Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Default help! leaving in two weeks and need to lose 7-10 pounds

Hi, I am leaving on my first cruise April 9th on the Jewel of the Seas and I didn't lose as much weight as I wanted. I have two weeks before I leave and I would like to lose between 7-10 more pounds. Does anyone have advise what they have done for a quick fix? Thank you, Terri
Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
cali-croozer

Default Re: help! leaving in two weeks and need to lose 7-10 pounds

If you have been losing weight steadily, it may be hard to lose 7-10 pounds quickly; sorry. I don't know what your eating habits are, but if you just give up all snacking between meals and eat 3 sensible meals per day, you might shed a few. Adding a daily 30 minute walk might help. If nothing works, don't be sad. You said you've lost some weight and that's great!!!! I would like to lose 10 pounds before my cruise (I do have a little more time than you), but this last 10 is very hard. On the positive side, I haven't gained any of the weight I've lost back. Think positive and have a great cruise.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I lost 125 lbs. once when I went on a cruise.

Left Mrs Kuki at home <G>

Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: help! leaving in two weeks and need to lose 7-10 pou

Thank you for the advise, I have been doing low carb and have lost 11 pounds. I am just getting desperate now. Thanks, Terri
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:27 PM
Beginner

I would love more detail Terri
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Admiral

Congrats on loosing 11 pounds, that is great. You should be proud of yourself. I'd love to lose some weight before our next cruise in November, actually d/h and I are trying to plot out a strategy to start our new way of eating and weight loss. I would try not to stress over the 7-10 pounds you still want to lose. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will come off sooner or later. I am sure you are beautiful with or without those few extra pounds. Go relax and enjoy yourself.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
BoosterMom

I guess you could always try one of those Slender Wrap places. You lose inches instead of pounds those but perhaps if it all got wrapped up and compressed it would seem like you lost it! Congrats on what you have lost. I'm really jealous.........
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
Admiral

I lost 30 lbs since September to December... of course, I was sick @ the time.... but its an added benefit I guess... bought new jeans yesterday 2 sizes SMALLER !!!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Terri - OK I went to a nutritionist a few years ago and lost over 20 lbs. Here are a few tips:

1) Get up in the AM, brush your teeth, drink some OJ and go WALK for 20-25 minutes. If you don't have that much time, at least get some time in EVERY MORNING. This gets your metabolism moving first thing.
2) Get at least 6 servings of fruits or vegetables every day. I ate a salad before every lunch and dinner - fills you up so you eat less and I didn't change from regular dressing - hated that reduced fat/fat free stuff (all they do is add more sugar anyway).
3) DRINK at least 48 oz. of water each day. Always drink a glass before eating a meal.
4) Don't cut out all fats, your body needs some every day, just like a car needs oil, so does your body.

I don't know if you'll get the full 10 lbs. off, but I can just about guarantee at least 5 lbs. I'm trying to get off another 5, and I'll be doing it - I leave on Apr. 10!!

Good Luck!!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Yeoman

A new study I just read on metabolism and exercise....says to break up your exercise routine into 3 seperate sessions daily. This is supposed to "reset" the hypothalamus and give your metabolism a big boost. It can't hurt! I changed my routine and lost 11 # in 11 days with same diet (low calorie/low fat/low carb). I had been stuck for 2 weeks just maintaining with diet an exeercise once a day.

Lesley
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
AR

Everything I read says that one of the keys to success in weight loss is to set realistic goals. If you expect too much of yourself you just set yourself up for disappointment and failure. Yours may well not be a realistic goal.

Is there a really meaningful difference whether you go on your cruise three pounds lighter than now or seven? Seems like an unnecessarily severe goal.

I started a diet on the first of the year, and I'm pretty happy. I've lost about 25 pounds total, and during that time have spent a week on a cruise followed by a week in Palm Springs. Then a few weeks later we went to Palm Beach for another week. My goal was simply not to gain weight while on vacation. I felt that was a challenging but realistic goal, and I managed to achieve it on both trips for all three weeks. I managed to hold the status quo all the time I was away, which means at least I didn't have to retrace any ground.

I think it's because I had a positive rather than negative view about "just holding the line" while on vacation that I was able to continue the weight loss without getting discouraged.

Basically I'm doing South Beach combined with many miles on stationery bike and some work with weights. I'm lucky that my wife is on the wagon with me, so we have a mutual support group. We find that a key to shipboard dieting is to stay away from the buffets. Going to the dining room puts you in a position where portion control can help make up for any small transgressions. And of course, even though we know you can order eight entrees if you want to, we don't.

Anyway, 25 down and 20 to go. Slow and steady. I find that 2 pounds a week is about the average for me. It was more in the beginning, of course.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

So far you've gotten several different approaches to losing weight, each one is different, so each one has it's value. If you don't lose what you want before the cruise, don't beat yourself up mentally, just go and have a good time. One year or twenty years from now, I hope the most important thing you remember about your cruise is NOT what you weighed while on the cruise, instead remember the good time you had. Look at the BIG PICTURE and be healthy and happy. Happy Sailing
Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
Mikes Wifee

If you have the extra $$....the body wraps would help you loose inches! I lost 10 inches in about 2 hours. You are wrapped head to toe in a wrapping of soaked mineral bandages, once the wrap is complete you exercise non-stop for about an hour, every 15 minutes you get the liquid taken out of your body and you get basted again! Sounds weird but it works!
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Buy bigger clothes, tell everyone you lost weight and that you have to eat a lot to gain the pounds you lost.

Have a good time on the cruise and worry about the extra pounds when you get back.

Bill
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Admiral

In reality there is no such thing as a "quick-fix" when it comes to weight loss. Sure you could try the liquids, pills etc, but as soon as you stop them and start eating "normal" again you will put the weight and then some more back on.
A reasonable weight loss is 2-3lb per week, 5 lbs is pushing your system.
What worked for me was cutting back on the empty sugars, carbs, eating lean protein, veggies, fruit, drinking water and getting up and moving.
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

I suggest you change your diet for the upcoming two weeks to fish only. I have a recipe I use that will guarantee you to lose the pounds.

First take a filet of fish, preferably a white fish like grouper, tilapia, orange roughy, etc. and place it on a plank of wood, preferably hickory, wrapped in foil with maybe a slice of lemon inside. You want to grill the fish. Never fry it. Place the fish on the grill, very hot grill by the way so you sear it quickly. After about 15 minutes remove it from the grill and unwrap the foil. Throw the fish away and eat the hickory plank and lemon.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Yeoman

Thomas, That's great! I love that. I'm sure you could substitute lime as well!

I just quit having my chocolate milk fix at night before bed. I also stopped deserts and everything else at night. Have a good breakfast and cut the late night eating. Lots of walking helps too! Get a pair of 3lbs ankle weights. Wear them while you're doing the dishes, vacuuming, laundry etc, it's like working out.

Don't worry about looking like a model on your cruise. There are MANY different shapes on cruises and I'm sure you'll look fantastic.

Holiday May 2000
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

If that low carb plan you have been following is Atkins go back to the induction phase for the 2 weeks. It should boost your loss.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for all of the advise!! I am going to have a great time. Thanks again, Terri