Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default computer question

i think i clicked a bad link yesterday and now i'm getting TONS and TONS of pop-ups, and my computer is a bit slower. i used norton to scan for viruses, and it found many infected files!! does anyone know how to permanately get these off of your computer or to atleast make all the pop-ups go away? :-/
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
booboo4031

Default Re: computer question

Did you run your virus scan more than once after it cleaned your machine??

Also download ad-aware and run that. It's a freeware that cleans out ad/spyware software.

I also run the google toolbar that has popup blocker and it picks up most of them. I very rarely get a pop up. That's downloaded from the google website. The only thing if you download this... watch when you're downloading there's an 'opt out' check box to opt out of tracking. You may want to check this off that way no info is sent back to google as to what sites you visit.

Old March 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
salem5050

Best thing you can do is get rid of internet explored.
Install Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Internet explorer loads tons of spyware on computer that you are not aware of.
Its amazing, and no popups , no spyware on Moxilla Firefox.

Mary Margaret
Old March 10th, 2005, 12:30 PM
salem5050

I meant to say get rid of Internet EXPLORER. uGH I type too fast and do not check things.

Mary Margaret
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

yes, i did run norton to scan for viruses.. 3 times!.. it found 50-60 infected files, and deleted about 20. i'm going to try some of the suggestions from everyone to get rid of it, hopefully it works! if not, i guess i'll take it in to be looked at tomorrow before i go back to school on sunday.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:58 PM
salem5050

Everytime you log on to web sites, you infect your computer with spyware. It eventually slows up your computer.
Mozilla Firefox is the answer!
Mary Margaret
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Admiral

I am using Spybot and AdAware, but still can't clean my PC of everything. If I reboot, all the nasty stuff somehow reloads, and I have to clean it out all over again. Norton only seemed to pick up on the viruses (not a bad thing mind you) but is less effective against the spyware & pop-ups. Using those two programs, I am able to keep my system reasonably clean.

I have a particularly annoying little bugger called TIBS on my system, it's a dialer that every so often tries to dial out on its own. Spybot picks it up, but doesn't kill it completely dead. I spot it in the Task Manager after each reboot.

HINT : Every so often, right click on your (bottom) property bar, and bring up the windows task manager, in order to see any odd activity on your PC that isn't obvious.
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Admiral

Sounds like my computer....I use Spybot and Adaware which I run daily. Also have Norton and McAfee.

Norton finds my annoying (as Cynic puts it) "bugger" called Wintools which it (Norton) won't delete, nor will McAffee. I have spent hours on the net trying to figure out how to get rid of it and it won't go away!
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have the same problem, can't figure it out.

Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Also does everyone run regular "windows updates"?

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

i took my laptop to best buy today and hopefully they will get all the crap off of my computer! they are going to do the factory restoration on my computer so it is like new again, personalize the tool bar so it doesnt take foreverrrrrrrr to start up when i turn it on, and add spybot. hopefully i wont have a huge problem with spyware again in the near future!! thanks for everyones help!
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Admiral

I run adaware, and Norton Internet Securities (with Norton AntiVirus and AntiSpam), I also have the yahoo toolbar with AntiSpy. I run this one at start up and it does kill the things that Norton doesn't. I also have an additional popup stopper running. I do not EVER get popups. I run adaware once per week to scan for adware/spyware then I run Norton to scan for viruses and after I am done, I run the yahoo antispam. Normally, there is nothing left when I am done. I usually only see about 5 items, most not critical.

I run IE6 and am happy with it. I have been where you are. I am comfortable editing the registry so I can remove things that are hiding in there. I used to take my computer in for service, but I have become very akilled at editing the registry. I have not sent my computer in for service in two years. I clear it all myself. Now that I run all these programs, I don't normally need to bother with the registry anymore except to remove some programs that are still in there after an uninstall.

To remove Wintools, go to:
Symantec

To remove TIBS
go to this site and use the automatic remover.
TIBS REMOVAL

Also, be sure to do all critical updates in windows.

Post Edited (03-12-05 08:02)
Old March 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Lynne and Trevor

Hi.
We use Norton and AdAware, which we have notched up to the higher level. Also, lately, sometimes I can't turn off the computer unless I install the updates-Internet Explorer. If I go to standby or restart, I get the same thing. If I try to turn if off another way, the computer goes into a fit. So, since I had to leave in a hurry the other night, I just clicked the turn off as usual and the updates went to work. It turned off the computer automatically.
Last night the site I was on was unusually sluggish.We checked the local disk and Trevor said that we're using more gygs than usual. Hmmmmmn. But, we're not getting pop-ups which were annoying. I have noticed, also, that a new spammer or spammers have found our inbox. Immediately deleted, but not getting on a daily basis.

Good luck to all who have computer problems. Trevor has gotten much better at routing out trouble but we are still not near the techie stage!! Lynne