound to run again!

Susie
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
Admiral

I agree, that's a great song. I love all that music that seems to magically transport you to another place and let you leave your troubles behind.

I wish my hubby liked Jimmy Buffet but he has a personal grudge against him. When he was a kid, the school booked Jimmy to speak and perform at his elementary school. (I guess his career was a lot younger then and he did those kinds of gigs.) Well, the day came, the kids went to assembly, and no Jimmy. He never showed and never sent an explanation. Well, I wasn't there so I still like his music.

Another couple of songs that do that for me are Bertie Higgins' "Key Largo" and UB40's "Red Red Wine."

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (03-02-05 08:41)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

RD all Jimmy's music just put me in a good mood. I have been to several of his concerts,,,if you ever have the chance it's fantastic. Actually the party in the parking lot b/4 and after is quite spectacular as well. Lots of fun.
Susie that special on Buffett is on CMT,,,they showed it last night again. Very interesting.
Guess you could call me a "Parrothead" <vbg>

Post Edited (03-02-05 16:35)

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
BoosterMom

Love Jimmy Buffett and his books too! My husband wants to fly some of Jimmy's planes too! We went to Margaritaville in Orlando and in Key West. Got a t-shirt......on one side is a big salt shaker.......the other side says, "My Lost Shaker of Salt". Makes me want a Margarita in Chankanaab everytime I see it!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Did you know that "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was written in that St. Barts hotel he owns? While he was eating a cheeseburger.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:25 PM
Admiral

If you haven't read any of Jimmy's books, do so. He's actually a pretty good writer. Just finished "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" about his travels around the Caribbean for his 50th birthday celebration. Lots of stuff about his planes and a fun read.

We took my now 28 year old stepson to a Buffet concert as his "first" concert when he was 14. Don't know what we were thinking - about every 3rd parrothead in the place (it was an outdoor amphitheatre) were smoking pot AND passing it to us!

My stepson's eyes were as big as saucers!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Wow, LOTS of Parrotheads out there! Yes, I have read all Jimmy's books, and enjoyed them too. I have yet to get to Margaritaville, but it's on my "to do" list! And I would LOVE to see a concert, but the boy just doesn't travel North!

donna

Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Donna: You're gonna love this! We were at Margaritaville in Montego Bay one week ago today and my friend Laura was in the gift shop. She was there about 10 minutes and came out and had this stunned look on her face. She said, "I blew out my flip flop!" And she had! She stood there with her sandal hanging! So, we took pictures and she's going to frame the flip flop with the pictures and the postcard from Margaritaville!

Tonight I was in the grocery store to replenish the cupboards after my house/cat sitter (a 22 year old guy) cleaned out everything in the house and, here in freezing Michigan, came "Margaritaville" on the Muzak!

You're right - Jimmy has magical powers!
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
Yeoman

Ahhhhh...The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with nooooo bottommmm...no shoes...no shirt...no problem! That will be me in about 52 days!! We will see ya there Rollerdonna!!

Lesley

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Beginner

Jimmy B., James Taylor, The Bee-Gee's, Abba, Lynyrd Skynard, 38 Special, Barry Manilow and all of thier friends will be joining me in 16 days on the Elation! We will all be hanging out by the pool with champagne cocktails if anyone wants to join us. I'll be in the red bikinini and they will all be hanging out "in the ipod!"

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to windycitykitty

If your ever in Montego bay check out Buffets Margaritaville bar there, it has a water slide off the roof into the ocean, great place, good jerk chicken and drinks!
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

The last time we were at Margaritaville in orlando (2 weeks ago) the margarita volcano over the bar erupted. It was pretty cool. My husband then told me that Jimmy doesn't even like margaritas. I was surprised.
haley